Bahauddin Zakariya University
|Motto||Knowledge Is Power|
|Chancellor||Governor of Punjab|
|Location||Multan, Punjab, Pakistan|
|Campus||Sahiwal, Layyah, Lahore Campuses|
Bahauddin Zakariya University (Urdu: بہاؤ الدین زکریا یونیورسٹی ملتان) is in Multan, Punjab, Pakistan. It is the largest university of South Punjab. Bahauddin Zakariya University was formerly known as Multan University. It was renamed in honor of Hazrat Baha-ud-din Zakariya. It is a degree awarding institute in more than 60 subjects, including pharmacy, medical, engineering, humanities, business administration, law, art, music, IT, agriculture and languages. The university was ranked at No. 3 in General Category Ranking of 2012 by Higher Education Commission of Pakistan (HEC).
- 1 History
- 2 Location
- 3 Jurisdiction
- 4 Student admissions
- 5 Academic departments
- 6 Hostels
- 7 Staff hiring
- 8 References
- 9 External links
The university started functioning in 1975 in rented buildings with eight departments. Today it has grown and built many sub-campuses.One of them is Lahore Campus. The university now has 60 departments and many constituent colleges: University Gilani Law College, Multan College of Arts and faculties including Veterinary, Agricultural science and technology (FAST) (formerly UCA mean university college of Agriculture), Engineering and Technology. The university is providing the maximum possible residential facilities to the students and staff.
The Bahauddin Zakariya University is a general university, providing instruction in Arts and Science.
Since agriculture is the mainstay of this region (the place and its environs produce the country’s best silver crop (cotton) and fruit crops (mangoes, citrus, and dates)), it was considered expedient to train manpower for solving agriculture problems. Accordingly, a College of Agriculture was established in 1989. (The College of Agriculture and its complement, an Engineering College, form an integral part of the University Plan.) The College of Engineering & Technology was established in 1994. Department of Commerce was started from November 1996. BBA classes were started in the Department of Business Administration from October 1996. Bachelor of Computer Science was introduced in the Department of Computer Science from November 1996, though Masters in Computer Science (MCS) was already running since 1989. B.Sc. Electrical Engineering class was started in November 1997. Information Technology Centre was established in July 1999. BS and MSc. Telecommunication System was started in January 2004. B.Sc. Mechanical, Computer, Textile, Agricultural and Architectural Engineering classes were started in fall 2004.
All degrees awarded by the university are recognized by HEC, PEC and PMDC.
The university is at Bosan Road west to Mouza Basti Ratta Multan, 10 km from the city centre. The main campus is spread over 960 acres. This university has very large area its back gate is present which is 6 km from chowk kmharanwala.
The main objective of Bahauddin Zakariya University is to provide facilities of higher education and research to the population of the southern region of the Punjab, covering the Civil Administrative Divisions of Multan and Dera Ghazi Khan. The university fulfills the triple function of teaching, affiliation and an examining body, and has 79 affiliated colleges which include such old and prestigious institutions as the Government Emerson College Multan, Government College, BUREWALA, the Government College, Sahiwal and the Nishtar Medical College, Multan, and NFC Institute of Engineering and Technological Training.
Student admissions usually take place August and September for the fall semester. M.Phil and distance learning programs have admissions in January and February for the spring semester. Some of the departments require GAT and some have their own testing criteria. engineering admissions is on merits....
Faculty of Arts-Social Sciences
- Department of Economics
- Department of Education
- Department of History
- Department of Pakistan Studies
- Department of Political Science & International Relations
- Department of Mass Communication
- Multan College of Arts
- Department of Sociology
- Department of Applied Psychology
- Department of Philosophy
- Department of Gender Studies
- Undergraduate Studies in Social Sciences (now defunct)
- Institute of Social Sciences (ISS): Established in 2012 in the former "Centre for Undergraduate Studies" building, offers BS & MSc in Anthropology, Public Administration, Social Work, Library Science, MSc Criminology, M.Sc Public Policy and M.Phil Public Administration.
Faculty of Science
- Institute of Pure and Applied Biology
- Department of Chemistry
- Centre for Advanced Studies in Pure and Applied Mathematics (CASPAM)
- Institute of Computing
- Department Of Information Technology
- Department Of Computer Science
- Department Of Telecommunication Systems
- Department of Physics
- Institute of Biotechnology
- Department of Statistics
- Centre for Undergraduate Studies(now defunct)
Faculty of Islamic Studies and Languages
- Department of Arabic
- Department of Islamic Studies
- Department of English
- Department of Urdu
- Department of Saraiki
Faculty of Commerce, Law & Business Administration
- Alfalah Institute of Banking & Finance (Business Administration)
- Institute of Management Sciences (Business Administration)
- Department of Business Administration (Sub-Campus Sahiwal)
- Department of Applied Psychology (Sub-Campus Sahiwal)
- Department of English (Sub-Campus Sahiwal)
- Department of Economics (Sub-Campus Sahiwal)
- Department of Commerce
- Gillani Law College
Faculty of Pharmacy
- Department of Pharmacy
- Department of Pharmacology
- Department of Pharmaceutics
- Department of Pharmaceutical Chemistry
Faculty of Veterinary Sciences
- Clinical Sciences.
- Livestock and Poultry Production
Faculty of Engineering
- University College of Engineering & Technology
- University College of Textile Engineering
- Institute of Advance Materials
Faculty of Agricultural Sciences and Technology'
Formerly it was called UCA mean university college of Agriculture now it is called FAST (faculty of Agricultural Science and Technology . FAST provides 8 Major subjects for specialization after 2 year but for evening program only four.
- Department of Agronomy
- Department of Entomology
- Department of Soil Science
- Department of Plant Pathology
- Department of Plant Breeding & Genetics
- Department of Horticulture
- Forestry Department
- Agriculture Engineering
To improve the academic facilities of remote areas former governor of Punjab Lt General (Rtd) Khalid Maqbool opened sub-campuses of public sector universities with a vision to transform them into independent universities in future. Up till now following four sub-campuses of Bahauddin Zakariya University have been opened.
- BZU Sub-Campus, D.G Khan
- BZU Sub-Campus, Sahiwal
- BZU Bahadur Sub-Campus, Layyah
- BZU Sub-Campus, Lahore (under public-private partnership)
Following are the hostels accommodating thousands of students.
- Abu Bakar Hall
- Umer Hall
- Usman Hall
- Hamza Hall
- Ali Hall
- Qasim Hall
- Fatima Hall
- Marium Hall
- Ayesha Hall
- Aamina Hall
- Zainab Hall
- Khadija Hall
Advertisements are placed in the prominent newspapers. The shortlisted candidates are invited for interview by selection board.