Badland (video game)
App icon on iTunes
Badland (stylized BADLAND) is a mobile video game developed by Frogmind Games and released on the iOS and Android platforms. It was released on Windows Phone 8 in June 2014. There is also a Game of the Year Edition that was released in May 2015 for PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, PlayStation Vita, Xbox One, Wii U and Steam for Linux, Microsoft Windows and OS X.
The player flies around a little black creature named Clony through the woods of the game. Beginning in Day 1 Dawn, the game progresses through four stages which consist of Dawn, Noon, Dusk, and Night, each with a separate color scheme and new theme of traps. As the player goes through Day 1, egg shaped machines begin to come out of the water of the background. Heading into night, the machines begin to turn on and the game becomes harder as the machines become part of the dangers of the forest. Eventually the character succeeds in doing something to the machines and the machines become dormant once again, until Day 2 begins it all over. Most of Day 2 is similar in plot structure, but smaller octopus-like machines begin to make themselves known and the animals in the forest begin to disappear. The last level includes saving a rabbit that was hanging by its foot and eventually coming to fly in front of a giant eye of one of the machines, leaving a cliffhanger into possible future updates. Also included in the game are possible in-app purchases that continue the story with some of Clony's friends, including ones nicknamed Snorfy and Fury, featured in their own level packs. Early 2014, level pack Doomsday was released, featuring Fury and his escape from the machine infested woods. Also included is the Daydream level pack in which Snorfy escapes finding the magic of the forest makes the woods not all as it seems to be.
The game won Apple Inc.'s 2013 iPad Game of the Year award. It also won the Grand Prix award in the 9th annual International Mobile Gaming Awards. The game has a Metacritic score of 85% based on 20 critic reviews.
- Webster, Andrew (Nov 29, 2013). "Twisted iOS hit 'Badland' now on Android". The Verge. Retrieved Apr 4, 2014.
- Litchfield, Steve (Jun 4, 2014). "BADLAND arrives on Windows Phone - rolling, flapping(!) and jumping fun". All About Windows Phone. Retrieved Jun 6, 2014.
- Vikki Blake (January 30, 2015). "Badland: GotY Edition Coming In Spring 2015". IGN. Retrieved January 30, 2015.
- Kubba, Sinan (Dec 17, 2013). "Ridiculous Fishing, Badland win App Store's Best of 2013 awards". Joystiq. Retrieved Apr 4, 2014.
- Priestman, Chris (Mar 21, 2014). "Badland wins the Grand Prix award at this year's IMGAs". Pocket Gamer. Retrieved Apr 4, 2014.
- "Badland". Metacritic.
|This action game–related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|