Bailey School Kids
|Author||Marcia T. Jones and Debbie Dadey|
|Illustrator||John Steven Gurney|
|Cover artist||John Steven Gurney|
|No. of books||more than 80 books|
The Adventures of the Bailey School Kids (or, simply, The Bailey School Kids) is a best-selling children's book chapter book series. The books in the series are co-authored by Marcia T. Jones and Debbie Dadey. John Steven Gurney is the original illustrator of the series (covers and interior illustrations) and he originated the appearance of the characters. During the early 2000s some of the books were reissued with cover illustrations by Nathan Hale.
In each story, the Bailey School kids encounter a relatively innocuous character (such as a school teacher, custodian, etc.) who may or may not be a mythical being (e.g. a vampire, ghost, dragon, etc.). The reader is left guessing whether the innocuous character is the said mythical being or not.
There are more than 80 books in the series, including Super Specials, Holiday Special Editions, the new BSK "Jr" chapter books series, and the spin-off Bailey City Monsters series for grades 2-4. The first novel, Vampires Don't Wear Polka Dots, was published in 1991.
Liza is the most scared and sensitive of the group, usually not wanting to resort to methods that will result in others being hurt, even if they are a monster. She always believes in fairy tales and she can't swim.
A close friend of Liza, and in most situations, is the bravest of the group. She is also very competitive with Eddie.
A friend to Liza, Melody, and Eddie, he is the most logical & intelligent of the group. His dad works for FATS (Federal Aeronautics Technology Station).
Eddie is the tough guy of the group. He is always making fun of his friends when they believe they see monsters and tries to prove them wrong.
Mrs. Jeepers is the group's teacher, and some of them think she is a vampire. Other teachers before her quit because of their class, but Mrs. Jeepers is the only one who can keep them under control, due to their fear of her. Her family is from Transylvania, and includes an identical cousin, a brother, a nephew, and her mother. Despite her bizarre family and unusual behavior, it is never known if she really is a vampire.
Mr. Jenkins is the camp counselor of Camp Lone Wolf, and some think he is a werewolf. He comes off as a mean, tough man, but is sometimes shown to have a soft side, especially towards nature. He has two known cousins, one that dances hula, and one who ran for president. Like Mrs. Jeepers, it is never known if he really is a werewolf. He is a tall and hairy man who wears torn clothes and a dog collar, and often demonstrates his characteristic howl.
A brilliant scientist residing in Bailey City. Some people think he is, or may be related to, the original Dr. Victor Frankenstein, leading them to believe his companion, Frank, is really Frankenstein's monster. After his first appearance, he argues with Frank, prompting the two of them to separate, but they make up later on. It is believed that he was directly responsible for the creation of "Frankenstein's Bride".
Carey is the popular, rich girl at Bailey Elementary. Although she comes off as a spoiled brat, she does tend to care about what is going on around her, especially when it comes to Mrs. Jeepers being a "vampire". She also has a crush on Eddie.
The Adventures of the Bailey School Kids
- Vampires Don't Wear Polka Dots
- Werewolves Don't Go to Summer Camp
- Santa Claus Doesn't Mop Floors
- Leprechauns Don't Play Basketball
- Ghosts Don't Eat Potato Chips
- Frankenstein Doesn't Plant Petunias
- Aliens Don't Wear Braces
- Genies Don't Ride Bicycles
- Pirates Don't Wear Pink Sunglasses
- Witches Don't Do Back Flips
- Skeletons Don't Play Tubas
- Cupid Doesn't Flip Hamburgers
- Gremlins Don't Chew Bubble Gum
- Monsters Don't Scuba Dive
- Zombies Don't Play Soccer
- Dracula Doesn't Drink Lemonade
- Elves Don't Wear Hard Hats
- Martians Don't Take Temperatures
- Gargoyles Don't Drive School Buses
- Wizards Don't Need Computers
- Mummies Don't Coach Softball
- Cyclops Doesn't Roller-Skate
- Angels Don't Know Karate
- Dragons Don't Cook Pizza
- Bigfoot Doesn't Square Dance
- Mermaids Don't Run Track
- Bogeymen Don't Play Football
- Unicorns Don't Give Sleigh Rides
- Knights Don't Teach Piano
- Hercules Doesn't Pull Teeth
- Ghouls Don't Scoop Ice Cream
- Phantoms Don't Drive Sports Cars
- Giants Don't Go Snowboarding
- Frankenstein Doesn't Slam Hockey Pucks
- Trolls Don't Ride Roller Coasters
- Wolfmen Don't Hula Dance
- Goblins Don't Play Video Games
- Ninjas Don't Bake Pumpkin Pie
- Dracula Doesn't Rock and Roll
- Sea Monsters Don't Ride Motorcycles
- Bride of Frankenstein Doesn't Bake Cookies
- Robots Don't Catch Chicken Pox
- Vikings Don't Wear Wrestling Belts
- Ghosts Don't Ride Wild Horses
- Wizards Don't Wear Graduation Gowns
- Sea Serpents Don't Juggle Water Balloons
- Frankenstein Doesn't Start Food Fights
- Dracula Doesn't Play Kickball
- Werewolves Don't Run For President
- The Abominable Snowman Doesn't Roast Marshmallows
- Dragons Don't Throw Snowballs
Bailey School Kids 'Jr' Chapter Books
- Ghosts DO Splash In Puddles
- Reindeer DO Wear Striped Underwear
- Cupid DOES Eat Chocolate-Covered Snails
- Pirates DO Ride Scooters
- Dragons DO Eat Homework
- Wizards DO Roast Turkeys
- Vampires DO Hunt Marshmallows
- Cavemen DO Drive School Buses
- Snow Monsters DO Drink Hot Chocolate
Specials and Super-Specials
- The Bailey School Kids - Joke Book
- SS Mrs. Jeepers Is Missing
- SS Mrs. Jeepers' Batty Vacation
- SS Mrs. Jeepers' Secret Cave
- SS Mrs. Jeepers In Outer Space
- SS Mrs. Jeepers' Monster Class Trip
- SS Mrs. Jeepers On Vampire Island
- SS Mrs. Jeepers' Scariest Halloween... EVER!!!!
- SS Mrs. Jeepers' Creepy Christmas