|Died||25 February 1984|
|Allegiance||Imperial State of Iran|
Islamic Republic of Iran
|Service/||Imperial Iranian Navy |
Islamic Republic of Iran Navy
|Years of service||unknown–1984|
|Rank||Rear Admiral Lower Half|
|Commands held||Islamic Republic of Iran Navy|
Bahram Afzali (Persian: بهرام افضلی; 1938-25 February 1984) was the Commander of Iranian Navy from 1980 to 1983. He was executed in Iran in 1984 due to his alleged involvement in espionage for the Soviet Union.
Afzali was an engineer and a captain in the Imperial Iranian Navy. After the 1979 revolution, he continued to serve in the Navy and took part in the Iran-Iraq war. Then Iranian president Abolhassan Bani Sadr appointed him as the commander of the Navy in June 1980. He was also special adviser of then speaker of the Iranian parliament, Ali Akbar Hashemi Rafsanjani.
Arrest, trial and death
At the beginning of 1983, Afzali, along with more than a thousand members of the Tudeh Party was arrested by the IRP. They began to be tried at the military tribunal in December 1983, and 32 of them were sentenced to death. Their judge was Hojjat Al Islam Mohammad Reyshahri, who also interrogated Mahdi Hashemi in 1986. The location of the tribunal has been never revealed.
- "Mr. Bahram Afzali". OMID. Retrieved 13 February 2013.
- "30 persons dead, 80 injured in Iranian-Iraqi frontier clash". The Calgary Herald. 2 June 1980. Retrieved 13 February 2013.
- Shireen T. Hunter; Jeffrey L. Thomas; Alexander Melikishvili (2004). Islam in Russia: The Politics of Identity and Security. M.E. Sharpe. p. 506. ISBN 978-0-7656-1282-3. Retrieved 13 February 2013.
- George W. Breslauer (1990). Soviet Strategy in the Middle East. Unwin Hyman. p. 131. ISBN 978-0-04-445232-4. Retrieved 13 February 2013.
- Sepehr Zabir (23 April 2012). The Iranian Military in Revolution and War (RLE Iran D). CRC Press. p. 115. ISBN 978-1-136-81270-5. Retrieved 13 February 2013.
- Ervand Abrahamian (1999). Tortured Confessions: Prisons and Public Recantations in Modern Iran. University of California Press. p. 199. ISBN 978-0-520-21623-5. Retrieved 13 February 2013.
- Hunter, Shireen T. (Spring 1987). "After the Ayatollah". Foreign Policy. 66: 77–97. JSTOR 1148665.
- "Full Biography in Farsi and English". Admiral Doctor Bahram Afzali.
| Commander of the Islamic Republic of Iran Navy
|This biographical article related to the military of Iran is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|