This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The main page, on 1 February 2016
Type of site
|Internet encyclopedia project|
|Created by||Robin Li|
|Alexa rank||4 (along with all other baidu.com sites) (July 2016[update])|
|Registration||Optional (required to edit pages)|
Baidu Baike (Chinese: 百度百科; pinyin: Bǎidù Bǎikē; literally: "Baidu Encyclopedia") is a Chinese-language collaborative web-based encyclopedia owned and produced by the Chinese search engine Baidu. Its test version was released on 20 April 2006, and within three weeks, the encyclopedia had grown to more than 90,000 articles surpassing that of the Chinese Wikipedia. By 2008, Hudong.com had surpassed both in article count, but Baidu Baike then became number one again.[when?] The encyclopedia censors its content in accordance with the requirements of the Chinese government.
Baidu's William Chang said at WWW2008, the conference of the World Wide Web Consortium, "There is, in fact, no reason for China to use Wikipedia ... It's very natural for China to make its own products."
- Pornographic, violent, horrible and uncivilized content
- Reactionary content
- Personal attacks
- Content against morality and ethics
- Malicious, trivial or spam-like content
Being in the jurisdiction of the Chinese government, Baidu is required to censor content on their encyclopedia in accordance to relevant governmental regulations. All editors need to register accounts using real names before editing, and administrators filter edits before they go public. Users on microblogging platforms generally perceive Baidu Baike as similar to a governmentally sanctioned information source due to the censorship of its content. As of August 2013, there exist no articles for the 1989 Tiananmen Square Protests, the Xinjiang independence movement or the Falun Gong on the encyclopedia.
PCWorld states that complying with Chinese censorship laws gives Baidu Baike an advantage over its competitors. Since the Chinese version of Wikipedia does not censor its own content, the government may block it while keeping Baidu Baike accessible.
The present front page of Baidu Baike was put in use in September 6, 2012, and on the top of the page marked the slogan "Let all humanity learn the world equally," the present volume of users, net volume of entries; on the bottom-left of the front page presented selected knowledge contents, and the bottom right relative announcement, plannings and projects, etc. the front page information are usually of current hot topics, often related to featured news and other appendix. Beside those hot topics, there are also one-sentence summaries to the news. Other than the front page, Baidu Baike also adds channels such as nature, culture, geography, and special topics such as core-users, digital museums, etc.
The entry pages of Baidu Baike include calling cards, texts, and other supporting information. An earlier version allowed users to comment on pages, but the feature was removed after September, 2008. The main language used is Simplified Chinese; posts written in Traditional Chinese, Korean, Vietnamese, or Japanese are automatically translated into Simplified Chinese.
Calling Cards and Texts
|This section does not cite any sources. (February 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Baike calling cards contain two parts: the description of an entry and the basic information. The former is similar to the preface of an article, which gives general introduction to the whole texts; the latter uses table to summarize basic information and statistics. Both are edited separately from the main body. The main texts are limited to 40 thousand bits, which is equivalent to 20 thousand Chinese characters. clarify] At the end of the article is the declaration of exemption. The earlier version of the entry can only contain one image, but now 20 images and 20 albums. The entry can also link to Baidu map, dynamic screenshots, and videos. Information cited are listed beneath the main text, which does not distinguish footnote from others. However, the image cited are not specified the source, but contains image directories.[
Most pieces of supporting information are located at the bottom or the right of the page, except scientific terms, which are pushed to the top. Usually, supporting information is automatically generated by the system, with some edited by hand. clarify] Supporting information on the right of the page contains personal information, statistics, today in history, contribution of honor, current trends, and pop-links. Statistics are of page viewed, numbers of editing, latest update, creators information, etc. Contribution of honor features complex editing,[need quotation to verify] [clarify][
A user can see at the bottom of each article a database, the Baidu Dictionary, related entries, clarify]. Celebrities' articles have appended databases that list their single songs, albums, and videos of them. [clarify] The user recommendations section is used to collect feedback about the article, [clarify][
Contents and categories
Unlike a traditional encyclopedia, the information on Baidu Baike is broader, similar to Chinese Wikipedia and Hudong Baike. Baidu Baike also includes food recipes, film products, internet programs, and video games as its contents. However, unlike Chinese Wikipedia, Baidu Baike never gives strict definition on the difference between an encyclopedia and a dictionary. There are also many explanations on dictions and common phrases.
