Menu and decor
Bahooka was known for its many fish tanks. One of these held the famous pacu fish, Rufus, who was known for eating carrots and for having appeared with Johnny Depp in Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. Rufus, planned at one time to be transferred to another restaurant in Glendale, will remain at the current site in the new restaurant.
Bahooka served "standard Polynesian fare," including sticky "Exotic Ribs," teriyaki chicken breast, and so on. The bar also served over 60 different tiki drinks, including the "Jolly Roger Bowl" and flaming drinks such as the "Bahooka Bowl."
- Frank C. Girardot (February 15, 2013). "Rosemead landmark Bahooka to close". Pasadena Star-News.
- Jonathan Gold (1 December 2000). Counter Intelligence: Where to Eat in the Real Los Angeles. St. Martin's Press. pp. 17–8. ISBN 978-0-312-27634-8.
- Cindy Arora (April 5, 2003). "Bahooka bottles its popular dressing". San Gabriel Valley Tribune.
- Frank Shyong (February 17, 2014). "Rufus' tale has a hook; A long-closed Rosemead restaurant must decide what to do with its iconic 37-year-old pacu fish" (Home ed.). Los Angeles Times. p. A1.
- Nikki Batalis (June 25, 2008). "A little piece of tiki heaven". The Orange County Register.
- Rabe, John. "New owners see light; Rufus the carrot-eating pacu to stay at former Bahooka". February 18, 2014. KPCC. Retrieved February 24, 2014.
- Peter Dills (June 10, 2010). "World Famous Flaming Bowls at Bahooka's". The Pasadena Independent. p. 9.