|Studio album by Chris Isaak|
|Released||October 8, 1996|
|Chris Isaak chronology|
|Christgau's Consumer Guide|||
|The Encyclopedia of Popular Music|||
Baja Sessions is the sixth studio album by Chris Isaak, released in 1996, featuring largely acoustic arrangements. The album contains a large number of covers, many of which are classic songs (such as the Hawaiian-tinged "Sweet Leilani" and "South of the Border (Down Mexico Way)") which refer to, or are styled to suggest, tropical, laid-back settings. Though its title refers to Baja California, the album was recorded at San Francisco's Coast Recorders.
A 58-minute documentary was released featuring Isaak performing the songs as well as making amusing asides, surfing and generally mucking around.
All tracks composed by Chris Isaak, except where indicated
- "Pretty Girls Don't Cry" – 3:09
- "Back on Your Side" – 3:03
- "Only the Lonely" (Roy Orbison, Joe Melson) – 2:53
- "South of the Border (Down Mexico Way)" (Jimmy Kennedy, Michael Carr) - 3:10
- "I Wonder" – 2:55
- "Wrong to Love You" – 3:55
- "Waiting for My Lucky Day" – 2:38
- "Yellow Bird" (Norman Luboff, Alan Bergman) - 2:29
- "Two Hearts" – 3:19
- "Return to Me" (Carmen Lombardo, Danny DiMinno) - 2:17
- "Dancin'" – 3:57
- "Sweet Leilani" (Harry Owens) – 2:16
- "Think of Tomorrow" – 2:57
- Chris Isaak - vocals, guitar
- Hershel Yatovitz - lead guitar
- Rowland Salley - bass, vocals
- Kenney Dale Johnson - drums
Sales and certifications
|United States (RIAA)||Gold||556,000|
*sales figures based on certification alone
- Raggett, Ned. "Baja Sessions Review". AllMusic. Retrieved 2018-03-08.
- Christgau, Robert (2000-10-15). "Chris Isaak". Christgau's Consumer Guide: Albums of the '90s. Macmillan Publishing. ISBN 9780312245603.
- Larkin, Colin (2011). The Encyclopedia of Popular Music. Omnibus Press. ISBN 9780857125958.
- Mirkin, Steven (1996-10-18). "Baja Sessions". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved 2017-07-30.
- Schreiber, Ryan. "Chris Isaak: The Baja Sessions". Pitchfork. Archived from the original on 2001-08-29.
- "American album certifications – Chris Isaak – Baja sessions". Recording Industry Association of America. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Album, then click SEARCH
|This article about a 1990s pop rock album is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|