Suzy in May 2018
October 10, 1994
Buk District, Gwangju, South Korea
|Revised Romanization||Bae Su-ji|
Bae Su-ji (Korean: 배수지; born October 10, 1994), better known as Suzy, is a South Korean actress and singer. She was a member of the girl group Miss A under JYP Entertainment. She rose to fame with her roles in television series Dream High (2011) and Gu Family Book (2013). She is also best known for her roles in While You Were Sleeping (2017) and Vagabond (2019).
Suzy was born in Buk District, Gwangju, South Korea on October 10, 1994, to Bae Wan-young and Jeong Hyun-sook. She has an older sister, Bae Su-bin, and a younger brother, Bae Sang-moon. She attended School of Performing Arts Seoul and graduated in 2013. Before debuting, she was an online shopping model.
2009–2010: Debut with Miss A
In 2009, she auditioned for Mnet Superstar K and made it through the preliminary round but she was ultimately eliminated. However, she caught the attention of a scout from JYP Entertainment and soon became a trainee.
In March 2010, Suzy became a member of newly-formed group miss A.
2010–2016: Rising popularity and international fame
In October 2010, Suzy became the fixed host for MBC Show! Music Core alongside Minho and Onew, both members of Shinee, and Jiyeon, of T-ara. Suzy later hosted other events such as the Seoul Music Awards, Golden Disc Awards, and Mnet 20's Choice Awards where she won an award under the category "Hot New Star of 2011". Since then, Suzy continues to host many events from music shows to major award ceremonies.
Apart from her group activities, Suzy also ventured into acting. She made her acting debut in the music teen drama Dream High, which aired on KBS from January 3 to February 28. Suzy also released an OST for the drama, titled "Winter Child". The drama was a local success, earning high viewership ratings during its two-month run; and also gained popularity in other countries. At the KBS Drama Awards, Suzy won the Best New Actress award as well as Best Couple award with co-star Kim Soo-hyun. Suzy also became a cast member in KBS TV reality show Invincible Youth 2. The show began filming its first episode on October 19 and aired on November 11.
Suzy made her movie debut in the film Architecture 101 (2012) playing the younger version of the female protagonist. Architecture 101 was one of the ten most-watched films in Korea in the first quarter of 2012, and achieved over 4.1 million admissions nine weeks after its theater release; a new box-office record set for Korean melodramas. The same year, Suzy played a supporting role in KBS drama Big, written by the Hong sisters, alongside Gong Yoo and Lee Min-jung.
She is also the first Korean female celebrity to win a singer rookie award, drama rookie award and film rookie award, having received the Best New Actress award at the 48th Baeksang Arts Awards for her acting performance in Architecture 101. On December 22, 2012, Suzy won the Best Newcomer award in the Variety category at the KBS Entertainment Awards for her stint in Invincible Youth 2 
In 2013, she starred in the historical fusion drama Gu Family Book alongside Lee Seung-gi. She received acting recognition at the MBC Drama Awards, winning the Top Excellence award and at the Seoul International Drama Awards, winning the Outstanding Actress award. She also featured on the variety show Healing Camp, becoming the youngest guest on the show.
In May 2014, Suzy was cast in the film The Sound of a Flower (2015) as Jin Chae-sun, Korea's first female pansori singer. The movie depicts the struggle of a singer who is not allowed to perform in the public because of her gender during the Joseon era. To prepare herself for the role, Suzy received training in pansori for a year. The same year, Suzy collaborated with Taiwanese singer-actor Show Lo in the single "Together In Love", featured in his album Reality Show.
In January 2016, Suzy released a digital single titled "Dream" with Exo's Baekhyun. The song debuted at number one on Gaon's weekly digital chart and proceeded to win the "Best Collaboration" award at the Mnet Asian Music Awards. She then starred in the romance melodrama Uncontrollably Fond with Kim Woo-bin. Suzy released two OSTs for the drama, including a self-composed song. In September 2016, Suzy's wax figure at Madame Tussauds Hong Kong went on display. She is the first Korean female celebrity to receive a wax-likeness of herself at Madame Tussauds.
2017–present: Solo debut
In early 2017, Suzy made her debut as a solo artist with the album titled Yes? No?. Her pre-release single "Pretend" was released on January 17 and achieved an all-kill on music charts. The title track, "Yes, No, Maybe" was released a week after, on January 24, 2017. In February 2017, Suzy released a duet with singer Park Won, titled "Don't Wait for Your Love". Suzy then returned to television, starring alongside Lee Jong-suk in the fantasy thriller drama While You Were Sleeping which premiered in September 2017. On December 27, following the announcement of Min's departure, JYP Entertainment announced that Miss A had disbanded. Suzy renewed her contract with JYP Entertainment.
