Between the Stars and Waves
This article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Between the Stars and Waves|
|Studio album by Rivermaya|
|Released||October 10, 2003|
|Recorded||Birdhouse (Escueta Residence/Studio Espesyal)|
It is also the last album they recorded with Kakoy Legaspi who left months after this album was released.
All songs composed by Rico Blanco except where noted.
- "Sunday Driving" (4:12) (Music by: Japs Sergio & Rico Blanco)
- "A Love to Share" (3:15)
- "241 (My Favorite Song)" (4:35)
- "One Good Afternoon" (3:48) (Japs Sergio)
- "Balisong" (3:40) (Music by: Kakoy Legaspi and Rico Blanco)
- "Take My Cue" (3:39) (Mike Elgar)
- "Table for Two" (3:17) (Japs Sergio)
- "Atat" (3:51) (Mike Elgar and Rico Blanco)
- "She" (3:39) (Mike Elgar)
- "Noontime Show" (2:31) (Japs Sergio)
- "I Can't Let Go" (4:40) (Mike Elgar)
- "Pinaiyak Mo Na Naman Ako" (3:43) (Mike Elgar)
- "Squeezy" (5:03) (Mike Elgar)
- "Home" (4:30) (Mike Elgar)
- "A Love to Share (Acoustic)" (2:53)
- Executive Producers: Vic del Rosario Jr. & Vincent del Rosario
- Associate Producer: Joey E. Singian
- A & R: Romel Sanchez
- Art Direction, Photography and Original Artwork Commissioned for the Album: Kawayan de Guia
- Graphic Design and Lay-out: Maria Regina Tuazon
- Additional Lay-out: Restyabellatica
- Producer: Rivermaya
- Sound Engineer: Mark Escueta
- Assistant Sound Engineer: Rico Blanco, Mike Elgar, Japs Sergio, Kakoy Legaspi
- All songs feature vocals by Rico Blanco except for Track 7 by Japs Sergio and tracks 9,12 & 13 by Mike Elgar.
- Track 4 features an excerpt from "Panic" by the Smiths. Words and Music by Marr & Morrissey.
- Additional vocals on Track 4 by Kathy Meneses of Daydream Cycle
- Track 9 features Jerome Nunez of Mannos on violin with permission from Vicor Music Corp.
- All songs arranged by Rivermaya.
- All songs recorded and mixed at the Birdhouse (Escueta Residence/Studio Espesyal)
- Additional recordings at Hit Productions Inc.
- Mastered by Angee Rozul and Rivermaya at Tracks Studios.
The song was re-released when Rivermaya came out with their International EP You'll Be Safe Here.
Two music videos have been made for "Balisong". The first came out in 2004. It begins with a piano intro by vocalist Rico Blanco, then the band starts to play the song inside a room that is lit by sunlight. As the song progresses, pictures and letters are shown all over the room, revealing the "past relationship" that the song is portraying was being reminisced.
The second video came out in 2006, when Rivermaya had just released their international debut "You'll Be Safe Here". The video was set in a carnival where Rivermaya is one of the acts. This video also shows Rico Blanco playing the piano, but to a lesser extent. As the video plays, Rico Blanco is attracted to a certain woman, dressed in a red gown. He then comes up to the woman and sings to her the chorus of the song. The song ends when all the carnival acts leave and the band is left alone. This video was renamed "Bali Song," possibly to differentiate it from the first video.
"Balisong" is one of very few OPM songs which have two different videos made for them. Other songs performed by OPM bands which have two music videos are "You'll Be Safe Here" also by Rivermaya, "Narda" and "Ambisyoso" by Kamikazee, "Stars" by Callalily, "Yugto" by Rico Blanco, and "With A Smile" by Eraserheads.
In Philippine culture, balisong is a knife with a retractable blade. Strangely, the song does not reference the knife or even mentioned in the song lyrics. This song served as the official theme song of the 2017 movie 100 Tula Para Kay Stella,which stars Bela Padilla and JC Santos. Aside from the said movie in connection to the song, Balisong, the song is also used in CreamSilk's Modern Filipinas Transformed campaign with the appearances of Nadine Lustre, Yassi Pressman, Julie Anne San Jose, Coleen Garcia, Rachelle Ann Go, Heart Evangelista, Pia Wurtzbach, Lea Salonga, Anne Curtis & Sam Pinto in coincidence with the celebration of International Women's Day which is celebrated annually by all women worldwide.