|Born||January 1, 1916
v. Bardzravan (currently Mutsk)
|Died||November 19, 2001
"St. Gregory the Illuminator" medal,Golden Medal of the Academy of Arts of the USSR (1991)
|Buildings||Alex and Marie Manoogian Treasury Museum, Holy Trinity Church in Yerevan|
|Design||Golden Alphabet, Golden Cross|
Baghdasar Arzoumanian (1916 - 2001) (Armenian: Բաղդասար Արզումանյան, also Bagdasar, Paghtasar, Paghtassar, Baghdik, Bagdik, Arzumanian, Arzoumanyan, Arzumanyan) was an Armenian architect and designer based in Yerevan, Armenia. He was the author of a large corpus of civil and religious buildings as well as many smaller design works.
- 1 Education and background
- 2 Civil buildings
- 3 Service to the Mother See of Holy Etchmiadzin (1956–2001)
- 4 Medals and awards
- 5 Gallery
- 6 Bibliography
- 7 Films
- 8 See also
- 9 References
Education and background
Baghdasar Arzoumanian was born in v. Mutsk (formerly Mazra, Bardzravan) of Syunik Province, Armenia. From 1928 to 1936 he studied at the Technical School after Alexander Tamanyan. In 1938 he was admitted to the Constructions Department of the Institute for Polytechnical Sciences of Yerevan. In 1942 he was recruited into the Soviet army and took part in World War II. He served in the army until 1946 when he returned to Yerevan to continue his studies. He graduated from the Institute in 1949. During his professional career he worked with "Yerevan Project" Institute and the Mother See of Holy Etchmiadzin and provided valuable input into 20th century Armenian architecture. He died on November 19, 2001 in Yerevan. Bishop Paren Avetikian visited the family of the architect to present the condolences of the Mother See of Holy Echmiadzin and Karekin II, Catholicos of All Armenians.
Arzoumanian is the author of many civil buildings in Armenia. Below is a list of his most important buildings:
- City hall of Vanadzor and Hotel Gougark in the Hayk Square (then known as Kirov Square) of the city of Vanadzor (coauthor: Hovhannes Margarian), completed during the 1950s.
- Erebuni Museum (1968, coauthor: Shmavon Azatian).
- Museum dedicated to 2450th anniversary of establishment of Samarkand, Uzbekistan.
- Metro Station "David of Sasoun", Armenian: Սասունցի Դավիթ (coauthors: Sargis Nersisian and Areg Israyelian).
- Degustation Hall of the Yerevan Brandy Factory (coauthors: Sargis Nersisian and Hasmik Alexanian).
- Yerevan Cable-way Station.
Baghdasar Arzoumanian is author/coauthor of the RA Police building in Yerevan, various apartment buildings, reconstruction of Moscow Cinema in Yerevan. He is author of numerous memorials dedicated to the victory in the World War II that are located in various parts of Armenia.
Service to the Mother See of Holy Etchmiadzin (1956–2001)
Along with his architectural works, Baghdasar Arzoumanian left many design works.
Khachkars and memorials
Baghdasar Arzoumanian is author of many khachkars and memorials. Many of them are located on the grounds of the Mother See of Holy Etchmiadzin (i.e. Motherland-Diaspora Memorial). He is also the author of memorial in the Monastery of Geghard, memorial and khachkars next to the Prelacy of the Araratian Patriarchal Diocese.
The Golden Alphabet (1976) and the Golden Cross (1979) of Baghdasar Arzoumanian are very famous all over Armenia and symbolise its past and present. These works are kept in the Pontifical Residence of the Catholicos of All Armenians. Among other works are:
- State Emblem of the Soviet Armenia (1981)
- Souvenir dedicated to the 30th anniversary of service of Vasken I, Catholicos of All Armenians (1985)
The list continues with various crosiers, rings, the liturgical dressing of the Catholicos of All Armenians. Arzoumanian is author of the design of catholicosal medals St. Gregory the Illuminator, St. Sahak – St. Mesrop, and St. Nerses Shnorhali (Nerses the Gracious).
Chalice of the Catholicos of All Armenians (1965)
Baghdasar Arzoumanian is the author of the Throne Hall of the Catholicos of All Armenians.
Besides iconostases of the churches of his own design, Arzoumanian is the author of the iconostases of following churches:
- St. Sarkis Vicarial Church of Yerevan, Armenia (authors of renovation: Rafayel Israyelian and Artsrun Galikyan),
- St. Catherine Armenian Church of Saint Petersburg, Russia.
There are a number of graphical works by Baghdasar Arzoumanian which include design of Etchmiadzin Monthly, Catholicosal Decrees, designs of various books, friendly jests. Baghdasar Arzoumanian is the graphical designer and the author of the text of the book "Armenian Churches".
Baghasar Arzoumanian is the author of the tombstones of:
- Vazgen I, Catholicos of All Armenians,
- Karekin I, Catholicos of All Armenians,
- Saint Mesrob Mashtots.
Baghdasar Arzoumanian is author of 8 Armenian churches and 2 renovation projects.
