Intersection of Main and Railway Streets
|Census division||Division No. 6|
|Post office Founded||1883|
|• Mayor||Frank Thauberger|
|• Administrator||Valerie Hubbard|
|• Governing body||Town Council|
|• Total||3.15 km2 (1.22 sq mi)|
|• Density||515.8/km2 (1,336/sq mi)|
|Postal code||S0G 0E0|
Balgonie was named for Balgonie Castle in Scotland. In 1882, the first train ran through the area on the Canadian Pacific Railway. A post office was established in 1883, and a school was built in 1891. Balgonie was incorporated as a village in 1903 and as a town in 1907. The town's population plummeted during the 1930s and 1940s, but the completion of the Trans-Canada Highway in the late 1950s brought new growth.
One of Balgonie's most famous residents was William Wallace Gibson (1876–1965), who created the first Canadian-built airplane. Gibson successfully flew his airplane in Victoria in 1910. Gibson was the subject of the 1991 stop-motion animated short The Balgonie Birdman, directed by Brian Duchscherer and produced by the National Film Board of Canada.
The municipality's growth has been both rapid and consistent. Between 1996 and 2001 the population grew 9.5%. Between 2001 and 2006 the growth rate increased even further, to 11.7%.
|Canada census – Balgonie community profile|
|Population:||1,625 (+17.4% from 2006)||1,384 (+11.7% from 2001)|
|Land area:||3.15 km2 (1.22 sq mi)||3.15 km2 (1.22 sq mi)|
|Population density:||515.8/km2 (1,336/sq mi)||439.3/km2 (1,138/sq mi)|
|Median age:||33.3 (M: 32.6, F: 34.3)||32.5 (M: 32.5, F: 32.5)|
|Total private dwellings:||574||474|
|Median household income:||$57,544|
|References: 2011 2006|
Home of Team Selzer, World Women's Curling Silver Medalists, and consistently competitive high school football.
- "2011 Community Profiles". Statistics Canada. Government of Canada. Retrieved 2014-04-09.
- National Archives, Archivia Net. "Post Offices and Postmasters". Retrieved 6 September 2009.
- Government of Saskatchewan, MRD Home. "Municipal Directory System". Retrieved 2014-03-11.
- McLennan, David (2008). Our Town: Saskatchewan Communities from Abbey to Zenon Park. Regina, Saskatchewan: Canadian Plains Research Center, University of Regina. pp. 19–20. ISBN 978-0-88977-209-0.
- Phillipson, Donald J. C. (2010). "William Wallace Gibson". The Canadian Encyclopedia. Historica-Dominion. Retrieved 2010-05-26.
- Brian Duchscherer (director) (1991). The Balgonie Birdman (Stop-motion animated film). National Film Board of Canada.
- Balgonie versus other cities' Community Profile
- "2011 Community Profiles". Canada 2011 Census. Statistics Canada. July 5, 2013. Retrieved 2014-03-11.
- "2006 Community Profiles". Canada 2006 Census. Statistics Canada. March 30, 2011. Retrieved 2009-02-24.
- Town of Balgonie
- Balgonie, SK Facebook
- Saskatchewan Roman Catholic Churches ~ Online Parish Registers ~ History >> Balgonie
|Pilot Butte||St. Joseph's|
|Emerald Park||White City||Davin|