Balangoda is a large town in Ratnapura District, Sabaragamuwa Province, Sri Lanka, governed by an urban council. Its 143 kilometres (89 mi) from Colombo and 43 kilometres (27 mi) from Ratnapura. It is one of the largest towns of the Sabaragamuwa Province. According to the 2001 census, Balangoda has a population of 16,875 and area of 16.2 km². Sri shariputhra maha vidyalaya school is located here.
The town is also the birthplace of Balangoda Ananda Maitreya Thero and Sirimavo Bandaranaike (the world's first female head of government) the Prime Minister of Sri Lanka (1960–65, 1970–77 and 1994–2000).
- Deraniyagala, Siran U. (1996). "Pre- and Protohistoric settlement in Sri Lanka". Congress of the International Union for Prehistoric and Protohistoric Sciences. 5 (16): 277–285.
- Kenndy, Kenneth A. R. (2000). "God-apes and Fossil Men: Paleoanthropology of South Asia". University of Michigan Press. pp. 180–181.
- Fernando, Thilak (24 September 1994). "Face to face with late Ven. Aggamaha Panditha Balangoda Ananda Maitreya Thero". The Island - Saturday Magazine. Retrieved 4 May 2010.
- "Sirimavo R.D. Bandaranaike (prime minister of Sri Lanka)". BRITANNICA-Online.
- "Sirimavo Bandaranaike: First woman premier". BBC News. 10 October 2000.
|This Sabaragamuwa Province, Sri Lanka location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|