The name of the city appears in the form Bageis (in the genitive plural case of the name of its inhabitants, ΒΑΓΝΩΝ or ΒΑΓΗΝΩΝ) on its coins, but Bagis is the form given in the Synecdemos of Hierocles, and Bage in later Notitiae Episcopatuum. Some of its coins add the additional name of KAISAREΩN apparently denoting the additional city name of Caesarea.
The acts of the First Council of Nicaea (325) mention a Pollio as bishop of Baris in that province. Since there is no evidence of a bishopric of that name, Janin (1931), following Adolf von Harnack, consider "Baris" to be an error for "Bagis", while Pétrirdès (1907), who cites Heinrich Gelzer and C. H. Turner, does not accept that correction. Other known bishops of Bagis are Chrysapius or Chrysanthus, who was at the Robber Council of Ephesus in 449, Leonides, who was a signatory of the joint letter that the bishops of Lydia sent in 459 to Byzantine Emperor Leo I the Thracian with regard to the murder of Proterius of Alexandria, and Basilius and Clemens, who were at the Council of Constantinople (879), presumably one of them ordained by Patriarch Ignatius of Constantinople, the other by Photius.
- St. Francesco Antonio Domenico Fogolla, (28 Jun 1898 Appointed - 9 Jul 1900)
- Joaquim Silvério de Souza † (16 Nov 1901 Appointed - 17 May 1905)Bishop of Diamantina.
- Celestin Ibáñez y Aparicio,(12 Apr 1911 - 11 Apr 1946) Bishop of Yan’an [Yenan])
- Jorge Marcos de Oliveira (3 Aug 1946 Appointed - 26 Jul 1954, Bishop of Santo André, Sao Paulo
- Ramón Pastor Bogarín Argaña (1 Dec 1954 Appointed - 19 Jan 1957, Bishop of San Juan Bautista de las Misiones
- Albert Sanschagrin, (12 Aug 1957 - 13 Jun 1967) Bishop of Saint-Hyacinthe, Québec)
- José Afonso Ribeiro, (29 Jan 1979 Appointed - 6 Jul 1988, Prelate of Borba, Amazonas)
- João Evangelista Martins Terra (17 Aug 1988 Appointed - )
- Raymond Janin, v. Bagé, in Dictionnaire d'Histoire et de Géographie ecclésiastiques, vol. VI, 1932, col. 201
- Sophrone Pétridès, "Bageis" in Catholic Encyclopedia (New York 1907)
- Wildwinds.com - Ancient coins from Bageis[permanent dead link]
- Richard Talbert, ed. (2000). Barrington Atlas of the Greek and Roman World. Princeton University Press. p. 62, and directory notes accompanying.
- Lund University. Digital Atlas of the Roman Empire.
- Harnack, Mission und Ausbreitung des Christentums in den ersten drei Jahrhunderten, p. 486
- "CATHOLIC ENCYCLOPEDIA: Bageis".
- Annuario Pontificio 2013 (Libreria Editrice Vaticana 2013 ISBN 978-88-209-9070-1), p. 845