The outdoor area of the Bahnwärter Thiel in May 2018
|Address||Tumblinger Straße 29|
|Type||Nightclub and cultural center|
The venue consists of repurposed intermodal containers, a temporary pavilion formerly used by the Lenbachhaus, as well as decommissioned subway cars. It hosts club nights and outdoor raves, lectures, exhibitions, improvisational theatre, concerts, and flea markets.
Daniel Hahn founded Bahnwärter-Kulturstätten in 2015, and Bahnwärter Thiel opened in the same year. The concept featured a withdrawn MAN Schienenbus railbus, repurposed as a culture venue on the grounds of the former "Viehhof" (Slaughterhouse) in Munich. The railbus was first used as part of the alternative christmas market "Märchenbazar" in November 2015.
In May 2016, the railbus was moved to the grounds of the University of Television and Film Munich for summer 2016. It was moved back to the Viehhof area in October, where a 40 m (130 ft) wide and 10 m (33 ft) high structure of 54 shipping containers was built for sound- and weatherproofing. In May 2017, the railbus once again was moved to the University of Television and Film, this time being rebranded as "Minna Thiel", named after the wife of the protagonist of the novel "Bahnwärter Thiel" by Gerhart Hauptmann.
After a five-year lease-agreement was reached, the Bahnwärter Thiel venue permanently moved to the Viehhof in late 2017. The new location is on the former freight station of the Viehhof, about 400 meters away from its previous location there. The concept for the new location includes ateliers, workspaces and workshops, as well as band practice rooms, part of which will be located in some of the repurposed containers. This location on the Viehhof area sparked a debate about gentrification and spaces for subculture in Munich, as parts of the local graffiti scene feared that they might lose the last space in Munich where spraying graffiti was allowed and legal. Hahn has stated that it was always intended to include graffiti on the project and also wants to integrate the scene in the decoration of the venue. A wooden wall with a length of 100 m (330 ft) was constructed as a designated space for graffiti. The construction was organized by Bahnwärter Thiel staff, parts of the graffiti scene, and the City of Munich. Artists feared that the wooden wall might be used to prevent sprayers from entering the premises. In May 2018, there was an arson attack on the venue, resulting in a wooden shed burning down.
A withdrawn Munich U-Bahn car was moved to the Bahnwärter Thiel in early 2018. Two more U-Bahn cars followed in October 2018. It is planned to use one of the cars as a cafeteria, and the other as a workspace.
The lease for the Viehhof area ends in 2022. The redevelopment of the Viehhof has already begun, with the construction of the new Münchner Volkstheater, which is scheduled to be completed in 2021. The city of Munich also plans to build apartments on parts of the area.
The New York Times citet Bahnwärter Thiel as an example of hip night life spots in Munich "that could give Berlin a run for its money". At the Munich Nightlife Awards, Bahnwärter Thiel was awarded the 3rd place in the category techno/house/electro in 2016, and the winner in the category ambience/scenery in 2017.
Since 2018, the Bahnwärter Thiel crew also operates the party ship Alte Utting, a former passenger ship from the Ammersee lake that is now crossing an inner-city arterial road on a railway bridge in Munich, and received a lot of media attention as well.
- Media related to Bahnwärter Thiel at Wikimedia Commons
- Zirnstein, Michael (February 16, 2016). "Bahnwärter Thiel: Feiern im Kuriositätenkabinett" [Bahnwärter Thiel: Partying in the cabinet of curiosities]. Süddeutsche Zeitung (in German). Retrieved October 19, 2018.
- "Bahnwärter Thiel in München: Ein neues Zuhause für das Kulturhaus" [Bahnwärter Thiel in Munich: A new home for the culture house]. focus.de (in German). Focus Online. May 12, 2016. Retrieved October 27, 2018.
- Zirnstein, Michael (August 11, 2017). "So soll der neue Bahnwärter Thiel werden" [This is how the new Bahnwärter Thiel should become]. Süddeutsche Zeitung (in German). Retrieved October 27, 2018.
- Schwan, Jens. "HOUSE & TECHNO Clubs Munich". The Clubmap (in German). Retrieved October 28, 2018.
- Wiemann, Rieke (December 14, 2016). "Wie der Bahnwärter Thiel die Münchner Subkultur am Leben hält" [How the Bahnwärter Thiel keeps Munich's subculture alive]. Süddeutsche Zeitung (in German). Retrieved October 19, 2018.
- Menrad, Jasmin (February 10, 2018). "Münchner Kulturverein: Das Zauberreich des Wannda Circus" [Münchner Kulturverein: The magic realm of the Wannda Circus]. abendzeitung-muenchen.de (in German). Abendzeitung Digital GmbH & Co KG. Retrieved October 27, 2018.
- Ruffet, Yves. "The best house and techno clubs in Munich". Devoted Electronic. Retrieved October 28, 2018.
- Kaufmann, Laura (May 12, 2016). "Wie es mit dem Bahnwärter Thiel weitergeht" [How to proceed with the Bahnwärter Thiel]. Süddeutsche Zeitung (in German). Retrieved October 22, 2018.
- Wermuth, Lilli. "Krims & Krams Flohmarkt – Bahnwärter Thiel". Mitvergnügen München (in German). Retrieved October 28, 2018.