Arzoumanian is the author of renovation of the following churches:
- St. John the Baptist Church of Yerevan (entire renovation and the bell-tower),
- St. Gregory the Illuminator Church of the Kinali Island, Turkey.
Baghdasar Arzoumanian is the architect of the following churches:
- St. Gregory the Illuminator Armenian Church in Odessa, Ukraine (1995),
- St. Sarkis Church of Nork District of Yerevan, Armenia (1999),
- Holy Resurrection Church of Nerkin Dvin, Armenia,
- Holy Resurrection Church of Spitak, Armenia (1999),
- Holy Martyrs Church of Kashatagh, Nagorno-Karabakh Republic (2002, the church was consecrated after his death),
- St. Hakob (James) Church of Gyumri, Armenia (2002, the church was consecrated after his death),
- St. Hakob (James) Church of the Vaskenian Theological Academy near Sevan, Armenia
- Holy Trinity Church of Yerevan, Armenia (2005, the church was consecrated after his death).
St. Gregory the Illuminator Armenian Church in Odessa
See also video of St. Gregory the Illuminator Armenian Church in Odessa.
Medals and awards
- St. Gregory the Illuminator Medal
- Golden Medal of the Academy of Arts of the USSR (1991)
- Title of Merited Constructor of Armenia (1966)
Baghdasar Arzoumanian also holds numerous medals for his military career during World War II (2nd Order Medal of the Patriotic War, Red Star Medal, Medal of Honour, Medal of Bravery, Medal for Victory against Germany, Medal for Taking Kyoniksberg, Medal of Marshal Baghramian).
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Baghdasar Arzoumanian.|
Memorial on the wall of the building where he lived during 1958-2001 (authored by Getik Baghdasaryan)
- There are 30 bibliographical references in the book of Varazdat Harutyunyan devoted to Baghdasar Arzoumanian: Հարությունյան, Վարազդատ (2004). Նորօրյա Ոսկեձեռիկը. ճարտարապետ Բաղդասար Արզումանյանի կյանքն ու ստեղծագործական վաստակը (in Armenian). Holy Etchmiadzin: Mother See of Holy Etchmiadzin. p. 100. ISBN 99930-75-23-X..
- Harutyunyan, Varazdat (1996). Ճարտարապետ Բաղդասար Արզումանյանի ծննդյան 80-ամյակի առթիվ [For the Occasion of 80th Birthday Anniversary of Baghdasar Arzoumanian] (in Armenian). Etchmiadzin Monthly. Archived from the original on August 11, 2011. Retrieved March 8, 2010.
- АВАКЯН, Светлана (August 27, 2011). ЧЕЛОВЕК КАМНЯ . Golos Armenii (in Russian). Archived from the original on March 17, 2012. Retrieved August 29, 2011., Google Translation.
- Tadevosyan, Anahit (Author); Tatintsyan, Arpine (Director) (2006). The Skillful (Armenian: Ոսկեձեռիկը). Yerevan, Armenia: Public Television of Armenia.
- Mikayelyan, Martin; Martirosyan, Sahak (2000). The Architect (Armenian: Ճարտարապետը). Yerevan, Armenia.
- Academic and Architect Varazdat Harutyunyan speaking about Baghdasar Arzoumanian (April 2007, in Armenian)
- See the Letter of Bishop Paren Avetikian to the Family of Baghdasar Arzoumanian.
- See Erebuni Museum of the Establishment of Yerevan. Also see some photos at Wikimedia Commons.
- Currently Samarkand Museum of History
- Alex and Marie Manoogian Museum
- Alex Manoogian, the president of Armenian General Benevolent Union and benefactor of the museum, expressed his warm gratefulness for the realization of the wonderful project. See Letter of Alex Manoogian to Baghdasar Arzoumanian (October 26, 1982, in Armenian).
- Inaugural Speech of His Holiness Vazgen I
- Ghazaryan, Vatche, ed. (2005). The Wonderful Alphabet (PDF) (in English and Armenian). New York: Diocese of the Armenian Church of America (Eastern). p. 20. Retrieved 2010-02-27.
- See Pontifical Residence Museum
- Արզումանյան, Բաղդասար (1970). Հայկական եկեղեցիները. պատկերագիրք. Sophia: Lisbon: Calouste Gulbenkian Foundation.
- See St. John the Baptist Church.
- See Nor Nork, St. Sarkis Church.
- See N. Dvin, Church of Holy Resurrection.
- See Location and Buildings of Vaskenian Theological Academy.
- See Church of the Holy Trinity
- Երևան քաղաքի Մալաթիա-Սեբաստիա համայնքի Սուրբ Երրորդություն եկեղեցու հիմնարկեքը և օծումը (in Armenian)
- Susanna Margaryan (2005-11-22). "ԹՈՂ ՕԾՅԱԼ ՍԲ. ԵՐՐՈՐԴՈՒԹՅԱՄԲ ԶՈՐԱՆԱ 1700-ԱՄՅԱ ՄԵՐ ՀԱՎԱՏՔԸ" [Let be strengthened our 1700 years old faith with the Holy Trinity church consecrated]. Azg Daily. Retrieved 2010-12-15.
- See Golden Medal of the Academy of Arts of the USSR (Russian).