|Elevation||6 m (20 ft)|
|• Official||Bengali, English|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
|ISO 3166 code||IN-WB|
|Lok Sabha constituency||Uluberia|
|Vidhan Sabha constituency||Bagnan|
Bagnan is a census town in Bagnan I CD Block in Howrah district in the state of West Bengal, in eastern India. It has one of the busiest railway stations in South Eastern Railway Zone within West Bengal.
- 1 Geography
- 2 Demographics
- 3 Education
- 4 The Railway Station
- 5 Transport
- 6 Sports and Leisures
- 7 Hotel & Hall
- 8 References
As per 2011 Census of India Bagnan had a total population of 10,996 of which 5,536 (50%) were males and 5,460 (50%) were females. Population below 6 years was 1,226. The total number of literates in Bagnan was 8,388 (85.85% of the population over 6 years).
As of 2001[update] India census, Bagnan had a population of 8,779. Males constitute 51% of the population and females 49%. Bagnan has an average literacy rate of 68%, higher than the national average of 59.5%; with 55% of the males and 45% of females literate. 12% of the population is under 6 years of age.
- Bagnan High School; established in 1854
- Bagnan Adarsha Balika Vidyalaya; girls school, established in 1964
- Mugkalyan High School; in Mugkalyan, established 1866.
- Benapur Chandanapara High School
- Bantul Mahakali High School; established at 1916.
- Chandravag Srikrishna Girl's High School
- Bagnan Girls High School
- Tenpur Nabasan Anantaram High School
- Nabasan High School
- Gupimohan High School
- D.M.B. High School
- Baidyanathpur High School
- Bangalpur U.C. High School ( H.S.); established at 1933.
- Shalukpara Madrash Ashraful Uloom; private Madrasha
- Shalukpara Upper Primary School
- Bagnan Primary School (Govt), O.T road, near Telephone exchange
- Khalore Kali bari Primary School(Govt), Beside Khalore Maa Kali temple.
- St. Thomas school(Pvt), near registry office, bagnan
- Notobor memorial academy(Pvt), Chandrapur
- Children's academy(Pvt), near Block Agri office
- Swami Vivekananda School(Pvt), Khalore
- Path Bhawan(Pvt), near Khalore Maa Kali Temple.
- Little Millennium Pre primary(Pvt) - Near Bagnan-II BD Office, Kolapara Kamarshal.
- Chandanapara Children's Academy(Pvt)
- Many more...
- Bagnan College is affiliated to University of Calcutta. The college was founded in July 1958 with only arts faculty. In 1966 the faculty of commerce and in 1974 the faculty of science faculty was added. The college is accredited by the NAAC with B-grade since 2005.
The Railway Station
One of the key features of Bagnan is its railway station. It is by far the busiest railway station in South Eastern Railway Zone within West Bengal due to its connectivity to other major places Station code : BZN No. of Platforms : 5 (North to south)
Bus Routes With Number
- JM5 Esplanade – Bagnan - Shyampur
- 68 Bagnan – Kamalpur
- 76 Bagnan – Amta
- 78 Bagnan – Joypur
- L7 Howrah Station - Bagnan – Gadiara
Bus Routes Without Number
- Bagnan — Gadiara
- Bagnan — Ruby Hospital
- Bagnan — Salt Lake Technopolis
- Gadiara — New Town
- Bagnan – Sealdah
- E7 Esplanade – Bagnan
- E7/1 Esplanade – Shyampur
- E17 Barasat – Digha (via Esplanade)
- E17/1 Barasat – Digha (via Bally Halt)
- E19 Habra – Digha
- E28 Esplanade – Bakshi
Sports and Leisures
There are few cinema halls: Sujata,Chitrabani and Shibani. An annual Book Fair used to happen in January near Bagnan Railway Station.
Khadinan Vivekananda Sangha
Every year this Club organises Day- Night Football Tournament at their football ground in the month of February. This is a popular Tournament in Bagnan. This club also organises the most popular shyama puja of this area.
Bagnan Town club
Beside Khalore GopiMohan shikshyaaotan.
Khalore Yuba Sangha
Beside Khalore GopiMohan shikshyaaotan. Pattron in chief : respected Arunava Sen(Popularly Raja Da), MLA, Bagnan Assembly Conctituency.
Ramchandrapur Sabuj Sangha
One of the pioneers of charity in Bagnan. At Ramchandrapur, Khalore Bagnan. Founder : Late Nityananda Banerjee, Educationist, Social worker and senior advocate, High Court at Calcutta.
Bantul club is a social club located at the east end of the village Bantul. It was established in 1893.
Hotel & Hall
- 16 Parbon Restaurants & Conf. Hall, Bantul, Bagnan
- Hotel Gour Bar & Restaurant
- many more...
- Falling Rain Genomics, Inc - Bagnan
- "C.D. Block Wise Primary Census Abstract Data(PCA)". 2011 census: West Bengal – District-wise CD Blocks. Registrar General and Census Commissioner, India. Retrieved 11 May 2016.
- "Census of India 2001: Data from the 2001 Census, including cities, villages and towns (Provisional)". Census Commission of India. Archived from the original on 2004-06-16. Retrieved 2008-11-01.
- Bagnan College Website
- "Image of Bagnan Station".