Bainbridge Township, Geauga County, Ohio
|Bainbridge Township, Geauga County, Ohio|
Scene along Geauga Lake Road
Location of Bainbridge Township in Geauga County
|• Total||25.9 sq mi (67.0 km2)|
|• Land||25.6 sq mi (66.3 km2)|
|• Water||0.3 sq mi (0.8 km2)|
|Elevation||1,125 ft (343 m)|
|• Density||445/sq mi (172.0/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1086148|
Located in the southwestern corner of the county, it borders the following townships and cities:
- Russell Township - north
- South Russell - northwest
- Newbury Township - northeast corner
- Auburn Township - east
- Mantua Township, Portage County - southeast corner
- Aurora - south
- Reminderville - southwest corner
- Solon - west
- Chagrin Falls - northwest, south of Bentleyville
- Bentleyville - northwest, north of Chagrin Falls
The township covers a total area of 25 sq mi (65 km2).
Name and history
Named for Commodore William Bainbridge, it is the only Bainbridge Township statewide.
The first residents of Bainbridge were the McConougheys, who came from Blandford, Massachusetts. Many other settlers followed. In 1817, Bainbridge Township was established. The first housing subdivision, Lake Lucerne, opened in 1922. It is still one of the largest in Bainbridge.
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on 2013-09-11. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Bainbridge township, Geauga County, Ohio". American Factfinder. U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved January 12, 2017.
- "Bainbridge Township - History". Retrieved 2012-01-15.
- "Geauga County Public Library - Chardon Ohio OH - AmericanTowns.com". Retrieved 2012-01-15.
- "Bainbridge Library - Chagrin Falls, Ohio". Retrieved 2012-01-15.
- "Bainbridge Memory: About this site". Archived from the original on 2013-07-26. Retrieved 2012-01-15.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.