Baker, Donelson, Bearman, Caldwell & Berkowitz
|No. of offices||24 total, 1 international|
|No. of attorneys||800+ (2017)|
|Major practice areas||General practice|
|Key people||Ben C. Adams, Chairman and CEO|
|Founder||James F. Baker|
|Company type||Professional corporation|
Baker, Donelson, Bearman, Caldwell & Berkowitz P.C. is a large U.S. law firm and lobbying group with offices in the Southeastern United States, Washington, D.C. and London, England. Fortune has selected Baker Donelson as one of the 100 Best Companies to Work For seven times, citing the firm's commitment to diversity, public service and pro bono work.
Baker, Donelson, Bearman, Caldwell & Berkowitz traces its roots back to the firm of Baker, Worthington, Crossley & Stansberry, founded in 1888 in Huntsville, Tennessee by James Baker. James Baker's son, Howard Baker, Sr., who served as a United States Representative from Tennessee, and his grandson, Howard Baker, Jr., who served as Majority Leader of the United States Senate and White House Chief of Staff, were also lawyers at the firm. Howard Baker, Jr. was the last lawyer at the original Huntsville office, which closed after his death in 2014.
In addition to its broad-based litigation and lobbying practices, the firm has practices in corporate law, mergers & acquisitions, labor and employment, real estate, bankruptcy, health law, intellectual property, and tax law. It is also known as a large lobbying firm, representing large clients such as Toshiba.
Notable lawyers and alumni
- David Addington, former Chief of Staff to the Vice President of the United States under Dick Cheney.
- Howard Baker, Sr., former United States Representative from Tennessee
- Howard Baker, Jr., former U.S. Senator and United States Ambassador to Japan, later Senior Counsel to the firm before his death in 2014
- Catherine Crosby, former Miss Alabama 2003
- James C. Duff, former director of the Administrative Office of the United States Courts.
- Lawrence Eagleburger, former Secretary of State under George H. W. Bush, served as a foreign policy advisor to the firm
- Nancy Johnson, former Congresswoman from the state of Connecticut
- Robb LaKritz, real estate developer and former Special Assistant and Advisor to the Deputy Secretary of the United States Treasury.
- Ray Mabus, former Secretary of the Navy under Barack Obama, former Governor of the U.S. state of Mississippi from 1988 to 1992, and former United States Ambassador to Saudi Arabia from 1994 to 1996.
- Tom Daschle, former U.S. Senator and Senate Majority Leader.
- Adams firm profile
- Fortunes' 100 Best Companies to Work For (2016)
- "Profile of Professional Organization Contributors Baker Donelson Bearman Caldwell & Berkowitz, PC". The National Law Review. The National Law Forum, LLC. 2012-11-05. Retrieved 2013-01-24.
- MP McQueen, "After 126 Years, Baker Donelson Shutters Huntsville Office", The American Lawyer, November 11, 2014.
- Timeline of the firm's history
- Catherine Ho, "Daschle Leaves DLA Piper to Form Lobbying Group at Baker Donelson", The Washington Post, November 3, 2014 – via HighBeam Research (subscription required).