Map of Cebu with Badian highlighted
|Region||Central Visayas (Region VII)|
|District||7th district of Cebu|
|Barangay||29 (see § Barangays)|
|• Type||Sangguniang Bayan|
|• Mayor||Carmencita Lumain (LP)|
|• Vice mayor||Toting Caballero|
|• Town Council|
|• Representative||Peter John Calderon|
|• Total||110.07 km2 (42.50 sq mi)|
|Population (2015 census)|
|• Density||340/km2 (890/sq mi)|
|• Voter (2016)||23,588|
|Time zone||PST (UTC+8)|
|IDD : area code||+63 (0)32|
|Income class||3rd class|
Badian is a 3rd municipal income class municipality in the province of Cebu, Philippines. According to the 2015 census, it has a population of 37,912. In the 2016 election, it had 23,588 registered voters.
Badian comprises 29 barangays:
The main barangay of Badian is Poblacion, located in the center of the town. It is the only urban and the most populous barangay of Badian. It contains the hospital and the marketplace where most of the trading takes place. Many vendors from all over town trade here particularly at weekends.
Poblacion is where the local high school is located. Badian National High School (BNHS) is one of two high schools in Badian. This is also the largest of the two and many students come from neighboring towns to study here. The lower educational facility in Badian is the Badian Central Elementary School where all the younger children go to school.
Poblacion is also the location of the Church of Santiago Apostle, whose feast day is celebrated each 25 July. Together with the Feast of Santiago Apostle is the Banig Festival which was started about 3 years ago.
|Population census of Badian|
|Source: Philippine Statistics Office|
The Kawasan Falls, a three-layered waterfall, is one of the popular tourist destinations in the province. Canyoning tours are offered upstream of the Kawasan Falls, where the Matutinao River flows through a secluded canyon. There is also the Badian Mountain Range and the popular trekking destination of Osmeña Peak.
The town's jurisdiction includes Zaragosa or Badian Island. At Badian Island there is a white sandy private beach and from there snorkeling and diving activities can be arranged. Nearby Pescador Island offers corals and marine life for divers.
Other tourist attractions of Badian include
- Cebu International Golf and Resort in Lambug (the only 18‑hole, par‑72 course golf course in the town)
- the manicured gardens of Terra Manna beach and camping resort
- Lambug Beach
- and crab hunting in the mangroves
- "Municipality". Quezon City, Philippines: Department of the Interior and Local Government. Retrieved 31 May 2013.
- "Municipal: Badian, Cebu". PSA. Philippines: National Statistical Coordination Board. Retrieved 8 January 2016.
- "Region VII (CENTRAL VISAYAS)". Census of Population (2015): Total Population by Province, City, Municipality and Barangay (Report). PSA. Retrieved 20 June 2016.
- "2016 National and Local Elections Statistics". Commission on Elections. 2016.
- "Region VII (CENTRAL VISAYAS)". Census of Population and Housing (2010): Total Population by Province, City, Municipality and Barangay (Report). NSO. Retrieved 29 June 2016.
- "Region VII (CENTRAL VISAYAS)". Census of Population (1995, 2000 and 2007): Total Population by Province, City and Municipality (Report). NSO. Archived from the original on 24 June 2011.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Badian.|