Bagdogra Customs Airport
Airside of Bagdogra Airport
|Owner||Indian Air Force|
|Operator||Airports Authority of India|
|Location||Siliguri, West Bengal, India|
|Elevation AMSL||412 ft / 126 m|
Bagdogra Airport, (IATA: IXB, ICAO: VEBD) is located in about 16 km (9.9 mi) west of the city of Siliguri in the Darjeeling district in northern West Bengal, India. It is operated as a civil enclave at AFS Bagdogra of the Indian Air Force (IAF). It is the gateway airport to the hill station towns of Darjeeling, Kurseong, Mirik, and Kalimpong and the state of Sikkim, and sees thousands of tourists annually. Permits for Foreign tourists intending to journey to Sikkim are issued at this airport. The airport is a major stop in the region with flights connecting Kolkata, New Delhi, Mumbai, Bangalore, Chennai and Guwahati. Air traffic at Bagdogra grew by around 8 percent in 2013. The airport also has regular helicopter flights to Gangtok, the capital of Sikkim. The central government of India conferred customs airport status to the airport in 2002.
The airbase is home to the IAF No. 20 Wing, as also to the Mikoyan-Gurevich MiG-21 (Mig-21) FL fighter aircraft of the No. 8 Squadron and a Helicopter Unit. Along with the airbase at Hasimara, it is responsible for combat air operations over a large area including North Bengal, Sikkim, and if needed, Bhutan. The base caters to all military air traffic for the Indian Army's XXXIII Corps based nearby in Sukna.
The state government had handed over 14.5 acres (59,000 m2) of land to the Ministry of Civil Aviation for developing infrastructure for night landing in 2010. AAI also expanded the apron at the same time, enabling the parking of 5 Airbus A-321 aircraft simultaneously. The IAF, which maintains the ATC and runway, gave permission for night landings by civilian aircraft allowing flights past 6 pm in 2013. 
Airlines and destinations
|Air India||Delhi, Kolkata|
|Druk Air||Bangkok-Suvarnabhumi, Thimphu/Paro|
|IndiGo||Bangalore, Chennai, Delhi, Mumbai, Guwahati, Kolkata|
|Jet Airways||Delhi, Mumbai, Kolkata|
|Pinnacle Air||Asansol-Durgapur, Cooch Behar, Kolkata|
|SpiceJet||Chennai, Delhi, Hyderabad, Kolkata|
- "TRAFFIC STATISTICS - DOMESTIC & INTERNATIONAL PASSENGERS" (JSP). Aai.aero. Retrieved 31 December 2014.
- "TRAFFIC STATISTICS - DOMESTIC & INTERNATIONAL PASSENGERS" (HTML). Aai.aero. Retrieved 31 December 2014.
- "Night-landing facility at Bagdogra soon". The Times of India. 16 January 2010. Retrieved 16 January 2010.
- "International status to Bagdogra airport hailed". The Times of India. 2 October 2002. Retrieved 15 July 2014.
- "IAF nod for Bagdogra night landing". The Telegraph. 2 July 2013. Retrieved 15 July 2014.
- "Vistara to add Guwahati and Bagdogra into its network". Vistara. 2 March 2015. Retrieved 2 March 2015.
- "After Singur flight, Tata takes return flight to Bengal". Hindustan Times. 30 January 2015. Retrieved 1 March 2015.
- Civil Aerodrome Bagdogra (official Airports Authority of India web site)
- Airport information for VEBD at World Aero Data. Data current as of October 2006.
- Baghdogra Airport at theAirDB