|Established as a Municipality||June 1, 2014|
|• Total||29.54 km2 (11.41 sq mi)|
|Elevation||250 m (820 ft)|
|• Density||600/km2 (1,600/sq mi)|
Baitoa is a municipality in the Santiago Province of the Dominican Republic. It was recently created as a municipality on June 1, 2014. Baitoa is located within the northern valley of the Dominican Republic, also known as the Cibao or El Cibao. Natives of Baitoa are known as Baitoeros.
The first school of Baitoa, Liceo Prof. Gabriel Franco, was founded and named after Gabriel Franco. It is located near Carretera Santiago Baitoa, the main highway traversing the region. Franco was one of the first educators in the region at the turn of the 20th century. He was the son of Catalonian immigrants, Justo Franco and Maria Francisca Nunez. Liceo Prof. Gabriel Franco is still open today.
The main hospital of Baitoa is Hospital Municipal Antonio Fernandez, incorporated on September 28, 2012.
On June 28, 2017, the Mayor of Baitoa, Bernardo Lopez, organized a protest in front of the national palace, demanding a clean water supply system for his constituents.
The local population of Baitoa are predominantly of Roman Catholic origin. One of the local churches is Iglesia San Ramon, or Saint Ramon Catholic Church.
Notable people from Baitoa
- Manny Pérez - actor, screenwriter
- Diccia Pineda-Kirwan - New York State Supreme Court Justice, first Dominican Judge in Queens
- Apolinar Nunez - poet
- Jose Miguel Perez - Activist, leader of the Scout Movement in the 1990s and 2000s, president of Transportation Labor Union in Baitoa during the years 2006-2013, coordinator of the work team club Union y Progreso, member of the Civil Defense of the Dominican Republic in Baitoa during the years 2000-2013, now a volunteer and collaborator.
- Melvin Díaz - Supermarket Owner in Washington Heights, Manhattan
- Ley que eleva el distrito municipal Baitoa
- Baitoa ya es Municipio
- Gabriel Franco
- Photo of Liceo Prof. Gabriel Franco
- Mayor of Baitoa claims aqueduct
|This Dominican Republic location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|