Balingoan, Misamis Oriental
|Municipality of Balingoan|
Balingoan pier with Camiguin in the background
Map of Misamis Oriental with Balingoan highlighted
|Region||Northern Mindanao (Region X)|
|Founded||March 1, 1952|
|Barangays||9 (see Barangays)|
|• Type||Sangguniang Bayan|
|• Mayor||Aaron Paul S. Unabia|
|• Vice Mayor||Bella Veja D. Ongcachuy-Dilla|
|• Congressman||Christian S. Unabia|
|• Electorate||7,837 voters (2016)|
|• Total||57.80 km2 (22.32 sq mi)|
|• Density||190/km2 (500/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+8 (PST)|
|IDD : area code||+63 (0)88|
|Climate type||tropical climate|
|Income class||5th municipal income class|
|Revenue (₱)||50.6 million (2016)|
Balingoan, officially the Municipality of Balingoan, is a 5th class municipality in the province of Misamis Oriental, Philippines. According to the 2015 census, it has a population of 11,051 people.
Balingoan is politically subdivided into 9 barangays.
- Baukbauk (Poblacion)
- Lapinig (Poblacion)
- San Alonzo
Formerly part of Talisayan, it gained independence on March 1, 1952. According to the local legend,it derived its name from the word "baling ni juan" (John's Fishing Net), which later on became simply as "Balingoan".
|Population census of Balingoan|
|Source: Philippine Statistics Authority|
In the 2015 census, the population of Balingoan, Misamis Oriental, was 11,051 people, with a density of 190 inhabitants per square kilometre or 490 inhabitants per square mile.
Produce: Copra, fish, sea shells, fruits, vegetables, animal meat, and dairy products.
Feast day: May 29. Patron Saint: San Alonzo de Rodriguez
Port of Balingoan is the main port for travellers going to the provincial island of Camiguin. From Cagayan de Oro to Balingoan is about 86 kilometres (53 mi) and would take around 1.5 hours bus ride as well as from Butuan.
There are 9 Public Elementary Schools situated in Barangays San Alonzo, Bauk-bauk, Lapinig, Mantangale, Mapua, Kauswagan, Kabulakan, Dahilig and Kabangasan.
- "Municipality". Quezon City, Philippines: Department of the Interior and Local Government. Retrieved 31 May 2013.
- "Province: Misamis Oriental". PSGC Interactive. Quezon City, Philippines: Philippine Statistics Authority. Retrieved 12 November 2016.
- Census of Population (2015). "Region X (Northern Mindanao)". Total Population by Province, City, Municipality and Barangay. PSA. Retrieved 20 June 2016.
- Census of Population and Housing (2010). "Region X (Northern Mindanao)". Total Population by Province, City, Municipality and Barangay. NSO. Retrieved 29 June 2016.
- Censuses of Population (1903–2007). "Region X (Northern Mindanao)". Table 1. Population Enumerated in Various Censuses by Province/Highly Urbanized City: 1903 to 2007. NSO.
- "Province of Misamis Oriental". Municipality Population Data. Local Water Utilities Administration Research Division. Retrieved 17 December 2016.
- Municipality of Balingoan
- Philippine Standard Geographic Code listing for Balingoan - National Statistical Coordination Board
- Local Governance Performance Management System