|• Official||Bengali, English|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
|Telephone code||91 341 2666|
|Lok Sabha constituency||Asansol|
|Vidhan Sabha constituency||Pandaveswar|
Bahula is located at.
The Asansol-Durgapur region is composed of undulating latterite soil. This area lies between two mighty rivers – the Damodar and the Ajay. They flow almost parallel to each other in the region – the average distance between the two rivers is around 30 km. For ages the area was heavily forested and infested with plunderers and marauders. The discovery of coal led to industrialisation of the area and most of the forests have been cleared.
As per the 2011 Census of India Bahula had a total population of 17,510, of which 9,095 (52%) were males and 8,415 (48%) were females. Population below 6 years was 2,202. The total number of literates in Bahula was 11,445 (74.76% of the population over 6 years).
As of 2001[update] India census, Bahula had a population of 16,264. Males constitute 55% of the population and females 45%. Bahula has an average literacy rate of 58%, lower than the national average of 59.5%; with 64% of the males and 36% of females literate. 13% of the population is under 6 years of age.
This is a coal mining area. Bahula is part of Kenda area of Eastern Coalfields Limited, a subsidiary of Coal India Limited. The area has been facing the problem of land subsidence. There are some engineering workshops at Bahula.
Bahula has three primary and one higher secondary schools.
- Chattopadhyay, Akkori, Bardhaman Jelar Itihas O Lok Sanskriti (History and Folk lore of Bardhaman District.), (in Bengali), Vol I, pp 14-15, Radical Impression. ISBN 81-85459-36-3
- "2011 Census – Primary Census Abstract Data Tables". West Bengal – District-wise. Registrar General and Census Commissioner, India. Retrieved 20 February 2017.
- "Census of India 2001: Data from the 2001 Census, including cities, villages and towns (Provisional)". Census Commission of India. Archived from the original on 2004-06-16. Retrieved 2008-11-01.
- Parliament Questions
- Chattopadhyay, Akkori, p 364
- "Coalmining impact on the Environment" (PDF). Chapter V: Table 5.2. shodganga.infibnet. Retrieved 21 February 2017.
- 7th All-India School Education Survey 2003 Archived 2007-09-27 at the Wayback Machine.
- "Eastern Coalfields Limited’s Hospitals" (PDF). ECL. Retrieved 23 April 2017.