|Bagri باگڙي زبان|
|Native to||Rajasthan (India)|
|2.1 million (2000)
Census results conflate some speakers with Hindi.
Official language in
|No official status|
Bagri (बागड़ी) (Sindhi: باگڙي زبان) is a dialect of Rajasthani language of the Indo-Aryan family. It is spoken by about five million speakers in Hanumangarh and Sriganganagar districts of Rajasthan, Sirsa and Hissar districts of Haryana, Fazilka of Punjab and some southern villages of Muktsar district of Punjab of India. Bagri as minor language is spoken in Bahawalpur and Bahawalnagar areas of Punjab of Pakistan.
Bagri is a typical Indo-Aryan language having SOV word order. The most prominent phonological feature of Bagri is the presence of three lexical tones: high, level, and low. The Bagri language has a very high 65% lexical similarity with Haryanvi.
Bagri distinguishes 31 consonants including a retroflex series, 10 vowels, 2 diphthongs, and 3 tones.
- There are two numbers: singular and plural.
- Two genders: masculine and feminine.
- Three cases: simple, oblique, and vocative. Case marking is partly inflectional and partly postpositional.
- Nouns are declined according to their final segments.
- All pronouns are inflected for number and case but gender is distinguished only in the third person singular pronouns.
- The third person pronouns are distinguished on the proximity/remoteness dimension in each gender.
- Adjectives are of two types: either ending in /-o/ or not.
- Cardinal numbers up to ten are inflected.
- Both present and past participles function as adjectives.
- There are three tenses and four moods.
- Sentence types are of traditional nature.[clarification needed]
- Coordination and subordination are very important in complex sentences.
- Parallel lexicon are existing and are very important from sociolinguistic point of view.[clarification needed]
|तेरो नाम के है||Tero nāma ke hai||What is your name?|
|किन्नै जावै है?||kinn jāv hai||Where are you going?|
|इन्नै आ||innai ā||Come here|
|क्यूकर है ?||kyūkara hai||How are you?|
|टींगर टीटणं नां मार||ṭīṅgara ṭīṭaṇaṃ nāṃ māra||Hey kid! Don't waste our time.|
|तन्नै कुचरणीं ही करनी है के ?||tannai kučaraṇīṃ hī leṇīṃ hai ke||Do you only want to disturb things?|
|नास में आन्गळी ना ले||nāma meṃ āngaḷī nā le||Don't penetrate finger into nose.|
|बातां गा पीसा लागै है.||bātāṃ gā pīsā lāgai||Talking costs money.|
|सलिमों देखण चालसी के ?||salimoṃ dekhaṇa čālasī ke||Will you go to Cinema?|
|मुह कर जिया बताऊ जिसों या मुंह कर बताऊ बरगो||suha kara jiyā batāū jisoṃ||Your face looks like eggplant.|
|क्यांमी राफ चोड़ी करै है रे?||kyāmī rāpha čoṛī karai hai re||Why are you making your mouth as that of a moron?|
|के करे है?||ke kare ha||What are you doing?|
|रोल्लो है के कोई तेरै||rollo ha ke koī terai||you have any problem|
|तू कठै गयैड़ो हो||too kathai gayairo ho||Where did you go?|
|कठैउं आन लाग रह्यो है?||kaṭhū ān lāga rahyo ha||Where are you coming from?|
Work on Bagri
- Grierson, G. A. 1908. (Reprint 1968). Linguistic Survey of India. Volume IX, Part II. New Delhi: Motilal Banarasidass
- Gusain, Lakhan. 1994. Reflexives in Bagri. M.Phil. dissertation. New Delhi: Jawaharlal Nehru University
- Gusain, Lakhan. 1999. A Descriptive Grammar of Bagri. Ph.D. dissertation. New Delhi: Jawaharlal Nehru University
- Gusain, Lakhan. 2000a. Limitations of Literacy in Bagri. Nicholas Ostler & Blair Rudes (eds.). Endangered Languages and Literacy. Proceedings of the Fourth FEL Conference. University of North Carolina, Charlotte, 21–24 September 2000
- Gusain, Lakhan. 2000b. Bagri Grammar. Munich: Lincom Europa (Languages of the World/Materials, 384)
- Gusain, Lakhan. 2008. Bagri Learners' Reference Grammar. Ann Arbor, Michigan: Northside Publishers
- Wilson, J. 1883. Sirsa Settlement Report. Chandigarh: Government Press
- Rajasthani language
- List of winners of Sahitya Akademi Awards for writing in Rajasthani language
- List of Rajasthani poets
- List of Indian poets#Rajasthani