Bahauddeen Muhammed Nadwi
|Bahauddeen Muhammed Nadwi
الأستاذ الدكتور بهاء الدين محمد جمال الدين الندوي
Dr. Bahauddeen Muhammed Nadwi chairs Nubuvvet Symposium, Istanbul, Turkey 2013
22 April 1951 |
Kooriyad, Malabar, South India
|Residence||Chemmad, Malappuram, Kerala, India|
|Occupation||Vice Chancellor of Darul Huda Islamic University, Kerala, India|
|Known for||Integration of Islamic higher education; Malayalam translation of the Qur'an|
|Awards||One of the world's 500 most influential Muslims, 2012–2014.
Muslim Star of the Year 2012 (Cairo, Egypt)
Prof. Dr. Bahauddeen Muhammed Jamaluddeen Nadwi (Malayalam: ഡോ. ബഹാഉദ്ദീൻ മുഹമ്മദ് നദ്വി, Arabic: الأستاذ الدكتور بهاء الدين محمد جمال الدين الندوي) is the founding Vice Chancellor of Darul Huda Islamic University and a member of Mushawara of Samastha Kerala Jamiyyathul Ulama, the largest Muslim organization in Kerala. He is one of the 500 most influential Muslims of the world. He has authored and translated many books in various disciplines of Islamic studies and done many lectures around the globe. He has membership in many national and international organizations including International Union of Muslim Scholars.
He is the State General Secretary of Samastha Kerala Jam'iyyathul Mu'allimeen Central Council, a supreme council of religious teachers in Kerala. Dr. Nadwi was elected as one of the world's most influential Muslim personalities in 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015 and 2016 by The Royal Islamic Strategic Studies Centre, Amman, Jordan. In February 2013, Cairo based Islamic web portal onislam.net selected him as one of the ten Muslim Stars of the Year 2012. He is one of the Executive Members of National Monitoring Committee for Minorities Education, a statutory body under the Ministry of Human Resource Development, Govt. of India.
He did the degree of ‘Afzal Al Ulama’ in Arabic Language from the University of Calicut in 1979 and Diploma in Arabic Language Teaching from government of Kerala in 1971. At age 30, he went to North India to pursue higher studies and enrolled in the famous Islamic religious college Darul Uloom Nadwatul Ulama in 1981, at Lucknow in Uttar Pradesh and achieved his ‘Alimiyya’ degree in Arabic Language and Islamic Studies. After two years he won the Fazeelath (Masters) degree in Islamic Studies from the same institution. Later, he earned his master's degree in Arabic Literature from the Aligarh Muslim University in 1987. His first international educational trip was to Al-Azhar University, Egypt to pursue an advanced diploma course in Islamic Preaching.
Back in Kerala, he completed doctoral research on Imam Jalaluddin Al-Suyuti and his contributions to Arabic literature with a special focus to al-Mazhar from the Dept of Arabic, University of Calicut in 1993. Three years later, the same University awarded him the Post Doctoral Fellowship.
Dr. Nadwi is regarded as one of the six founding fathers of Darul Huda Islamic University. He was the Vice Principal of Darul Huda Islamic Academy from the beginning and when Darul Huda was upgraded into an Islamic University, he became the first Vice Chancellor of the first Islamic University in South India. It was his thought to integrate Islamic religious higher education by re-uniting both religious and secular education under a single umbrella and accordingly, he devised, designed and implemented a comprehensive curriculum in the University.
He has been an active member of different organizations and Islamic colleges and a pioneer of a number of academic initiatives and social movements across India. In 2011 he was elected as the member of International Union of Muslim Scholars based at Qatar. He is the current Secretary General of All Kerala Mu’allims' (Teachers) Federation and the Executive Member of National Monitoring Committee for Minorities Education, a constitutional board under the ministry of HRD, Govt. of India.
