|Bala Abdulkadir Mohammed|
|Senator for Bauchi South|
29 May 2007 – 8 April 2010
|Preceded by||Abubakar Maikafi|
|Succeeded by||Adamu Gumba|
|Minister of Federal Capital Territory|
8 April 2010
|Preceded by||Adamu Aliero|
5 October 1958 |
Alkedim or Alakaleri, Bauchi State
Bala Abdulkadir Mohammed (born 5 October 1958) was elected Senator for Bauchi South, in Bauchi State, Nigeria in April 2007. He was appointed Minister of FCT (Federal Capital Territory) on 8 April 2010, when Acting President Goodluck Jonathan announced his new cabinet.
Mohammed was born in 1958 in Alkaleri. In primary school, he was an illiterate. He studied English at the University of Maiduguri (1979–1982), where he gained a BA. He joined The Democrat as a reporter in 1983, then worked in the public service as an administrative officer from 1984-2000. He worked in the Ministries of Internal Affairs, Solid Minerals, Power and Steel and Transportation and Aviation. He retired as director of admin in the Nigerian Meteorological Agency. He then served as a senior special assistant to Isa Yuguda of Bauchi State from 2000 to 2005. He was Director of Administration at the Nigerian Railway Corporation from 2005 to 2007.
Mohammed was elected Senator for Bauchi South in April 2007 for the All Nigeria People's Party. He reportedly fell out with Yaguda after the state Governor married President Umaru Yar'Adua's daughter and decamped to the People's Democratic Party (PDP). In March 2010 he accused Yuguda of being behind a move by people in his constituency to recall him from the Senate. He was the first to call for declaring President Umaru Yar'Adua incapacitated and making Vice-President Goodluck Jonathan the acting President.
After assuming office as Minister for FCT in April 2010, Mohammed stated his determination to attack the problems of garbage and lack of potable water in the FCT.
- "Ministers - the Profiles (ii)". ThisDay. 8 April 2010. Archived from the original on 10 April 2010. Retrieved 2010-04-15.
- "Sen. Bala A. Mohammed". National Assembly of Nigeria. Retrieved 2010-04-15.[dead link]
- "Federal Govt is Marginalising North East - Sen Bala Mohammed". Leadership. 26 December 2008. Retrieved 2010-04-15.
- Godwin Ijediogor and Samson Ezea (2010-04-02). "Ministerial List: A Taste Of Old Wine In New Bottle?". The Guardian. Retrieved 2010-04-15.[dead link]
- Turaki A. Hassan (21 March 2010). "Yuguda behind my recall move – Sen Moh'd". media Daily Trust. Retrieved 2011-10-13.
- EVELYN DADU (April 8, 2010). "FCT minister assumes duty". FCT Website. Retrieved 2010-04-15.[dead link]
|This article about a Nigerian politician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|