Baldwin (LIRR station)
Baldwin Station as seen from Sunrise Highway
|Location||Sunrise Highway & Grand Avenue
Baldwin, New York
|Owned by||Long Island Rail Road|
|Platforms||1 island platform|
|Connections||NICE Bus: n35|
|Rebuilt||1881, 1917, 1957|
|Electrified||May 20, 1925
750 V (DC) third rail
|Previous names||Baldwinsville (1867–1892)
Baldwin is a station on the Babylon Branch of the Long Island Rail Road. It is officially located on Sunrise Highway and Grand Avenue in Baldwin, New York, although it also includes Milburn and Brooklyn Avenues.
Baldwin Station was originally built in February 1868 by the South Side Railroad of Long Island, though trains had already been stopping there, then called Baldwinsville, since October 28, 1867. The station was remodeled in May 1881, and was razed in 1917, and a second station was opened on December 28, later that year. As part of the grade elimination project taking place along the Babylon Branch throughout the Babylon-Montauk Branch between the 1940s and 1960s this station was razed in November 1957, and officially replaced with the current elevated structure on October 2, 1957 after the last ground level train passed through at 12:18 pm.
The station has one 12-car-long high-level island platform between the two tracks. The platform includes an extension over the Grand Avenue bridge between the two tracks that is covered with a gabled roof.
|G||Ground level||Entrance/exit, parking, buses|
|Track 1||← Babylon Branch toward Jamaica or Penn Station (Rockville Centre)
← Montauk Branch does not stop here
|Island platform, doors will open on the left or right|
|Track 2||Babylon Branch toward Babylon (Freeport) →
Montauk Branch does not stop here →
- Baldwinsville Station (Arrt's Arrchives)
- Average weekday, 2006 LIRR Origin and Destination Study
- "Aged Commuter Helps 'Run' First Baldwin Overhead Train". The LEADER. Freeport, NY: L & M Publications. October 10, 1957. p. 3. Retrieved 17 April 2012.
Dr. William F. Morgan [...] on the first train over the new viaduct on Wednesday, Oct 2.
- DanTD (September 24, 2012). Baldwin LIRR station; Ped Bridge for SB Grand Ave Buses (photograph). Retrieved December 23, 2012.
Media related to Baldwin (LIRR station) at Wikimedia Commons
- Official LIRR station information page for Baldwin
- Station timetable for Baldwin
- Baldwin Station Photo; April 2007 (Unofficial LIRR History Website)
- Grand Avenue entrance from Google Maps Street View
- Station House from Google Maps Street View
|This New York train station–related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|