Bainbridge Township, Michigan
|Bainbridge Township, Michigan|
|• Total||35.4 sq mi (91.6 km2)|
|• Land||34.9 sq mi (90.4 km2)|
|• Water||0.5 sq mi (1.2 km2)|
|Elevation||725 ft (221 m)|
|• Density||82/sq mi (31.5/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1625874|
The township is in the northeast portion of the county, with Benton Charter Township to the west, Hagar Township to the northwest, and Coloma Charter Township and Watervliet Charter Township to the north. East of the township is Keeler Township in Van Buren County. Pipestone Township is to the south, and Sodus Township to the southwest.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the township has a total area of 35.4 square miles (91.6 km2), of which 34.9 square miles (90.4 km2) is land and 0.46 square miles (1.2 km2), or 1.27%, is water.
As of the census of 2000, there were 3,132 people, 1,142 households, and 832 families residing in the township. The population density was 89.1 per square mile (34.4/km²). There were 1,295 housing units at an average density of 36.8 per square mile (14.2/km²). The racial makeup of the township was 95.47% White, 0.57% African American, 0.67% Native American, 0.10% Asian, 0.10% Pacific Islander, 1.92% from other races, and 1.18% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 12.90% of the population.
There were 1,142 households out of which 26.9% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 62.2% were married couples living together, 7.0% had a female householder with no husband present, and 27.1% were non-families. 22.6% of all households were made up of individuals and 9.0% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.56 and the average family size was 2.96.
In the township the population was spread out with 24.4% under the age of 18, 7.5% from 18 to 24, 26.9% from 25 to 44, 27.6% from 45 to 64, and 13.6% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 39 years. For every 100 females there were 105.9 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 105.6 males.
The median income for a household in the township was $38,750, and the median income for a family was $46,250. Males had a median income of $32,991 versus $26,290 for females. The per capita income for the township was $17,854. About 7.4% of families and 12.5% of the population were below the poverty line, including 16.9% of those under age 18 and 8.1% of those age 65 or over.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Bainbridge Township, Michigan
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Bainbridge township, Berrien County, Michigan". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved January 9, 2014.
- Romig 1986, p. 39.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Spinks Corners
- Road Map of Berrien County, Michigan (PDF) (Map). Berrien County Road Commission. 2009. Retrieved 2010-03-03.
- Romig, Walter (October 1, 1986) . Michigan Place Names: The History of the Founding and the Naming of More Than Five Thousand Past and Present Michigan Communities. Great Lakes Books Series (Paperback). Detroit, Michigan: Wayne State University Press. ISBN 081431838X. ISBN 978-0814318386.