This article includes a list of references, related reading or external links, but its sources remain unclear because it lacks inline citations. (December 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Parent||Fleming Companies, Inc |
Abraham Baker opened his first grocery store in Walnut, Iowa in 1927. His first Omaha-area store opened in Bellevue, Nebraska in 1947, and his first in Omaha itself at 73rd and Maple Streets opened in 1957.
In 1971, Abraham's two sons, Jack and Bob, took on more management responsibility. In 1972, The Jewel Companies, Inc. made a deal with Baker's to open a Turn Style/Baker's Family Center in Omaha. As revenue's began to decline, The Baker family sold the chain to food wholesaler Fleming Companies, Inc in 1992. The Kroger Company purchased the Baker's stores from Fleming in 2001, after Fleming ran into financial problems.
In 2004, three former Albertsons supermarkets in Omaha were purchased and turned into Baker's stores after Albertsons withdrew from the Omaha market. Baker's today is run under the Dillons division, which includes Baker's, Dillons, and Gerbes.
- "The Kroger Co. - Corporate News & Info: Press Releases". Thekrogerco.com. Retrieved 12 December 2018.
- "A Quick History of the Supermarket". Groceteria.com. 4 July 2009. Retrieved 12 December 2018.
- Grocer, Master (20 February 2011). "Baker's Supermarkets". Grocery.com. Retrieved 12 December 2018.
- "Grocery Stores, Omaha - Google Search". Google.com. Retrieved 12 December 2018.
- "Baker's to Open Three Stores," Progressivegrocer.com, August 27, 2004
- "Grocery Giant Got Its Start With Family," Omaha World-Herald. December 15, 2000