In addition to articles, Baidu Baike includes several special pages:
- A Sandbox, or “编辑实验” entry, which gives users a chance to practice editing.
- Help, which gives terminologies, basic settings, regulations, user titles, etc.
- User page, which is called "Baidu Authorized ID", similar to the one in Wikipedia. However, it is viewed as an encouragement of advanced users, and rarely does anyone have the privilege to form one's own.
Baidu Baike holds open policies on the edition of entries, and support categorized search functions. The categorization is based on the characteristics of an entry but not the quality, and there is no limit in categorization. Baidu Baike has now an elementary categorized page and tree, part of the open categorization can be set according to levels, but catalogs having similar meaning could not be merged or redirected.
Numbers of entries
According to the latest list of entries, Baidu Baike has an increase of about 3,800 entries per day. Here are some milestones:
|16 Jan 2008||1M||故事海 (Kathasaritsagara)|||
|8 Feb 2010||2M||章启群 (A professor in Peking University)|||
|12 Jan 2011||3M||222年 (The year 222)|||
|22 Nov 2011||4M||乌天麻 (Gastrodia elata f. glauca)|||
|13 Jun 2012||5M||桦南白瓜 (a cultivar of pumpkin planted in Huanan County)|||
|15 Mar 2013||6M||Not announced|||
- "Baidu.com Site Info". Alexa Internet. Retrieved 2016-07-03.
- "The Baidu Story." Baidu. Retrieved on June 3, 2011.
- Eva Woo (2007-11-13). "Baidu's Censored Answer to Wikipedia". Business Week. Archived from the original on 18 March 2008. Retrieved 2008-03-29.
- Jason Q. Ng, August 28, 2013, Who’s the Boss? The difficulties of identifying censorship in an environment with distributed oversight: a large-scale comparison of Wikipedia China with Hudong and Baidu Baike, Munk School of Global Affairs, University of Toronto
- Han-Teng Liao, (2013). How do Baidu Baike and Chinese Wikipedia filter contribution?: a case study of network gatekeeping. Proceedings of the 9th International Symposium on Open Collaboration. doi:10.1145/2491055.2491082
- Zhang Xiaoquan, Zhu Feng, (2011). Group Size and Incentives to Contribute: A Natural Experiment at Chinese Wikipedia. The American Economic Review, 101(4), pp.1601-1615. doi:10.1257/aer.101.4.1601
- Graham Webster (2008-04-22). "Baidu's William Chang: 'No reason for China to use Wikipedia'". CNET News. Retrieved 2008-06-22.
- "百科协议". Baike Baidu. Retrieved 2006-12-24.
- Dan Nystedt (2008-08-26). "Baidu May Be Worst Wikipedia Copyright Violator". PC World. Archived from the original on September 30, 2007. Retrieved 2008-03-29. " Anyone wishing to publish entries on Baidu Baike must register first, giving the site people's real names, and site administrators review all entries before posting, a way to ensure compliance with Chinese censorship laws."
- Liao, Han-Teng. "What do Chinese-language microblog users do with Baidu Baike and Chinese Wikipedia? A case study of information engagement" (PDF): 9.
- "《词条浏览页升级啦》". 百度百科公告. Retrieved 2009-09-14.在这次升级中评论被读者推荐代替，这篇文章后的评论中即有用户询问评论区为何取消，例如31楼、37楼和39楼
- 参见 复杂编辑的定义。
- 百科领航员 (2011-01-20). "2011年百科权威认证ID名单公示" (in Chinese). 百度贴吧. Retrieved 2011-02-20.
- "百科词条结构". 百度百科帮助. Retrieved 2010-08-15.
- "《第1000000个词条诞生了》". 百度百科公告. Retrieved 2010-02-08.
- "《百度百科词条数量突破200万》". 百科船长. Retrieved 2010-02-08.
- "《【公告】百度百科词条突破300万啦！》". 百度百科公告. Retrieved 2011-11-28.
- "《【公告】百度百科词条总数突破400万大关，感恩有你！》". 百度百科公告. Retrieved 2011-11-28.
- "《百度百科词条突破五百万！》". 百度百科公告. Retrieved 2012-06-14.
- "<祝贺> 百度百科词条超过600万". cjycp32. Retrieved 2013-03-28.
- "百度搜索帮助中心-百度百科帮助". Baike Baidu. Retrieved 2006-05-11.
- Baidu Baike (Chinese)