Balache Point Lighthouse
Balache Point in 2011
|Location||Nova Scotia, Canada|
|Year first lit||1963 (current)|
|Markings / pattern||white tower with a red vertical stripe on the range line|
|Height||6 metres (20 ft)|
|Focal height||9 metres (30 ft)|
|Range||16 nautical miles (30 km; 18 mi)|
|CHS number||CCG 702|
Balache Point Lighthouse also known as Balache Point Range Rear Lighthouse is an active Canadian lighthouse located next to the Canso Canal, near Port Hastings, Inverness County, Nova Scotia. The salt shaker style light, which sits on a small hillock on the Cape Breton side of the canal, is the second lighthouse to be built on the site.
The first lighthouse at Balache point was built in 1905, it displayed a fixed white light from a 9.7-metre-high (32 ft) wooden tower. A fog horn was added in 1908, and it housed a 5th order lens from 1922 to 1941. The light was decommissioned in the 1950s. Lighthouse keepers were Allan Nicholson and Catherine Nicholson.
The current lighthouse was built in 1963, as the rear beacon of a pair of range lights, helping to guide vessels into the canal at its northern end. The canal and its locks, allows ships to pass through the Canso Causeway, which crosses the Strait of Canso.
The tapering 6.7-metre-high (22 ft) wooden tower is of the salt shaker design, painted white, with a red lantern and balcony, although pictures from 2008 show an all-white tower and lantern. It has a broad vertical red stripe to mark the range line, matching the stripe on the front range tower. Both the front and rear lights display an occulting yellow light, flashing every eleven seconds, and both have a range of 16 nautical miles. The light is automatic, but only operates seasonally between April and December.
- Rowlett, Russ. "Lighthouses of Nova Scotia: Cape Breton Island". The Lighthouse Directory. University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. Retrieved 10 August 2016.
- "Balache Point Range Rear I". lighthousefriends.com. Retrieved 10 August 2016.
- "Balache Point Light I". Light Details. Nova Scotia Lighthouse Preservation Society. Retrieved 10 August 2016.
- "Balache Point Light". Lighthouse Digest. Foghorn Publishing. Retrieved 10 August 2016.
- "Balache Point Range Rear Light". Light Details. Nova Scotia Lighthouse Preservation Society. Retrieved 10 August 2016.
- "Nova Scotia and Cape Breton Island : Light list 686.5 - 704.1" (PDF). Canadian Coast Guard. Retrieved 10 August 2016.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Balache Point Lighthouse.|