Bahooka was a Tiki bar and restaurant in Rosemead, California. The Bahooka was well known for its many fish tanks, one of which held a famous and frequently photographed pacu fish named Rufus. The bar was also known for serving over 60 different kinds of Tiki drinks, including their Jolly Roger Bowl and flaming drinks such as the Flaming Honey Bowl and their eponymous Bahooka Bowl. The Bahooka served Polynesian fare such as teriyaki chicken breast and their signature "Exotic Ribs".
Bahooka was founded in 1967 in West Covina, California and moved to its ultimate location at 4501 Rosemead Boulevard  in 1976 after losing its lease. This allowed the Rosemead location to expand its dining area, adding a new room as well as more custom wooden/fiberglass aquariums, which then exceeded over 100 aquariums, many over 100 gallons in capacity. Tiki mug producers Tiki Farm created a 40th Anniversary mug for the bar. The Rosemead Bahooka closed in March 2013.
In popular culture
Rufus who was known for eating carrots and for having appeared with Johnny Depp in Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. Rufus, planned at one time to be transferred to another restaurant in Glendale, will remain at the current site in the new restaurant.
A very famous podcast, The After Disaster, recorded its 102nd Episode there in 2011.
- "Tiki Paradises". ocregister.com. Retrieved 13 February 2019.
- Nikki Batalis (June 25, 2008). "A little piece of tiki heaven". The Orange County Register.
- "Tiki Paradise Bahook To Be Reborn". lamag.com. Retrieved 12 February 2019.
- "Tiki Fish retires". latimes.com. Retrieved 12 February 2019.
- "Bahooka Is Bust". archpaper.com. Retrieved 13 February 2019.
- Peter Dills (June 10, 2010). "World Famous Flaming Bowls at Bahooka's". The Pasadena Independent. p. 9.
- Jonathan Gold (1 December 2000). Counter Intelligence: Where to Eat in the Real Los Angeles. St. Martin's Press. pp. 17–8. ISBN 978-0-312-27634-8.
- "Flaming Honey Bowl". pinterest.com. Retrieved 13 February 2019.
- "bahooka ribs and grog". critiki.com. Retrieved 12 February 2019.
- Frank C. Girardot (February 15, 2013). "Rosemead landmark Bahooka to close". Pasadena Star-News.
- Cindy Arora (April 5, 2003). "Bahooka bottles its popular dressing". San Gabriel Valley Tribune.
- "Carl Strohmeyer; Aquarium Biography".
- "Bahook 40th Anniversary Mug". ooga-mooga.com. Retrieved 13 February 2019.
- Frank Shyong (February 17, 2014). "Rufus' tale has a hook; A long-closed Rosemead restaurant must decide what to do with its iconic 37-year-old pacu fish" (Home ed.). Los Angeles Times. p. A1.
- "Rufus eating carrots at The Bahooka". youtube.com. Retrieved 13 February 2019.
- Rabe, John. "New owners see light; Rufus the carrot-eating pacu to stay at former Bahooka". February 18, 2014. KPCC. Retrieved February 24, 2014.