Baker Boys: Inside the Surge
|Baker Boys: Inside The Surge|
|Directed by||Kern Konwiser|
|Theme music composer||Jordan Innis|
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of episodes||4|
|Running time||231 minutes|
January 25, 2010
Baker Boys: Inside the Surge, is a 2010 four-part documentary series following the soldiers of Baker Company, Task Force 1-15 Infantry, 3d Heavy Brigade Combat Team, 3rd Infantry Division, during their deployment in Operation Iraqi Freedom at Combat Outpost Carver during the troop surge of 2007.
The series provides an intimate view of soldiers on the front lines during the Surge of coalition troops in Iraq. When veteran war cameraman Jon Steele embedded with Baker Company in February, 2008, he came with no media affiliation or assignment from the news desk... only to ask the soldiers "What do you think?" and "How do you feel?" Over the next 90 days, he filmed everything they did and said from sun up to sundown. With startling access, the film documents what a counter-insurgency looks like up close and personal, as the "Surge" transforms the art of war into the "art of the deal". Along with footage from ground and air combat missions, the film focused around interviews with individual members of Baker Company.
"This documentary series is extremely powerful," said Mark Cuban, chairman and co-founder of HDNet. "Our viewers will be deeply moved by these soldiers and the stories that they tell us in their own words. We're proud to be a part of this project and to present our viewers with this inside look at life in Iraq."
Baker Boys: Inside the Surge was first aired on January 4, 2010, in four 1 hour segments every Monday, on HDNet. The series was released for screening on April 23, 2010 at the Newport Beach Film Festival. On January 4, 2011, Baker Boys was released on DVD, initially exclusive through the Army and Air Force Exchange Service (AAFES). The National Infantry Museum will be hosting a film premiere event for the Fort Benning community, home of the 1-15 Infantry featured in the film, by screening Baker Boys: Inside the Surge in its IMAX theatre on January 19 & 20, 2011. Following the screenings, there will be an open Q&A with journalist Jon Steele, director Kern Konwiser, and several members of Baker Company who are now stationed at Fort Benning, including Baker Company's former commander, MAJ Rich Thompson. This event was made possible through the collaborative efforts of Kern Konwiser and Richard Hagan, event's coordinator of the National Infantry Museum.
Baker Boys: Inside the Surge has won awards at every festival in which it has been played, including:
|Audience Award Winner||11th Annual Newport Beach Film Festival||2010|||
|Award Of Excellence||Accolade Competition||2010|||
|Silver Remi Winner||43rd Annual WorldFest-Houston International Film Festival||2010|||
|Bronze Winner||31st Annual Telly Awards||2010|||
|Honorable Mention||Dart Awards for Excellence in Journalism||2010|||
|Genius Audience Award||20th Annual Gotham Awards' Festival||2010|||
|Best Documentary Feature||7th Annual Ventura Film Festival||2010|||
|Special Jury Award, Telecast Series||55th Annual CINE film and video competition||2011|||
- "Footprints In The Sand: Baker Boys: Inside The Surge". footprintsinthesandsofiraq.blogspot.com.
- "Free Services for PR :: News :: Press Releases". pr-inside.com. Archived from the original on 2012-06-12.
- Julie Bouchard (18 March 2015). "Baker Boys: Inside the Surge (2010)". IMDb.
- News Blaze
- Newport Beach Film Festival
- National Infantry Museum Archived 2011-04-08 at the Wayback Machine
- "Patriot Park IMAX at the National Infantry Museum". patriotparkimax.blogspot.com.
- Australia ABC1
- Newport Beach Film Festival 2010 Winners Archived 2011-07-14 at the Wayback Machine
- "Good night, Posterous". posterous.com.
- "Newport Beach Film Festival announces winners". The Orange County Register. Archived from the original on 2010-11-30.
- "Deadline May 29, 2015!" (PDF). accoladecompetition.org. Archived from the original (PDF) on March 12, 2012.
- International Film Festival[permanent dead link]
- "Baker Boys: Inside the Surge - Dart Center for Journalism & Trauma". dartcenter.org.
- "Free Services for PR :: News :: Press Releases". pr-inside.com.[permanent dead link]
- "Ventura Film Festival". Ventura Film Festival. Archived from the original on 2011-11-29.
- "Login - CINE". CINE.