|This article is outdated. (November 2013)|
The main page, on 29 July 2008
Type of site
|Internet encyclopedia project|
|Registration||Optional (required to edit pages)|
|Created by||Robin Li|
|5 (along with all other baidu.com sites) (February 2013[update])|
Baidu Baike  (Chinese: 百度百科; pinyin: Bǎidù Bǎikē; "Baidu Encyclopedia") is a Chinese language collaborative Web-based encyclopedia provided by the Chinese search engine Baidu. The test version was released on April 20, 2006, and within three weeks, the encyclopedia had grown to more than 90,000 articles, surpassing that of Chinese Wikipedia. By 2008, Hudong.com had surpassed both in article count but Baidu Baike is number one again. The encyclopedia censors in accordance with the requirements of the Chinese government.
Baidu's William Chang said at WWW2008, the conference of the World Wide Web Consortium, "There is, in fact, no reason for China to use Wikipedia ... It's very natural for China to make its own products."
The site is an open Internet encyclopedia espousing equality, collaboration, and sharing. The encyclopedia, with two other services provided by Baidu ("zhidao" and "post") would form a trinity to complement the search engine.[clarification needed]
The articles are written and edited by registered users and reviewed by behind-the-scenes administrators before release. There is no formal way to contact the administrators. Registered users' contributions are rewarded in a credit point system. Although the earlier test version was named "Baidu WIKI", official media releases and pages on the encyclopedia itself state that the system is not a wiki. However, its operation is akin to a wiki and they occasionally use the word "wiki" internally.[not in citation given]
Users can access multiple extended editing functions, including:
- An image uploading system where files less than 2 MB can be added to articles in the Encyclopedia.
- A keyword tagging system called "open category" (similar to folksonomy). One article can be tagged with at most 5 categories.
- A separate edit box for references and external links.
Articles or comments containing the following types of content are removed:
- Pornographic, violent, horrible and uncivilized content
- Reactionary content
- Personal attacks
- Content against morality and ethics
- Malicious, trivial or spam-like content
The present front page of Baidu Baike was put in use in September 6, 2012, and on the top of the page marked the slogan "Let all humanity learn the world equally," the present volume of users, net volume of entries; on the bottom-left of the front page presented selected knowledge contents, and the bottom right relative announcement, plannings and projects, etc. the front page information are usually of current hot topics, often related to featured news and other appendix. Beside those hot topics, there are also one-sentence summaries to the news. Other than the front page, Baidu Baike also adds channels such as nature, culture, geography, and special topics such as core-users, digital museums, etc.
The entry pages of Baidu Baike includes calling cards, texts, and other supporting information. The earlier version allows users to comment on the page, but was nullified after September, 2008. The language used are mainly simplified Chinese; traditional Chinese, Korean, Vietnamese, Japanese will be automatically translated into simplified Chinese.
Calling Cards and Texts
Baike calling cards contain two parts: the description of an entry and the basic information. The former is similar to the preface of an article, which gives general introduction to the whole texts; the latter uses table to summarize basic information and statistics. Both are edited separately from the main body. The main texts are limited to 40 thousand bits, which is equivalent to 20 thousand Chinese characters. There are two possible levels of title, and the system will give a content accordingly. At the end of the article is the deceleration of exemption. The earlier version of the entry can only contains one image, but now 20 images and 20 albums. The entry can also link to Baidu map, dynamic screenshots, and videos. Information cited are listed beneath the main text, which does not distinguish footnote from others. However, the image cited are not specified the source, but contains image directories.
Most supporting information are located at the bottom or the right of the page, except scientific terms, which are pushed to the top. Supporting information are usually generated by the system automatically, with some edited by hand. Supporting information are presented as modules, such as scientific terms, Douban film commentaries, etc.
Supporting information on the right of the page contains personal information, statistics, today in history, contribution of honor, current trends, and pop-links. Statistics are of page viewed, numbers of editing, latest update, creators information, etc. Contribution of honor features complex editing, user ID who has made excellent editing, and its links. The honor gives different kinds of medals. Current trends are used to present some current activities, and the pop-links are of advertisement, which generate some profits form Baidu company.
The supporting information on the bottom contain database, Baidu Dictionary, related entries, users recommendation, collaborated editors. Database are usually present at the film star's, which lists the single songs, albums, and related videos of them. When terms or phrases are listed in one product of Baidu, Baike will also give links to the explanation. Users recommendation are used to collect and count the positive response of the entry, or the number of vote to "this enty is helpful to me".
Contents and categories
Unlike a traditional encyclopedia, the information on Baidu Baike is broader, similar to Chinese Wikipedia and Hudong Baike. Baidu Baike also includes food recipes, film products, internet programs, and video games as its contents. However, unlike Chinese Wikipedia, Baidu Baike never gives strict definition on the difference between an encyclopedia and a dictionary. There are also many explanations on dictions and common phrases.