- Lotze, Birgit (June 1, 2018). "Minna Thiel ist zurück" [Minna Thiel is back]. Süddeutsche Zeitung (in German). Retrieved October 27, 2018.
- Ulrichs, Bettina (November 6, 2017). "Kreatives Containerdorf am Viehhof" [Creative container village at the Viehhof]. ovb-online.de (in German). Oberbayerisches Volksblatt GmbH & Co. Medienhaus KG. Retrieved October 27, 2018.
- "Bahnwärter Thiel: Das Kulturprojekt kommt auf das Viehhof-Gelände zurück" [Bahnwärter Thiel: The culture project comes back to the Viehhof area]. tz.de (in German). Zeitungsverlag tz München GmbH & Co. KG. October 20, 2016. Retrieved October 27, 2018.
- ""Bahnwärter Thiel" kehrt vor die HFF zurück" ["Bahnwärter Thiel" returns to the HFF]. abendzeitung-muenchen.de (in German). Abendzeitung Digital GmbH & Co KG. May 11, 2017. Retrieved October 27, 2018.
- Bremmer, Michael (May 4, 2017). "Bahnwärter Thiel erhält einen festen Standort" [Bahnwärter Thiel gets a permanent location]. Süddeutsche Zeitung (in German). Retrieved October 27, 2018.
- "Fester Standort für den "Bahnwärter Thiel"" [Fixed location for the "Bahnwärter Thiel"]. abendzeitung-muenchen.de (in German). Abendzeitung Digital GmbH & Co KG. May 4, 2017. Retrieved October 27, 2018.
- Kaufmann, Laura (April 3, 2018). "Kampf der Kreativen am Viehhof" [Fight of the creatives at the Viehhof]. Süddeutsche Zeitung (in German). Retrieved October 19, 2018.
- Ebert, Kevin (July 21, 2017). "Warum sich die Sprayer-Szene gegen den Club "Bahnwärter Thiel" wehrt" [Why the sprayer scene resists against the "Bahnwärter Thiel" club]. PULS (in German). Bayerischer Rundfunk. Archived from the original on 2018-03-05. Retrieved October 27, 2018.
- Ebert, Kevin (October 30, 2017). "Das Münchner Viehhofgelände hat eine neue "Hall of Fame"" [The Munich Viehhof area has a new "Hall of Fame"]. PULS (in German). Bayerischer Rundfunk. Retrieved October 27, 2018.
- "Brandanschlag auf Bahnwärter Thiel: Staatsschutz ermittelt im Schlachthofviertel" [Arson attack at Bahnwärter Thiel: State security investigates in the slaughterhouse area]. tz.de (in German). Zeitungsverlag tz München GmbH & Co. KG. May 24, 2018. Retrieved October 27, 2018.
- Knerich, Anna-Elena (January 19, 2018). "Bahnwärter Thiel startet wieder: Ab sofort jedes Wochenende Clubbetrieb!" [Bahnwärter Thiel starts again: Club operation every weekend from now on!]. mucbook.de (in German). Medienhaus München Eisenack UG. Retrieved October 27, 2018.
- A. Ulbricht; A. Pazur (October 9, 2018). "Neue Waggons für den "Bahnwärter"" [New waggons for the "Bahnwärter"]. Münchner Merkur (in German) (232). Munich.
- "Zwei neue Waggons für Bahnwärter Thiel" [Two new waggons for Bahnwärter Thiel]. muenchen.tv (in German). München Live TV Fernsehen GmbH & Co.KG. October 11, 2018. Retrieved October 27, 2018.
- Hahn, Vanessa (October 5, 2018). "Alles neu auf dem alten Viehhof" [Everything new on the old Viehhof]. hallo-muenchen.de (in German). Breu & Schneider GmbH Verlag und Werbeagentur. Retrieved October 27, 2018.
- Hutter, Dominik (July 7, 2017). "Auf dem Viehhof sollen deutlich mehr Wohnungen entstehen" [Significantly more apartments are to be built on the Viehhof]. Süddeutsche Zeitung (in German). Retrieved October 27, 2018.
- Safronova, Valeriya (December 28, 2018). "Is Munich Getting Cool? Look for the Boat on the Bridge". The New York Times. Retrieved January 9, 2019.
- "Munich Nightlife Awards 2016: Das sind die Gewinner" [Munich Nightlife Awards 2016: These are the winners]. tz (in German). November 17, 2016.
- Oßwald, Thomas (November 11, 2017). "Munich Nightlife Awards 2017: Die Gewinner im Überblick - und im Video" [Munich Nightlife Awards 2017: Overview of the winners and video]. Münchner Merkur (in German).
- Zirnstein, Michael (October 26, 2018). "Subkultur: Wir arbeiten mit Sachen, die sonst keiner will" [Subculture: We work with things no one else wants]. Süddeutsche Zeitung (in German). Retrieved October 28, 2018.
- Dürr, Anke (July 25, 2018). "Spektakuläres Kulturprojekt in München: Wie das Schiff auf die Brücke kam" [Spectacular culture project in Munich: How the ship came onto the bridge]. Spiegel Online (in German). Retrieved October 28, 2018.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Bahnwärter Thiel.|
- Official website (in German)