Baker Publishing Group
||This article's tone or style may not reflect the encyclopedic tone used on Wikipedia. (November 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Country of origin||United States|
|Headquarters location||Grand Rapids, Michigan|
|Imprints||Bethany House, Revell, Baker Books, Baker Academic, Chosen and Brazos Press|
Baker Publishing Group is an Evangelical Christian book publisher based in Grand Rapids, Michigan. It has six subdivisions: Bethany House, Revell, Baker Books, Baker Academic, Chosen and Brazos Press.
The company was founded in 1939, by Herman Baker. The company has published Christian books that discuss many issues, from family life to theology, within a broadly evangelical framework. Baker publishes books and ministry resources for pastors and church leaders, concentrating on topics such as preaching, worship, pastoral ministries, counseling and leadership. Baker also publishes for lay Christians on topics such as discipleship, spirituality, encouragement, relationships, marriage, parenting and the intersection of Christianity and culture.
In April 2014 Baker announced that it is acquiring Regal Books from Gospel Light.
Bethany House is a publisher of Christian fiction, nonfiction and children's books. It is located in Bloomington, Minnesota, a suburb of Minneapolis. The express mission of Bethany House is to help Christians apply biblical truth in all areas of life — whether through a well-told story, a challenging devotional, or the message of an illustrated children's book.
Fleming H. Revell Company
The Revell publishing business was established in 1870 by Christian Evangelist D.L. Moody and his brother-in-law, Fleming H. Revell. The two men identified a market for practical books that would help bring the Christian faith to everyday life. In 1992, the Fleming H. Revell Company of Grand Rapids, was absorbed by Baker. Published authors include Abraham Cressy Morrison.
- Smith, Arthur Henderson (1901). China in a Convulsion, Volume 2. Fleming H. Revell Company. Retrieved 1 April 2013.
The Chosen publishing enterprise began in 1971. In 1985, the company was absorbed into the Revell publishing Group. When Revell was bought by Baker, the Chosen imprint remained as a distinct unit within the newly expanded company.
- Baker company history, Baker Book House web.
- Baker mission, Baker Book House web.
- Cambridge distributor, Baker Book House web.
- Johnson, Christine D. (11 April 2014). "Baker Publishing Group to acquire Regal Books". Christian Retailing. Retrieved 27 April 2014.
- Bethany company history, Baker Book House web.
- Revell company history, Baker Book House web.
- Google Books: The Baking Powder Controversy (Fleming H. Revell Company, 1944)- Retrieved 2014-04-20
- Chosen company history, Baker Book House web.
- Brazos mission, Baker Book House web.
Byle, Ann. (2014). The Baker Book House Story Grand Rapids: Baker Books. ISBN 978-0801016585
Fisher, Allan. (1995). Fleming H. Revell Company: The First 125 Years, 1870-1995. Grand Rapids: Fleming H. Revell. ISBN 978-0-8007-5585-0