Ballard Power Systems
|Traded as||TSX: BLD
|Headquarters||Burnaby, British Columbia, Canada|
Ian Bourne, Chairman of the Board of Directors
Number of employees
|368 (June 2016)|
|Slogan||Putting Fuel Cells to Work|
Ballard Power Systems is a developer and manufacturer of proton exchange membrane (PEM) fuel cell products for markets such as heavy-duty motive (consisting of bus and tram applications), portable power, material handling as well as technology solutions including engineering services. Ballard has designed and shipped over 250 MW of fuel cell products to date.
Ballard was founded in 1979 under the name Ballard Research Inc. to conduct research and development on high-energy lithium batteries. Since committing to the development of PEM fuel cell technology in 1989, Ballard has delivered PEM fuel cell products worldwide to a number of leading product manufacturers.
Ballard Power Systems opened a fuel cell manufacturing facility in 2000 in Burnaby, B.C. Ballard went public in 1993 on the Toronto Stock Exchange, and in 1995 was listed on NASDAQ.
- access to 2,000 patents/applications
- over 250 MW of fuel cell products shipped
- 2.4 million MEAs manufactured
- 3,000 stationary systems delivered
- more than 9 million kilometers in revenue service by fuel cell buses
- $80 million contract with VW/Audio
- "The Practice of Innovation: Seven Canadian Firms in Profile" (PDF). Government of Canada. 2003. Retrieved 1 July 2016.