Balloch Central railway station
|Line||North Clyde Line|
|Original company||Caledonian and Dunbartonshire Junction Railway|
|Pre-grouping||Caledonian Railway & North British Railway|
|Post-grouping||LMS & LNER|
|15 July 1850||Opened as Balloch D&B|
|30 June 1952||Renamed Balloch Central|
|23 April 1988||Closed|
|Disused railway stations in the United Kingdom|
|Closed railway stations in Britain
A B C D–F G H–J K–L M–O P–R S T–V W–Z
|UK Railways portal|
For most of its passenger services, it was the terminal station. A few services, connecting with the steamer services to Tarbet and Inversnaid, continued to Balloch Pier. This pattern of service continued after electrification of the line in the 1960s. Between 1856 and 1934, it was served also by trains to/from Stirling over the Forth and Clyde Junction Railway. The main line from just north of Dalreoch Junction was singled in 1986 and thereafter all trains use the former southbound platform up until closure.
|Preceding station||Historical railways||Following station|
|Alexandria||CR & NBR
Caledonian and Dunbartonshire Junction Railway
The station was closed on 23 April 1988 and was replaced by Balloch station, situated immediately south of the level crossing. This relocation allowed the level crossing to be closed. Today the station building has been converted into the Tourist Information Centre. A section of platform survives behind the building.
- Butt (1995), page 24
- Casserley (1968)
- "Caledonian and Dumbartonshire Junction Railway" Crawford, Ewan Railscot; Retrieved 21 July 2016
- N/A (1984). "Strathclyde: the Review after the strike". In: Modern Railways, Vol. 42, No. 445, December 1985, Pages 650-651.
- N/A (1988). "News & Notes: Balloch rebuilt". In: Railway Magazine, Vol. 134, No. 1049, September 1988, Page 556.
- Butt, R. V. J. (1995). The Directory of Railway Stations: details every public and private passenger station, halt, platform and stopping place, past and present (1st ed.). Sparkford: Patrick Stephens Ltd. ISBN 978-1-85260-508-7. OCLC 60251199.
- Casserley, H. C. (1968). Britain's Joint Lines. London: Ian Allan. ISBN 0-7110-0024-7.
- Jowett, Alan (March 1989). Jowett's Railway Atlas of Great Britain and Ireland: From Pre-Grouping to the Present Day (1st ed.). Sparkford: Patrick Stephens Ltd. ISBN 978-1-85260-086-0. OCLC 22311137.
- Jowett, Alan (2000). Jowett's Nationalised Railway Atlas (1st ed.). Penryn, Cornwall: Atlantic Transport Publishers. ISBN 978-0-906899-99-1. OCLC 228266687.