|• Mayor (2020–2026)||Tony Di Martino|
|2.57 km2 (0.99 sq mi)|
|• Density||14,000/km2 (36,000/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+01:00 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+02:00 (CEST)|
|Elevation||57–119 m (187–390 ft)|
|1 French Land Register data, which excludes lakes, ponds, glaciers > 1 km2 (0.386 sq mi or 247 acres) and river estuaries.|
Bagnolet (French pronunciation: [baɲɔlɛ] (listen)) is a commune in the eastern suburbs of Paris, France. It is located 5.2 km (3.2 mi) from the center of Paris. Its inhabitants are called Bagnoletais.
On 1 January 1860, the city of Paris was enlarged by annexing neighboring communes. On that occasion, a small part of the commune of Bagnolet was annexed to the city of Paris. At the same time, the commune of Charonne was disbanded and divided between the city of Paris, Bagnolet, and Montreuil. Bagnolet received a small part of the territory of Charonne.
The town used to be the home of the Château de Bagnolet.
|Source: EHESS and INSEE (1968-2017)|
International and National coaches serve Bagnolet at Gallieni Metro station.
- Sylvain Distin, footballer
- Koffi Djidji, footballer
- Eduardo Fraschini, cinematographer
- Henri Verneuil, filmmaker
- Cyril Kongo, French graffiti artist
Support for Georges Ibrahim Abdallah
In December 2013, the city's council voted to make Georges Ibrahim Abdallah an "honorary resident." The city council's motion (which did not mention Abdallah's role in the murder of Charles R. Ray) described him as a “communist activist” and a “political prisoner” who “belongs to the resistance movement of Lebanon" and is a "determined defender of the Palestinian just cause." The motion stated that Abdallah's release was being denied “primarily because of the intervention of the US government" and "To call for his liberation, the municipal council declares him an honorary citizen of Bagnolet."
In July 2014, the administrative court in Montreuil revoked the city's motion to grant Abdallah honorary citizenship.
The commune has ten public preschools (maternelles), nine public elementary schools, two public junior high schools (collèges), and a comprehensive public senior high school (lycée polyvalent).
- Junior high schools: Georges-Politzer and Travail / Langevin
- Lycée général et professionnel Eugène-Hénaff
There is a private junior and high school, Lycée professionnel et technologique Saint-Besnoît de l'Europe.
- "Répertoire national des élus: les maires". data.gouv.fr, Plateforme ouverte des données publiques françaises (in French). 2 December 2020. Retrieved 7 December 2020.
- "Populations légales 2018". The National Institute of Statistics and Economic Studies. 28 December 2020.
- Des villages de Cassini aux communes d'aujourd'hui: Commune data sheet Bagnolet, EHESS. (in French)
- Population en historique depuis 1968, INSEE
- French locality honors killer of U.S., Israeli diplomats, Jewish Telegraphic Agency, December 13, 2013.
- Le terroriste Georges Ibrahim Abdallah, citoyen d'honneur de Bagnolet: la fin d'un scandale par Jonathan Aleksandrowicz, Actualité juive (AJ), July 7, 2014.
- "Tous les établissements scolaires de Bagnolet." Bagnolet. Retrieved on September 7, 2016.
- "La coopération internationale". ville-bagnolet.fr (in French). Bagnolet. Retrieved 2019-11-21.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Bagnolet.|
- Official website (in French)