|Municipality of Badian|
Map of Cebu with Badian highlighted
|Region||Central Visayas (Region VII)|
|District||7th district of Cebu|
|Barangays||29 (see Barangays)|
|• Type||Sangguniang Bayan|
|• Mayor||Carmencita L. Lumain|
|• Vice Mayor||Fructuoso A. Caballero|
|• Congressman||Peter John D. Calderon|
|• Electorate||26,418 voters (2019)|
|• Total||110.07 km2 (42.50 sq mi)|
|Elevation||473 m (1,552 ft)|
|• Density||340/km2 (890/sq mi)|
|• Income class||3rd municipal income class|
|• Poverty incidence||36.84% (2015)|
|• Revenue (₱)||75,394,095.19 (2016)|
|Time zone||UTC+8 (PST)|
|IDD : area code||+63 (0)32|
|Climate type||tropical climate|
Badian, officially the Municipality of Badian, (Cebuano: Lungsod sa Badian; Tagalog: Bayan ng Badian), is a 3rd class municipality in the province of Cebu, Philippines. According to the 2015 census, it has a population of 37,912 people.
Badian is 98 km (61 mi) southwest of Cebu City.
Badian comprises 29 barangays:
The main barangay of Badian is Poblacion, located in the center of the town. It is the only urban barangay, and the most populous of Badian. It contains the hospital and the marketplace where most of the trading takes place. Many vendors from all over town trade here particularly at weekends.
Poblacion is where the local high school is located. Badian National High School (BNHS) is one of two high schools in Badian. This is also the larger of the two and many students come from neighboring towns to study here. The lower educational facility in Badian is the Badian Central Elementary School where all the younger children go to school.
Poblacion is also the location of the church of Santiago Apostle, whose feast day is celebrated each 25 July. Together with the feast of Santiago Apostle is the Banig Festival which was started about 3 years ago.
|Population census of Badian|
|Source: Philippine Statistics Authority|
The Kawasan Falls, a three-layered waterfall, is one of the popular tourist destinations in the province. Canyoning tours are offered upstream of the Kawasan Falls, where the Matutinao river flows through a secluded canyon. There is also the Badian mountain range and the popular trekking destination of Osmeña Peak.
The town's jurisdiction includes Zaragosa or Badian Island, where there is a white sandy private beach and which from there snorkeling and diving activities can be arranged. Nearby Pescador Island, Moalboal offers corals and marine life for divers.
Other tourist attractions of Badian include:
- Cebu International Golf and Resort in Lambug (the only 18‑hole, par‑72 course golf course in the town)
- the manicured gardens of Terra Manna beach and camping resort
- Lambug Beach
- crab hunting in the mangroves.
- "Municipality". Quezon City, Philippines: Department of the Interior and Local Government. Retrieved 31 May 2013.
- "Province: Cebu". PSGC Interactive. Quezon City, Philippines: Philippine Statistics Authority. Retrieved 12 November 2016.
- Census of Population (2015). "Region VII (Central Visayas)". Total Population by Province, City, Municipality and Barangay. PSA. Retrieved 20 June 2016.
- "PSA releases the 2015 Municipal and City Level Poverty Estimates". Quezon City, Philippines. Retrieved 12 October 2019.
- Census of Population and Housing (2010). "Region VII (Central Visayas)". Total Population by Province, City, Municipality and Barangay. NSO. Retrieved 29 June 2016.
- Censuses of Population (1903–2007). "Region VII (Central Visayas)". Table 1. Population Enumerated in Various Censuses by Province/Highly Urbanized City: 1903 to 2007. NSO.
- "Province of Cebu". Municipality Population Data. Local Water Utilities Administration Research Division. Retrieved 17 December 2016.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Badian.|
|Wikivoyage has a travel guide for Badian.|
Private Transportation in Badian