Baka Not Nice
Baka Not Nice
|Birth name||Travis Savoury|
|Born||major March 6, 1979|
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Travis Savoury, (born March 6, 1979) better known by his stage name Baka Not Nice, is a Canadian rapper from Toronto, Ontario. He is signed to OVO Sound, the record label co-founded by rapper Drake, producer Noah "40" Shebib and Oliver El-Khatib.
He can be heard at the end of "From Time" from Drake's 2013 album Nothing Was The Same. He also provided the outro to Drake's "Free Smoke" and backing vocals on "Gyalchester", both from the 2017 album More Life.
On June 27, 2017, he became the latest signing for Drake's OVO Sound record label and signed the contract in front of a crowd. Three days later, he released his first single "Live Up to My Name", co-written by Drake. "Live Up to My Name" peaked at number 77 on the Canadian Hot 100.
In 2014, Baka was arrested and charged with forcing a 22-year-old woman into prostitution and taking her money. In 2015, he pleaded guilty to assaulting the woman and an unrelated weapons charge. He was sentenced to six months, but since he had already done 10 months in custody, he did not serve an additional six months.
The woman refused to testify so they had to drop the charges for procuring prostitution and human trafficking. She was working as an escort and had an on-and-off relationship with Baka. She moved from Toronto by the time the trial was underway.
Baka has priors for armed robbery, assault, discharging a firearm while committing a robbery, and possession for the purpose of trafficking. Upon his release, Drake said: "When [he] got out of jail there was a lot of different paths he could've took and he decided to focus on music."
|Title||Year||Peak chart positions|
|"Live Up to My Name"||2017||77|
|"Money in the Bank"||—|
|"I Am Who I Am"||—|
|"From Time"||2013||Drake||Nothing Was the Same|
|"Free Smoke"||2017||More Life|
- "Longtime Drake Affiliate Baka Not Nice Signs To OVO". Genius. Retrieved 2017-09-15.
- "Drake Signs Baka to OVO Sound". Rap-Up. Retrieved 2017-09-15.
- Live Up To My Name - Single by Baka Not Nice on Apple Music, 2017-06-30, retrieved 2017-09-15
- "Drake entourage member guilty of assaulting woman". Toronto Sun. Retrieved 2017-09-15.
- Powell, Betsy (2007-10-30). "Deported man faces firearms charges". The Toronto Star. ISSN 0319-0781. Retrieved 2018-02-14.
- "Canadian Albums: August 18, 2018". Billboard. Retrieved August 14, 2018.
- "Here Are The Full Credits For More Life". The FADER. Retrieved 2017-09-15.