Main street of Balik Pulau
|District||South-West Penang Island|
|• Local Government||Penang Island City Council (MBPP)|
|• Penang Island City Mayor||Dato' Patahiyah binti Ismail|
|• Balik Pulau Member of Parliament||Hilmi bin Yahya (UMNO)|
|Time zone||MST (UTC+8)|
|• Summer (DST)||Not observed (UTC)|
|International dialling code prefix||+6048 (landline only)|
Balik Pulau (literally meaning back of the island) is a town in Penang, Malaysia. Durians and other kinds of fruits are cultivated there. Balik Pulau is famous for its durians which include the 'ang heh' (red prawns) and 'holo' (gourd like) variety. The area was affected by the 2004 Indian Ocean tsunami.
Balik Pulau is the seat of South-West Penang Island district. The town is also one of the thirteen parliamentary constituencies in Penang, possibly the largest in land size, stretching about half of Penang Island, from Batu Feringhi (famous for modern resorts and beaches) at its north to Teluk Kumbar (traditionally a fishing village but now a booming town close to Bayan Lepas) at its south. The town centre of Balik Pulau, which is the location of the junction of Jalan Sungai Pinang, Jalan Balik Pulau and Jalan Tun Sardon, is also known by locals as 'Kongsi'.
Besides great food and breathtaking sightings (from the three major roads connecting the town to other parts of the island), Balik Pulau is also home to several pristine beach such as Pantai Pasir Panjang, Pantai Malindo and Pantai Kerechut, which are rather clean and normally quiet beaches. Pantai Pasir Panjang which is located near the tiny Pulau Betong island, had suffered the terrible tsunami that happened in 2004. Balik Pulau is also the location of two National Service Training Camps, namely the White Resort Camp and Sri Mutiara Camp.
- Hospital Balik Pulau
- Balik Pulau Branch Library
- South-west Penang Island Police headquarters
- Fire station
- Post office
- TNB power station
- TM telecommunications station
- PBA water authority office
- Balik Pulau Majistrate Court
- Islamic Syariah court
- Bank Simpanan Nasional (BSN)
- Bus station
- Balik Pulau Wet Market Complex and Food Court
- Broadband Internet connectivity is available from TM Net (DSL), and all major mobile providers (3G and GPRS Edge).
- RHB Bank
- Hong Leong Bank)
- Restoran Kalik, Indian-Muslim Nasi Kandar outlets operating around the clock (24x7: one at Kongsi (Bharvin), one at Taman Indah (Habeeb Mohamed) and another (Bharvin) at Simpang Empat)
- Two 24-hour convenience stores (7-Eleven)
- Petrol stations (two Petronas and one Shell)
- SK Saint George
- SK Kongsi
- SK Balik Pulau
- SK Genting
- SK Pulau Betong
- Maktab Rendah Sains MARA (MRSM) Balik Pulau
- SMK Seri Balik Pulau
- SMK St. George
- SMJK (C ) Sacred Heart
Prince of Wales Island International School
- Kolej Kemahiran Tinggi MARA (KKTM)
- Kolej Teknologi Pulau (KTP)
- Politeknik Balik Pulau, opened in November 2013 located at Pinang Nirai near to Kompleks Sukan Balik Pulau.
- Tourism University, being developed near the western coast of Pantai Acheh.
- Audi Dream Farm
Animal and vegetable farm in Sungai Rusa open to visitors.
- Balik Pulau Roundabout
A local landmark in Balik Pulau town with a water fountain at the junction of Jalan Sungai Pinang, Jalan Balik Pulau and Jalan Tun Sardon.
- Bao Sheng Durian Farm
Durian plantation located near Titi Kerawang waterfall between Balik Pulau and Teluk Bahang.
- Bukit Genting Leisure Park & Restaurant
Thai restaurant with panoramic view of Balik Pulau from the hilltop.
- Countryside Stables Penang
Horse and pony stable with pony rides for the family
- Church of the Holy Name of Jesus
Colonial-style Catholic Church built in 1854 in Balik Pulau town.
- Ghee Hup Nutmeg Factory
- Hakka Village Balik Pulau
A cultural village showcasing Hakka culture being developed in Kampung Pulau Betong.
- Happy Goat Farm
Goat farm in Permatang Pasir, Balik Pulau which produces various dairy products such as goat milk, cheese and yoghurt.
- Pantai Kerachut
Secluded beach located within the Penang National Park.
- Pantai Malindo
A quiet beach located at the estuary of Kuala Sungai Burong.
- Pantai Pasir Panjang
A remote beach located near Pulau Betong which is rather clean, pristine and tranquil.
- Saanen Dairy Goat Farm
A goat farm in Sungai Pinang, Balik Pulau.
- Titi Kerawang Waterfall
- Tropical Fruit Farm
- Cendol Simpang Empat owned by Haji Rahman from Pondok Upeh
- The Famous "ANG HE" Durians
- Laksa Janggus
- Various 'brands' of Balik Pulau's Durians
- Azlan Tomyam
- Restoran Kalik,ancient recipe Nasi Kandar
- Barvin 24 hours Restaurant
- Assam Laksa
- White Nutmeg drink
- Nasi Kandar Kasim Mustaffa
- Noorshah Network Enterprise
- Prawn & Crab Noodles
- Flat Hijau Taman Desa Genting
- "Malaysia: largest cities and towns and statistics of their population". World Gazetteer. Retrieved 2010-10-31.
- Bp.pp.my - Balik Pulau Facebook Group
- BalikPulau.net - Community Blog & Portal
- BalikPulau.org - Balik Pulau Social Entrepreneurs Club
- BalikPulau.com - Independent Informational Site
- Member of Parliament's Site for Balik Pulau
- Explore Balik Pulau - Balik Pulau Travel Site