Baldwin IV, Count of Hainaut
|Baldwin IV, Count of Hainaut|
|Spouse(s)||Alice of Namur|
|Noble family||House of Flanders|
|Father||Baldwin III, Count of Hainaut|
|Mother||Yolande de Wassenberg|
|Died||8 November 1171|
Also known as Baldwin the Builder, he purchased the property of Ath in 1158 and built the Burbant tower. He ceded the locality of Braine-la-Willotte also known as Braine-le-Comte to the chapter of Sainte-Waudru in 1158. In 1159, he incorporated the seigniory of Chimay and in 1160, the châtellenies of Valencians and of Ostrevent.
- Yolande (1131–1202), married 1)Ivo, Count of Soissons, 2)Hugh IV, Count of St Pol
- Baldwin (1134–1147)
- Agnes (1142–1168), married Ralph I, Lord of Coucy and had issue including Yolande de Coucy, wife of Robert II, Count of Dreux.
- Geoffrey, Count of Ostervant (1147–1163), first husband of Eleanor, Countess of Vermandois
- William (Guillaume) (?–1230), married Mahaut de Lalaing
- Lauretta (1150–1181), married 1}Thierry of Alost, 2)Bouchard IV, Count of Montmorency
- Baldwin V (1150–1195), also count of Flanders by his marriage to Margaret I of Flanders
- Gislebertus (of Mons), Chronicle of Hainaut, transl. Laura Napran, (The Boydell Press, 2005), 40.
- Detlev Schwennicke, Europäische Stammtafeln, New Series, Vol. XXVII, Tafel 32.
- Gislebertus (of Mons), Chronicle of Hainaut, 41.
- Gislebertus (of Mons), Chronicle of Hainaut, 42.
Baldwin IV, Count of HainautBorn: 1108 Died: 8 November 1171
|Count of Hainaut
|This biographical article of a European noble is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|