Post Office in Baker, March 2010
|• Total||0.9 sq mi (2.3 km2)|
|• Land||0.9 sq mi (2.3 km2)|
|• Water||0 sq mi (0 km2)|
|Elevation||5,315 ft (1,620 m)|
|• Density||77/sq mi (30/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC−8 (Pacific (PST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC−7 (PDT)|
|GNIS feature ID||2629977|
Baker is a census-designated place in southeastern White Pine County, Nevada, United States. It is located 5 miles (8.0 km) east of the main entrance of Great Basin National Park at the junction of State Routes 487 and 488. The town is named after an early settler, George W. Baker. Its population at the 2010 census was 68.
Public education is provided through the White Pine County School District. Baker 3-6 Elementary school is the only school in Baker.
Lodgings in the community include the Stargazer Inn, located at the center of town; the End of the Trail…er, Baker's original bed-and-fix-your-own-breakfast, located at the edge of town; and the Border Inn, located just east of town on the Utah/Nevada border.
In popular culture
In January 1997, Late Show with David Letterman produced a segment on the town, with the show's Biff Henderson touring the area and ending his narrative on Baker with the quote, "It's quiet, peaceful, beautiful and the people are friendly."
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Baker Census Designated Place
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Baker CDP, Nevada". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Archived from the original on February 12, 2020. Retrieved January 28, 2013.
- "Horsehair Art". End of the Trail…er. Archived from the original on 15 July 2011. Retrieved 2011-06-09.
- "Welcome to SilverJack IronWorks". Archived from the original on 16 July 2011. Retrieved 2011-06-09.
- "Baker Is Famous For Being Funny…". Great Basin Business & Tourism Council. Archived from the original on 11 July 2011. Retrieved 2011-06-09.
|Wikivoyage has a travel guide for Baker (Nevada).|
Media related to Baker, Nevada at Wikimedia Commons