|3rd President of Artsakh|
7 September 2007
|Prime Minister||Anushavan Danielyan
|Preceded by||Arkadi Ghukasyan|
|Interior Minister of Nagorno-Karabakh|
30 August 1960 |
Stepanakert, Nagorno-Karabakh, Soviet Union
|Alma mater||Artsakh University|
|Service/branch||Nagorno-Karabakh Defense Army|
|Years of service||1990–2007|
Bako Sahakyan (Armenian: Բակո Սահակյան; born 30 August 1960) is the third president of the self-proclaimed Republic of Artsakh. He was first elected as President on 19 July 2007 and on 19 July 2012 he was re-elected for a second five-year term, receiving around two-third of the votes. Sahakyan replaced Arkadi Ghukasyan, who had held the presidential post for two five-year terms.
Sahakyan was born in Stepanakert, NKAO, Azerbaijan SSR in 1960. After serving in the Soviet army, he worked for nine years in a Stepanakert factory. In 1990, he joined the Nagorno-Karabakh Defense Army, of which he became a deputy commander. In 1999, he was named interior minister of Nagorno-Karabakh. He also led the Nagorno-Karabakh security service from 2001 to June 2007, when he resigned in order to run in the 2007 Nagorno-Karabakh Presidential elections.
Bako Sahakyan ran as an independent and won the elections with 85 percent of the votes. Voters mainly turned to Sahakyan because of his record in the security services. He has pledged to seek full independence of Artsakh, using the example that international recognition of Kosovo as an independent state would pave the way for acceptance of Artsakh's sovereignty. He was re-elected for a second five-year term in 2012 and then indirectly in 2017 for a three-year term.
Bako Sahakyan is married and has two children.
Sahakyan visited the village of Vank (Martakert region) to participate in an opening ceremony[when?] of a new building of a local hospital built with financial assistance of philanthropist Levon Hayrapetyan.
His name is sometimes transcribed as Bako Sahakian or Saakian.
- "The Office of the Nagorno Karabakh Republic in USA". Nkrusa.org. Retrieved 2015-11-03.
- "Former Security Chief Wins Nagorno-Karabakh Vote". Rferl.org. 2007-07-20. Retrieved 2015-11-03.
-  Archived October 21, 2007, at the Wayback Machine.
- Eastern Europe, Russia and Central Asia 2004 - Page 132 by Taylor & Francis Group, Imogen Gladman
- https://web.archive.org/web/20081012145153/http://www.news.com.au/story/0%2C23599%2C22103717-1702%2C00.html. Archived from the original on October 12, 2008. Retrieved July 20, 2007. Missing or empty
-  Archived August 22, 2007, at the Wayback Machine.
- "Bako Sahakyan - Biography". president.nkr.am. President of the Artsakh Republic. Retrieved 18 July 2015.
- "Bako Sahakyan participated in opening ceremony of new hospital". News.am. 2011-02-18. Retrieved 2015-11-03.
|President of Artsakh