In early 2018, it was announced that Suzy would make her comeback in late January. On January 22, Suzy released her pre-release track entitled "In Love with Someone Else", which achieved a real-time all kill. Suzy released her second album titled Faces of Love on January 29 with the title track "Holiday". On February 14, Suzy released a music video for her b-side track, "Sober." On March 9, Suzy released her fourth music video for the single "Midnight", featuring a piano ensemble by Yiruma.
On March 31, 2019, Suzy left JYP Entertainment following the expiration of her contract. She then signed a contract with acting agency Management SOOP. The same year, she starred in the spy-action drama Vagabond, playing a secret agent.
In the media
Following her appearance in the film Architecture 101, she was hailed as Korea's Icon of First Love for her natural acting and innocent charm. She also became one of the most in-demand endorsers in South Korea, and has been hailed a "CF Queen" due to numerous endorsement deals ranging from cosmetics, apparel, up to basic commodities like sugar. She made more than 10 billion won in 2013 with more than 14 endorsement deals in one year.
Awards and nominations
- "Sina Visitor System". weibo.com.
- Russell, Mark (April 29, 2014). K-Pop Now!: The Korean Music Revolution. Tuttle Publishing. p. 96. ISBN 978-1-4629-1411-1.
- 뭇 남성 사로잡은 첫사랑 아이콘 미쓰에이 수지. The Donga Ilbo (in Korean). December 2012.
- 미쓰에이 수지 데뷔 전 쇼핑몰 모델 활동…사진봤더니 [miss A's Suzy shopping mall model past photos revealed]. The Donga Ilbo (in Korean). December 17, 2010.
- "Teen Starlets Finish High School". The Chosun Ilbo. February 8, 2013.
- "'미쓰에이' 수지, "슈퍼스타K 오디션장에서 캐스팅 됐다"" [miss A's Suzy: "I was launched by Superstar K"]. Hankyung (in Korean). April 3, 2012.
- "'음악중심' 지연-수지, MC 하차에 눈물 펑펑 "정들었는데 아쉬워요"". Hankyung (in Korean). October 8, 2012.
- "(서울가요대상) 탁재훈-수지 '2년 연속 MC 맡았어요~'[포토]". Xports News (in Korean). January 31, 2013.
- "MC 이홍기·수지, 골든 세컨드데이 '환상의 짝꿍'". JoongAng Ilbo (in Korean). January 13, 2012.
- "Song Joong-ki and miss A's Suzy to host Mnet's summer show". 10Asia. June 17, 2011.
- "Suzy nominated for "20's Choice" for 3 years in a row". Hancinema. TV Report. July 7, 2013.
- "Viewers slam singer Suzy for her acting". Korea JoongAng Daily. January 6, 2011.
- "탄력받은 '드림하이', 1인자 굳히기?". Osen (in Korean). January 19, 2011.
- "Shin Ha-kyun scores top prize at 2011 KBS Drama Awards". 10Asia. January 2, 2012.
- "Complete cast revealed for new season of KBS' "Invincible Youth"". 10Asia. October 18, 2011.
- "Miss A's Suzy to be featured in new film". Korea JoongAng Daily. December 8, 2011.
- "Miss A's Su-zy Wins Over Critics with Film Debut". The Chosun Ilbo. April 14, 2012.
- "Suzy and Han Ga-in part of soon-to-be No. 1 team in 'Architecture 101'". Korea JoongAng Daily. March 30, 2012.
- "Actors hope to score 'Big' in new show". Korea JoongAng Daily. April 16, 2012.
- "Suzy, the 'most followed' star on Twitter". Korea JoongAng Daily. July 10, 2012.
- "Suzy wins 'Best New Actress' award". Yahoo News. Star Naver. April 28, 2012.
- "Suzy wins one last award for 2012". Korea JoongAng Daily. December 24, 2012.
- "Lee Seung-gi and Suzy to star in drama". Korea JoongAng Daily. February 1, 2013.
- "Su-zy Basking in Limelight as Hottest Starlet". The Chosun Ilbo. July 6, 2013.
- "Ha Ji-won Receives Top Honor at 2013 MBC Drama Awards". 10Asia. December 31, 2013.
- "Israeli TV drama series wins top prize at Seoul International Drama Awards". The Korea Herald. September 5, 2013.