Beside formal contents, Baidu Baike also includes special entries:
- A Sandbox, or “编辑实验” entry, which gives user chance to practice editing.
- Help, which gives terminologies, basic settings, regulations, user titles, etc.
- User page, which is called "Baidu Authorized ID", similar to the one in Wikipedia. However, it is viewed as an encouragement of advanced users, and rarely does anyone have the privilege to form ones own.
Baidu Baike holds open policies on the edition of entries, an support categorized search functions. The categorization is based on the characteristics of an entry but not the quality, and there is no limit in categorization. Baidu Baike has now an elementary categorized page and tree, part of the open categorization can be set according to levels, but catalogs having similar meaning could not be merged or redirected.
Numbers of entries
According to the latest list of entries, Baidu Baike has an increase of about 3,800 entries per day. Here are some milestones:
|Jan 16, 2008||1M||故事海 (Kathasaritsagara)|||
|Feb 8, 2010||2M||章启群 (A professor in Peking University)|||
|Jan 12, 2011||3M||222年 (222)|||
|Nov 22, 2011||4M||乌天麻 (Gastrodia elata f. glauca)|||
|Jun 13, 2012||5M||桦南白瓜 (a cultivar of pumpkin planted in Huanan County)|||
|Mar 15, 2013||6M||Not announced|||
- "Baidu.com Site Info". Alexa Internet. Retrieved 2013-11-19.
- "The Baidu Story." Baidu. Retrieved on June 3, 2011.
- Eva Woo (2007-11-13). "Baidu's Censored Answer to Wikipedia". Business Week. Archived from the original on 18 March 2008. Retrieved 2008-03-29.
- Jason Q. Ng, August 28, 2013, Who’s the Boss? The difficulties of identifying censorship in an environment with distributed oversight: a large-scale comparison of Wikipedia China with Hudong and Baidu Baike, Munk School of Global Affairs, University of Toronto
- Han-Teng Liao, (2013). How do Baidu Baike and Chinese Wikipedia filter contribution?: a case study of network gatekeeping. Proceedings of the 9th International Symposium on Open Collaboration. doi:10.1145/2491055.2491082
- Zhang Xiaoquan, Zhu Feng, (2011). Group Size and Incentives to Contribute: A Natural Experiment at Chinese Wikipedia. The American Economic Review, 101(4), pp.1601-1615. doi:10.1257/aer.101.4.1601
- Graham Webster (2008-04-22). "Baidu's William Chang: 'No reason for China to use Wikipedia'". CNET News. Retrieved 2008-06-22.
- "百度百科". Baidu Baike. Retrieved 2006-05-11.
- Entering a keyword as of 2009-07-18, such as 猫 (cat), and clicking the button "search" will gave a page with a URL like http://baike.baidu.com/w?ct=17&lm=0&tn=baiduWikiSearch&pn=0&rn=10&word=%C3%A8&submit=search, which has the word "baiduWikiSearch" in it.
- "百科协议". Baike Baidu. Retrieved 2006-12-24.
- "《词条浏览页升级啦》". 百度百科公告. Retrieved 2009-09-14.在这次升级中评论被读者推荐代替，这篇文章后的评论中即有用户询问评论区为何取消，例如31楼、37楼和39楼
- "《用词条图片记录历史——图片上传功能升级》". 百度百科公告. Retrieved 2009-09-14.
- 参见 复杂编辑的定义。
- 百科领航员 (2011-01-20). "2011年百科权威认证ID名单公示" (in Chinese). 百度贴吧. Retrieved 2011-02-20.
- "百科词条结构". 百度百科帮助. Retrieved 2010-08-15.
- "《第1000000个词条诞生了》". 百度百科公告. Retrieved 2010-02-08.
- "《百度百科词条数量突破200万》". 百科船长. Retrieved 2010-02-08.
- "《【公告】百度百科词条突破300万啦！》". 百度百科公告. Retrieved 2011-11-28.
- "《【公告】百度百科词条总数突破400万大关，感恩有你！》". 百度百科公告. Retrieved 2011-11-28.
- "《百度百科词条突破五百万！》". 百度百科公告. Retrieved 2012-06-14.
- "<祝贺> 百度百科词条超过600万". cjycp32. Retrieved 2013-03-28.
- "百度搜索帮助中心-百度百科帮助". Baike Baidu. Retrieved 2006-05-11.
- Dan Nystedt (2008-08-26). "Baidu May Be Worst Wikipedia Copyright Violator". PC World. Archived from the original on September 30, 2007. Retrieved 2008-03-29.
- Baidu Baike (Chinese)