The Baggins End Domes, also known as The Domes or the Davis Domes, are a student housing cooperative at the University of California, Davis built by students in 1972. They are part of the Sustainable Research Area which includes the Student Farm and the Experimental College Gardens. Inspired by Buckminster Fuller, there are 14 domes, featuring painted fiberglass-shell exteriors, the insides of which were coated with sprayed polyurethane foam, and "core-walls" with a kitchen on one side and a bathroom on the other. On January 25, 2011, an announcement was made by Student Housing that no new leases will be granted for the following academic year. The Sustainable Living/ Learning Task Force with faculty and students was initiated to investigate options.
Domes residents, also known as Domies, ended up collaborating with the Solar Community Housing Association (SCHA) cooperative in Davis, California. SCHA and Domies raised money to repair the domes and lobbied the university to transfer management of the Domes to SCHA. A community build event was held on November 3–6, where hundreds of volunteers performed the majority of the work, which included creating wheelchair accessible pathways and gardens, building new railings, and patching foam.
- Student Housing (2011-07-20). "UC Davis Student Housing: Cooperatives". Web.archive.org. Archived from the original on March 20, 2012. Retrieved 2012-08-25.
- "Baggins End". Ecotopia.com. Retrieved 2012-08-25.
- "Domes At UC Davis Set to Close This Summer". CBS Sacramento. 2011-02-11. Retrieved 2012-08-25.
- Julia Ann Easley (2011-02-02). "Task force explores new era, as Baggins End ends". dateline.ucdavis.edu. Retrieved 2012-08-25.
- "Sustainability Begs Us to Save the Domes". The Davis Voice. 2011-02-14. Archived from the original on 2012-03-20. Retrieved 2012-08-25.
- "Domes supporters to rally for community". The Aggie. 2011-05-24. Retrieved 2012-08-25.
- "Baggins End Domes get shown some love". The Aggie. 2011-11-07. Retrieved 2012-08-25.
- Jonathan Edwards (2011-11-06). "Dome sweet dome: Volunteers revamp UCD landmark". Davis Enterprise. Retrieved 2012-08-25.
- facebook.com - Save the Domes
- UC Davis News Service (2012-01-12). "Students return to Baggins End domes at UC Davis". Davis Enterprise. Retrieved 2012-08-25.