- Yeon, Kang Jung (July 11, 2013) Miss A Suzy to Appear on “Healing Camp”. TenAsia
- "miss A's Suzy to Guest on 'Healing Camp". enewsWorld. July 10, 2013.
- "RYU Seung-ryong and Suzy star in DORIHWAGA". Korean Film Biz Zone. June 24, 2014.
- "Suzy sees former self in 'The Sound of a Flower' singer". The Korea Times. November 20, 2015.
- "Suzy practiced pansori for one year for film". The Korea Times. November 19, 2015.
- "Show Lo releases new MV with Miss A's Suzy". Yahoo News. November 26, 2015.
- "Baekhyun, Suzy duet to premiere". Korea JoongAng Daily. January 4, 2016.
- "Gaon Chart". Retrieved February 3, 2017.
- "[2016 MAMA] miss A′s Suzy and EXO′s Baek Hyun Win in Best Collaboration Category". Mwave. December 3, 2016.
- "Kim Woo-bin and Suzy to costar in new drama". Kpop Herald. August 20, 2015.
- "Kim Woo-bin, Su-zy in Another Magnet for Soap Lovers". The Chosun Ilbo. May 21, 2016.
- "Bae Suzy becomes a singer-songwriter". Kpop Herald. August 3, 2016.
- "Suzy Bae unveils world- first wax figure of herself". Madametussauds.com. September 13, 2016. Archived from the original on January 16, 2017. Retrieved February 3, 2017.
- "Su-zy to Get Place in Hong Kong Wax Museum". The Chosun Ilbo. July 12, 2016.
- "Suzy returns to music to make solo debut". Korea JoongAng Daily. January 10, 2017.
- "miss A's Suzy Asks 'Yes? No?' On First Solo EP". Billboard. January 23, 2017.
- "Suzy sweeps music charts with solo outing, beats Seohyun". Yonhap News Agency. January 17, 2017.
- "Suzy releases video for new single off first solo EP". Yonhap News Agency. January 25, 2017.
- "Park Won and Suzy to collaborate on single". Korea JoongAng Daily. February 18, 2017.
- "Taeyeon, Suzy release new music". Korea JoongAng Daily. March 1, 2017.
- "Singer-actress Suzy cast in new SBS series". Yonhap News Agency. November 28, 2016.
- "Lee Jong-suk, Su-zy to Star in New TV Series This Fall". The Chosun Ilbo. August 5, 2017.
- "missA disbands after seven years". Yonhap News Agency. December 27, 2017.
- "Suzy renews contract with JYP Entertainment". Korea JoongAng Daily. August 3, 2017.
- "Suzy to release EP 'Faces of Love'". Kpop Herald. January 16, 2018.
- "K-Pop Star Suzy Drops Bittersweet Breakup Track 'I'm in Love With Someone Else'". Billboard. January 22, 2018.
- "[SBS Star] Suzy's 'In Love with Someone Else' Sweeps Real Time Charts!". SBS News. January 23, 2018.
- "Suzy returns with second EP 'Faces of Love'". Yonhap News Agency. January 29, 2018.
- "Suzy Goes on a Breezy 'Holiday' in New Music Video: Watch". Billboard. January 29, 2018.
- "Suzy's photos for 'SObeR'". Kpop Herald. January 29, 2018.
- "수지 '잘자 내 몫까지', 이루마와 협업으로 재탄생". Yonhap News Agency (in Korean). March 9, 2018.
- "Singer-actress Suzy to leave JYP". The Korea Times. March 26, 2019. Retrieved March 28, 2019.
- "Singer-actress Suzy signs new contract with Management Soop". Aju Daily. April 8, 2019.
- "Lee Seung-gi, Suzy reunite for drama 'Vagabond'". Kpop Herald. June 5, 2018.
- "Lee Seung-gi, Suzy confident of captivating action scenes in 'Vagabond'". Yonhap News Agency. September 16, 2019.
- "LEE Byung-hun and HA Jung-woo Wrap MOUNT BAEKDU". Korean Film Biz Zone. August 28, 2019.
- "Suzy hurt by expectations". Korea JoongAng Daily. July 31, 2013.
- "Korean stars dubbed 'Nation's first love'". Kpop Herald. June 10, 2016.
- "Suzy is top celebrity for ads". Korea JoongAng Daily. October 17, 2013.
- "Suzy's income tops 10 billion won". Korea JoongAng Daily. April 22, 2013.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Bae Suzy.|