The Mercurial Towers and Bagnolet town hall, in 2004
Paris and inner ring départements
|• Mayor (2014–2020)||Tony Di Martino|
|Area1||2.57 km2 (0.99 sq mi)|
|• Density||14,000/km2 (36,000/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+1 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+2 (CEST)|
|INSEE/Postal code||93006 /93170|
|Elevation||57–119 m (187–390 ft)|
|1 French Land Register data, which excludes lakes, ponds, glaciers > 1 km2 (0.386 sq mi or 247 acres) and river estuaries. 2 Population without double counting: residents of multiple communes (e.g., students and military personnel) only counted once.|
On 1 January 1860, the city of Paris was enlarged by annexing neighboring communes. On that occasion, a small part of the commune of Bagnolet was annexed to the city of Paris. At the same time, the commune of Charonne was disbanded and divided between the city of Paris, Bagnolet, and Montreuil. Bagnolet received a small part of the territory of Charonne.
The town used to be the home of the Château de Bagnolet.
International and National coaches serve Bagnolet at Gallieni Metro station.
- Sylvain Distin, footballer
- Koffi Djidji, footballer
- Eduardo Fraschini, cinematographer
- Henri Verneuil, filmmaker
- Cyril Kongo, French graffiti artist
Support for Georges Ibrahim Abdallah
In December 2013, the city's council voted to make Georges Ibrahim Abdallah an "honorary resident." The city council's motion (which did not mention Abdallah's role in the murder of Charles R. Ray) described him as a “communist activist” and a “political prisoner” who “belongs to the resistance movement of Lebanon" and is a "determined defender of the Palestinian just cause." The motion stated that Abdallah's release was being denied “primarily because of the intervention of the US government" and "To call for his liberation, the municipal council declares him an honorary citizen of Bagnolet."
In July 2014, the administrative court in Montreuil revoked the city's motion to grant Abdallah honorary citizenship.
The commune has ten public preschools (maternelles), nine public elementary schools, two public junior high schools (collèges), and a comprehensive public senior high school (lycée polyvalent).
- Junior high schools: Georges-Politzer and Travail / Langevin
- Lycée général et professionnel Eugène-Hénaff
There is a private junior and high school, Lycée professionnel et technologique Saint-Besnoît de l'Europe.
Twin towns – sister cities
Bagnolet is twinned with:
- French locality honors killer of U.S., Israeli diplomats, Jewish Telegraphic Agency, December 13, 2013.
- Le terroriste Georges Ibrahim Abdallah, citoyen d'honneur de Bagnolet: la fin d'un scandale par Jonathan Aleksandrowicz, Actualité juive (AJ), July 7, 2014.
- "Tous les établissements scolaires de Bagnolet." Bagnolet. Retrieved on September 7, 2016.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Bagnolet.|
- Official website (in French)
- aerial photos