|Vice Chancellor of Darul Huda Islamic University, Kerala||2009 onwards|
|Member of International Union of Muslim Scholars based in Qatar||2010 onwards|
|General Secretary of Samastha Kerala Jam-iyyathul Muallimeen, Kerala, India||2003 onwards|
|Member of the Supreme Council, Samastha Kerala Jamiyyathul Ulama, Kerala, India||2016 onwards|
|Member of National Monitoring Committee for Minorities Education, Govt. of India||2010 onwards|
|Managing Editor of Suprabhaatham Daily, a Malayalam daily newspaper published by Iqra' Publications, Calicut, Kerala, India||2017 onwards|
|Editor in Chief of Thelitcham Monthly, a Malayalam Magazine from Darul Huda Islamic University ||1998 onwards|
|Member of Muslim Social Scientists Organization, New Delhi||2001 onwards|
|Executive Member of All Kerala Islamic Educational Board||1995 onwards|
|Head of Advisory Board, Quwwathul Islam Arabic College, Dongri, Mumbai||2005 onwards|
|Member of Educational Board, Al Bukariyya Arabic College under B.S.A.R University, Vendaloor, Chennai, Tamil Nadu||2008 onwards|
|Member of Executive Committee, Manhajul Huda Islamic College, Punkanoor, Andhra Pradesh, India||2007 onwards|
|Member of Academic Council for Islamic Studies, University of Calicut, Kerala, India||2012 onwards|
|Chief of Advisor, Annahda Arabic Bimonthly, published from Sabeelul Hıdaya Islamic College, Kottakkal, Kerala||2006 onwards|
|Editor in chief of Santhushta Kudumbam Monthly, published by SKJMCC, Chelari, Kerala||2002 onwards|
|Director, Council for Islamic Propagation- مجلس الدعوة الإسلامية & Sunni Publication Centre(SPC), Hidaya Nagar, Chemmad||1983 onwards|
Awards and achievements
Dr. Nadwi was honored with many national and international awards and felicitations. In 2003 he was selected as the Participant in the International Visitor Program organized by the US Department of State. In 2006 he was elected as Participant for the Dubai Holy Qura’n Award Speeches organized by Dubai Government. In 2009 he was invited to U.A.E as the Guest of HH The President of UAE for Da’wa in Holy Ramadan in August to September Months. He was the Participant in the 19th and 20th Conferences of The Supreme Council of Islamic Affairs in Cairo which were held in the Hijri Years of 1428 and 1429 respectively. He also participated in the fifth General Conference of The International Islamic Leadership, Tripoli, Libya.
He was honored with many national and international awards including:
- The 500 Most Influential Muslims: Elected as one of the world’s most influential 500 Muslims by the Royal Islamic Strategic Studies Centre, Amman, Jordan- 2012, 2013-2014 & 2014-2015.
- Muslim Star of the year 2012: www.onislam.net, Cairo, Egypt.
- Honor of the University of Science, Malaysia, 2012
- Allamah Shibli Nomani Award, 2015: Indo-Arab Confederation Council, Mumbai.
- Goodwill India Award, 2015: Goodwill Foundation, Calicut.
- Excellency Award, SYS Jeddah, Saudi Arabia- 2014
- Faizee Pratibha Award, Jamia Nooriyya Arabiyya, Kerala- 2013.
- Jaihoon TV Award, Sharjah, UAE- 2009
- Al Mahabba Excellency Award, Kerala Islamic Centre, Kuwait- 2008.
- Al Makhdum Award, Nurul Ulama Association, Kerala- 1983.
Prof. Nadwi has visited many countries of Asia, Europe, Africa and America including: Afghanistan, Algeria, Austria, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Belgium, Bhutan, Brunei, Cambodia, Egypt, Ethiopia, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Indonesia, Iran, Italy, Jordan, Kenya, Kuwait, Libya, Malaysia, Maldives, Mauritania, Morocco, Myanmar, Nepal, Netherlands, Oman, Palestine, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Senegal, Singapore, South Korea, Sri Lanka, Sudan, Switzerland, Syria, Thailand, Tunisia, Turkey, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom, United States of America, Uzbekistan and Vatican.
Nadwi has published more than 50 works including books, treatises, edited volumes and translations in Arabic, English and Malayalam languages. His works remark a vast and wide aspect of Qur'anic Sciences, Islamic Jurisprudence, Prophetic Hadith, Educational system, Sufism, Comparative Religions, Christianity, Arabic Language and Literature, Islamic History etc. He has translated many Arabic Classical texts into Malayalam.
