Baharul Islam (actor)
|Occupation||Actor, theatre artist, director|
|Spouse(s)||Bhagirathi Bai Kadam|
Baharul Islam is an Indian theater actor. An alumnus of the prestigious National School of Drama, Baharul has acted in more than 80 plays, designed and directed 30 plays for his theater troupe Seagull. He is one of the busiest theatre artists in Assam.
He started his career with theater in Assam and soon rose into prominence in India and abroad. In 1992-93 joined "TARA ART" of London as an actor for the production of the play Heer Ranjha. The play rehearsed in London and thereafter extensively toured UK and Japan performing many shows. Baharul learnt theater music from B V Karanth and Bhaskar Chandervakar respectively. His first movie was a Aasene Kunuba Hiyat and latest was Rodor Sithi.
He has directed and played in almost 80 Assamese plays and one among them is Jatra. Also designed and directed almost 30 plays for SEAGULL- his own theater troupe. He as four years experience in commercial mobile Theatre (Bhrayamaman) in Assam as an actor. Performed almost 1200 shows with 16 plays.
He also wrote and Published 4 books.
• Akanto Monere • Simar Sipare • Beyond the Obvious • Khiriki Khuliyei. All books have been published by Seagull Theatre Publication wing.
Publication Board of Assam, Govt of Assam has published KISU KATHA KISU NATAK -a collection of his 6 plays and its production processes. (2012).
Award and recognition
He received Manohar Singh Award 2005 instituted by the National School of Drama approved by Ministry of Culture, Govt of India for path-breaking work in theater.
- Sanskriti Samman from Eka ebong koekjon publication, Guwahati,
- Natyaprobor Award from Sharadakanta Bordoloi smriti committee, Nowgaon in 2011.
- Bishnu Basu Smriti Samman by Bratyajon theatre, Kolkata in 2012.
- Badal SIrcar Rang Ratan Award 2015 from FACT Rang Mahoul Begusarai, Bihar.
- Harishankar Parsai Rashtriya Rang Samman 2016 by Vibechana Rang Mandal, Jabbalpur, MP
- Habib Tanvir Ras Rang Samman 2016 from Ras Kala Manch ROHTAK
- Natyaratna Ugra Mena Award 2017 from Ankuran Assam
- Natasurya Phani Sharma National Award 2017 from National Performing Art Association of India.
- The Underworld (2018)
- Raktabeez (2018)
- Bahniman (2016)
- Rodor Sithi (2014)
- Antaheen Jatra
- Alifa (2016 film)
- Kaal Sandhya
- Jatinga Ityadi
- Samiran Barua Ahi Ase
- Asene Konoba Hiyat (2000)
- Rani Gaidenleu (1997)- Short film
- The Dhulia and Puppet Theatre in Assam (1998)- Documentary
- Lokosanankriti (2005)- Documentary
- Nishant (2009)- Fiction for DDK
- Beyond the Obvious (2010) -Fiction for PPC
- "The Assam Tribune Online". www.assamtribune.com. Archived from the original on 8 December 2015. Retrieved 2 November 2015.
- "Katha Kavya Abhinaya - Baharul Islam, Guwahati - Friday 13 May 2011". www.sangeetnatak.gov.in. Archived from the original on 20 December 2015. Retrieved 2 November 2015.
- "Baharul Islam: I feel like a second class citizen because my last name is Islam - The Times of India". The Times of India. Retrieved 2 November 2015.
- "The Telegraph - Calcutta : Northeast". www.telegraphindia.com. Retrieved 3 November 2015.
- "No middle path". The Hindu. 12 January 2009. ISSN 0971-751X. Retrieved 3 November 2015.
- "Know Baharul Islam, Assamse Actor/Director". AssamSpider.com. Retrieved 3 November 2015.
- "Beyond confines". The Hindu. 19 June 2014. ISSN 0971-751X. Retrieved 3 November 2015.
- "A festival of multiple forms". www.frontline.in. Retrieved 3 November 2015.