Bae, also spelled Bai or Pae, is a Korean family name. The South Korean census of 2000 found 372,064 people by this surname, or slightly less than 1% of the population. . In a study by the National Institute of the Korean Language based on 2007 application data for South Korean passports, it was found that 96.8% of people with this family name spelled it in Latin letters as Bae. Rarer alternative spellings (the remaining 3.2%) included Bai, Pae, and Bea.
There are two different ways to write the name in hanja: the most common (裵), and an alternative (裴) which lacks the "stem" (亠, Radical 8) at the top. A common question when people sharing this surname meet is, "Does your pear have a stem or not?", as the Korean word for "pear" is also bae.
- Bae Doona (배두나, born 1979), South Korean model and actress
- Bae Eun-sik (배은식), South Korean actor who often portrays Kim Jong-il
- Pae Kil-su (배길수, born 1972), North Korean gymnast
- Bae Jeong-min (배정민, born 1975), South Korean voice actor
- Bae Jong-ok (배종옥, born 1964), South Korean actress
- Bae Seul-ki (배슬기, born 1986), South Korean pop singer
- Bae Soo-bin (배수빈, born 1976), South Korean actor
- Pae Tal-jun (배달준, born 1936), high-ranking North Korean politician and bureaucrat
- Bae Yong-joon (배용준, born 1972), South Korean actor
- Bae Yong-kyun (배용균, born 1951), South Korean film director
- Bae Young-soo (배영수, born 1981), South Korean baseball player
- Bae Hae-min (배해민, born 1988), South Korean footballer
- Bae Ki-jong (배기종, born 1983), South Korean footballer
- Bae Suzy (배수지, born 1994), South Korean actress and a member of girl group Miss A
- Bae Sang-moon (배상문, born 1986), South Korean professional golfer
- Irene Bae (Bae Joo-hyun 배주현, born 1991), member of South Korean girl group Red Velvet
- Woohee (Bae Woo-hee 배우희, born 1991), member of the South Korean girl group Dal Shabet
- "행정구역(구시군)/성씨·본관별 가구 및 인구" [Family names by administrative region (district, city, county): separated by bon-gwan, households and individuals]. Korean Statistical Information Service. Retrieved 23 October 2015.
- 성씨 로마자 표기 방안: 마련을 위한 토론회 [Plan for romanisation of surnames: a preparatory discussion]. National Institute of the Korean Language. 25 June 2009. p. 58. Retrieved 22 October 2015.
|This page or section lists people with the surname Bae. If an internal link intending to refer to a specific person led you to this page, you may wish to change that link by adding the person's given name(s) to the link.|