|Names in English||Original Name||Meaning of Titles||Core Subject|
|Translation of the Holy Qur'an||വിശുദ്ധ ഖുര്ആന് വിവര്ത്തനം||Holy Qur'an Translation||Qur'anic Exegesis|
|Tasawwuf: A Comprehensive Study||തസ്വവ്വുഫ് ഒരു സമഗ്ര പഠനം||Brief History of Spirituality (Translation of ‘Haqa’iqu Ani Thasawuf’(Realiyies of Sufism) written by Abdul Qadir Easa Al Halabi (RAA)||Islamic Mysticism|
|Al Adabul Mufrad: Malayalam Translation||അല് അദബുല് മുഫ്റദ് മലയാള പരിഭാഷ||The Malayalam translation of Adabul Mufrad of Imam Bukhari||Behavior and Manners|
|Fiqh-ul- Athfal||فقه الأطفال||Islamic Jurisprudence for children||Islamic Jurisprudence|
|Mukhatarul Akhlaq wal Adab||مختار الأخلاق والآداب||The selected traditions on the manners and behaviors||Hadith|
|History of Arabic Literature||تاريخ الأدب العرب||History of Arabic literature||Literature|
|Inba’al Muarrifin bi Anba’ ul Musannifin||إنباء المعرفين بأنباء المصنفين||Biography of Islamic Scholars||Biography|
|Islam and Christianity||Islam and Christianity||Islam and Christianity||Comparative Religion|
|Sayyid Alawi Mouladdaweela: Life, Spirituality and Struggle (Edited Volume)||മമ്പുറം തങ്ങള് ജീവിതം ആത്മീയത പോരാട്ടം||History of Sayyid Alawi Mouladdaweela and the Hadhrami travels to Malabar|
|Nabidinagosham Lokarashtrangalil||നബിദിനാഘോഷം ലോകരാഷ്ട്രങ്ങളില്||Celebration of Prophetic birth in world countries||History ( Translation of kithab Thariq al- Ihtifal bi Maulid al- Nabawi wa Mazahiruhu fi- Alam )(He edited the book)|
|Kitaf Thimar al-Mulakhain fi Sharh Sihah al-Shaikain||قطاف ثمار الملخين في شرح صحاح الشيخين||Explanation of Sihah Sheikhain||Biography and Explanation for the book 'Kithabu Sihahussaikain' By Sheikh Abul Haq Muhammed abdul Bari Al Malaibari|
He has delivered a number of religious, academic and cultural lectures; initiated and participated in many academic, cultural and religious seminars and conferences around the globe. The important of them are:
- "Islamic Da'wah in the 21st Century: New Perspectives"; Special academic talk at the International Islamic University Malaysia, August, 2015.
- On the empowerment of Muslim Women through education in the International Conference on Women Rights at Kabul, Afghanistan, June, 2015.
- On the role of religions in preserving the humanity in the World Peace Conference, Seoul, South Korea, September, 2014
- On Reflection of Ghadeer incident (كيفية انعكاس حادثة الغدير) in Alghadir International Conference at Tehran, Iran, October,2013)
- Friday lecture on the importance of education in Islam at the International Islamic University Malaysia, November, 2013.
- On ‘Proving the Muhammadan Message, its Rational Clarification: A Comparison between the Methodologies of Nursi in the Risale-i Nur and of Shah Waliyyullah al Dahlawi in Hujjathullah al Baligha’ in International Bediuzzaman Symposium at Istanbul, Turkey ( September 2013)
- Speech done in the Conference of Islamic Scholars held by Organization of Islamic Conferences at Dakar, Senegal in June 2011.
- Speech done in the ninth International Conference of comparative Religions held in Doha, Qatar (October 2011).
- In 2009, he was invited to U.A.E as the Guest of Khalifa bin Zayed Al Nahyan and delivered Islamic lectures in several parts of the Emirates.
- He was the Participant in the 19th and 20th Conferences of The Supreme Council of Islamic Affairs in Cairo which were held in the Years of 2007 and 2008 respectively.
- On ‘Miraculous Holy Qur’an: A modern perspective’ at the Dubai International Holy Quran Award Speeches organized by Dubai Government in 2006.
- In 2003, he delivered his lectures as a Participant in the International Visitor Programme organized by the US Department of State and made talks in many American universities including the University of California, Los Angeles.
- "Official Website of the MUSLIM 500- 2014". Retrieved 2014-11-14.
- "Muslim Stars of the year 2013". Retrieved 2013-02-14.
- "Official website of International Union of Muslim Scholars".
- "General Secretary's Profile, SKJMCC Website". Archived from the original on 20 March 2012.
- "Official Website of the MUSLIM 500- 2012". Retrieved 2012-12-03.
- "Official Website of the Monitoring Committee". Archived from the original on 20 January 2012. Retrieved 2012-01-03.
- DHIU was the product of prolonged discourses among three visionary scholars and three supportive community leaders: M.M Basheer Musliyar, C.H Aidarus Musliyar and Dr Bahauddeen Muhammed Nadwi are the three religious scholars, whereas Dr. U Bapputty Haji, Chemmukkan Kunhappu Haji and K.M Zaid Alawi Haji are the community leaders
- "Thelitcham Monthly's Website".
- "Santhushta Kudumbam's Web Page". Archived from the original on 20 March 2012.
- "Shibli Nu'mani Award for Dr. Bahauddeen Nadwi". Retrieved 2015-06-22.
- "Dr. Bahauddeen Muhammed Nadwi wins Goodwill India Award". Archived from the original on 30 July 2015. Retrieved 2015-08-02.
- "Faizee Prathibha Award 2013". Retrieved 2013-01-04.
- "Al Mahabba Excellency Award News in The Hindu English Daily". Chennai, India. 2008-03-28. Retrieved 2013-01-04.
- "www.dhiu.in/ViceChancellor". Retrieved 2016-05-23.
- "Prof. Dr. Bahauddeen Muhammed Nadwi's talk in the official website of IIUM". Retrieved 2015-08-27.
- "Dr. Bahauddeen Nadwi's visit in the official website of University of California". Retrieved 2015-08-03.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Bahauddeen Muhammed Nadwi.|