Ballantyne (Charlotte neighborhood)
|Neighborhood Profile Areas||75, 169, 187, 188, 189, 253, 255, 257, 355, 356|
|Founded by||Bissell Companies|
|• City Council||Edmund Driggs (R)|
|• Total||5,114 acres (2,070 ha)|
|• Density||2,800/sq mi (1,100/km2)|
|Time zone||EST (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|Area code(s)||704, 980|
|Quality of Life Dashboard|
As of 2013, Ballantyne had a population of 22,704. The racial makeup of the neighborhood was 69.2 White American, 11.3% Asian American, 10.3% Black or African American, and 2.5% of some other race. Hispanic or Latino American of any race were 6.7% of the population. The median household income for the area was $96,435.
The 535 acre Ballantyne Corporate Park has over 4,000,000 sq feet of Class A office space and includes the headquarters of Babcock & Wilcox, Tree.com Inc, Snyder's-Lance Inc, Premier Inc, Extended Stay America, Inc, Fortune 500 company SPX and ESPN regional television.
Ballantyne offers shopping and dining conveniences at Ballantyne Village, Ballantyne Commons East, Ballantyne Quad and Ballantyne Corners.
In February 2010, The Charlotte Housing Authority and a developer wanted to include a low-income public housing project just south of the Ballantyne Country Club at Johnston Road and Providence Road West. The proposal was dropped following local opposition.
On April 14, 2012, residents met to discuss an idea of breaking away from the city of Charlotte to form their own city. In the history of North Carolina, this has never been done before. If it is done, the residents will name the new city Providence. However, there is currently[when?] a North Carolina community that already carries this name and has its own zip code.
- Ballantyne magazine
- "Ed Driggs, District 7 Representative". City of Charlotte. Retrieved 24 December 2014.
- "Quality of Life Explorer (acres)". City of Charlotte, Mecklenburg County, and UNCC. Retrieved 3 May 2015.
- "Quality of Life Explorer (population)". City of Charlotte, Mecklenburg County, and UNCC. Retrieved 3 May 2015.
- Wingate University to open Ballantyne campus in August
- "Quality of Life Explorer". City of Charlotte, Mecklenburg County, and UNCC. Retrieved 3 May 2015.
- Ballantyne Corporate Park Directory
- Bissell's Ballantyne bet pays off
- Developer drops Ballantyne-area affordable housing project - Charlotte Business Journal
- Ballantyne magazine