|Directed by||V. M. Vinu|
|Produced by||M. Mani|
|Written by||T. A. Shahid|
|Music by||M. Jayachandran
Gireesh Puthenchery (lyrics)
|Edited by||P. C. Mohanan|
|Distributed by||Aroma Release & PJ Entertainments UK|
|Box office||12 crores|
Balettan is a 2003 Malayalam family drama film directed by V. M. Vinu and starring Mohanlal, Devayani, Harisree Ashokan, Innocent, Nedumudi Venu and Jagathy Sreekumar. The movie was the biggest hit of 2003 . It won the Kaveri Film Critics' Award for the most popular Malayalam film of 2003. The film was remade in Telugu as Rajababu with Rajasekhar. g
Balettan is the story of Athaniparampil Balachandran (Mohanlal) who is known for his service in the society. His father (Nedumudi venu) is a retired postmaster. He lives with his wife Radhika (Devayani) and two children. Circumstances turn him into a debtor and he is arrested in a cheating case, but he manages to solve all those problems with his father's pension money. One day a stranger (Riyaz khan) comes to meet Balachandran. He introduces himself as Bhadran and asks his help for marrying her sister. Balachandran gets angry and this leads to violence in the house. His father asks him to leave the house. On the next day, while travelling in a bus, his father has a heart attack and is admitted to hospital. Later he calls Balachandran and reveals that he has another family. Balachandran, on hearing this shocking fact, stands shock stricken, unable to accept his father's words while his father suffers another cardiac arrest which leads to his death. On his death bed he asks Balachandran to take care of his second family and also requests that his mother should never come to know about this. The rest of the story tells how Balachandran manages to solve all the problems.
- Mohanlal as Balettan
- Devayani as Radhika (Balachandran's Wife)
- Nedumudi Venu as Balachandran's Father
- Sudheesh as Balachandran's Younger Brother
- Riyaz Khan as Bhadran
- Jagathy Sreekumar as K K Pisharadi
- Harisree Ashokan as Manikandan
- Nithya Das as Devaki
- Innocent as Achumama
- Indrans as Koya
- Nandhu as Sukumaran
- Bhavani as Mohanlals mother
- Salu Kuttanadu as Neelandan
- Kalabhavan Mani as Musthafa
- Kalasala Babu as Father of Radhika
The movie was received by all types of audience positively with both hands. The audience were begging for a good script of a lal movie. The first day collection in Thiruvananthapuram alone was ₹1.3 lakh.
|1||Innale Ente||K. J. Yesudas|
|2||Cholakkiliye||M. G. Sreekumar|
|3||Karu Karu Karuthoru||Mohanlal|
|4||Chilu Chilum||M. G. Sreekumar, Sujatha|
|5||Innale Ente||K. S. Chithra|
- "Family entertainer". Screen Weekly. 10 October 2003. Retrieved 2009-04-01.
- "Film critics' awards announced". The Hindu. 1 February 2004. Retrieved 2009-04-01.
- "Tinsel World". The Hindu Business Line. 1 January 2004.
- C., Maya (12 September 2003). "Mohanlal pulls it off". The Hindu. Retrieved 22 November 2016.