Bales Beach Aquatic Reserve
|Bales Beach Aquatic Reserve|
|Nearest town or city||Vivonne Bay.|
|Area||7.3 km2 (2.8 sq mi)|
|Managing authorities||Primary Industries and Resources South Australia (PIRSA)|
|See also||Protected areas of South Australia|
Bales Beach Aquatic Reserve is a marine protected area in the Australian state of South Australia located in waters off the south coast of Kangaroo Island immediately adjoining and including the intertidal zone within the locality of Seal Bay whose full extent is occupied by the Seal Bay Conservation Park.
It was declared after 1971 for the purpose of ‘the protection of a major breeding colony of the Australian sea lion’. The collection or the removal of any marine organism is prohibited within the reserve. The aquatic reserve which immediately adjoins the Seal Bay Aquatic Reserve extents eastward for a distance of about 5 kilometres (3.1 miles) Bay and also extends seaward a distance of about 1 nautical mile (1.9 km; 1.2 mi). It has an area of 7.3 square kilometres (2.8 square miles). While it is managed in conjunction with the Seal Bay Aquatic Reserve, it was gazetted as a separate aquatic reserve.
- "Summary of SA Marine Protected Areas by Type (see 'SA Reserve List' tab)". Australian Government - Department of the Environment. 10 February 2003. Retrieved 9 October 2016.
- "Collaborative Australian Protected Area Database (CAPAD) - Marine Protected Areas in coastal waters of South Australia (refer "DETAIL' tab)". Australian Government, Department of the Environment (DoE). Retrieved 11 April 2016.
- "Search result for "Seal Bay-Bales Beach Aquatic Reserve (sic)" with the following databases selected - "Suburbs and Localities" and "Aquatic Reserves"". Location SA Viewer. Government of South Australia. Retrieved 9 October 2016.
- Primary Industries and Regions South Australia (PIRSA) (9 October 2016), Aquatic Reserve: Seal Bay - Bales Beach (PDF), Primary Industries and Regions South Australia (published 2007), archived (PDF) from the original on 19 September 2015
- "Alteration of boundaries of aquatic reserves, Bales Beach Aquatic Reserve" (PDF). The South Australian Government Gazette. 29 November 2007. p. 4389. Retrieved 6 October 2014.
- "Upper Spencer Gulf Marine Park Management Plan 2012" (PDF). Department of Environment, Water and Natural Resources (DEWNR). pp. 10 and 23. Retrieved 9 October 2016.