Balloon (2017 film)
Theatrical Release Poster
|Directed by||Sinish Sreedharan|
|Music by||Yuvan Shankar Raja|
70mm Entertainment and Farmer's Master Plan Productions
|Distributed by||Auraa Cinemas|
Balloon is a 2017 Indian Tamil language horror comedy film written and directed by Sinish and produced by Dhilip Subbarayan, Arun Balaji and Nandakumar. The film stars Jai, Anjali and Janani Iyer in the leading roles. Featuring music composed by Yuvan Shankar Raja, the film began production during June 2016, and released on 29 December 2017.This film got ordinary success at the box office.
- Jai as Jeevanandham (Jeeva), Charlie and himself
- Anjali as Jacqueline and herself
- Janani Iyer as Shenbagavalli (Shembu) and herself
- Yogi Babu as Paanda (Nandha Babu) and himself
- Nagineedu as the community leader
- Joy Mathew as Father Andrews
- Ramachandran Durairaj as a henchman
- Karthik Yogi as Arokkiam
- Master Rishi as Jeeva's nephew
- Baby Monica as Charlie's daughter
- Subbu Panchu Arunachalam as Jeeva's brother
- Poster Nandakumar
- P. L. Thenappan
- K. S. G. Venkatesh as Cinema producer
- Raj Tarun as Jeevanandham (special appearance)
- Chandini Tamilarasan as Jeevanandham's girlfriend (guest appearance)
In March 2016, Jai signed on to appear in a horror film directed by Sinish, who had earlier made Endrendrum (2014) and worked as an assistant on the production of the shelved project, Vettai Mannan. Produced by Kandasamy Nandakumar and Arun Balaji, the director revealed that Jai would portray a married man and would have three separate looks in the film. Anjali was signed on to play the female lead role in June 2016, despite a statement by the actress in 2011 that she would not like to be in films starring Jai in the lead role. Titled Balloon, the film was launched in July 2016 and began production thereafter.
Following the success of Bigg Boss Tamil and the famous words of actress Oviya, the term "Neenga Shut Up Pannunga" was used in a song in the film. This promotional song was sung by Anirudh Ravichander and released on 28 August 2017, with Anjali going inside the Bigg Boss house to promote the film.
|Soundtrack album by Yuvan Shankar Raja|
|Released||5 December 2017|
|Genre||Feature film soundtrack|
|Producer||Yuvan Shankar Raja|
|Yuvan Shankar Raja chronology|
|1.||"Vaanam Dhaane"||Arunraja Kamaraj||Rizwan||2:53|
|2.||"Mazhai Megam"||Arunraja Kamaraj||Yuvan Shankar Raja, Priya Jerson||3:50|
|3.||"Uyirile Uyirile"||Arunraja Kamaraj||Vijay Yesudas, Priyanka||3:35|
|4.||"Shutup Pannunga"||Arunraja Kamaraj||Anirudh Ravichander, Arunraja Kamaraj||3:16|
|5.||"The Balloon's Mystery"||Arunraja Kamaraj||Title Track||2:10|
|6.||"Revenge Of The Joker (Theme)"||Arunraja Kamaraj||Instrumental||2:43|
|7.||"Shutup pannunga Titbit"||Arunraja Kamaraj||Anirudh Ravichander||1:06|
The film opened across Tamil Nadu on 29 December 2017, notably alongside two films that the film's co-producer Dhilip Subbarayan had worked in as an actor, Sangu Chakkaram and Ulkuthu. Times of India wrote "Balloon doesn't break any new ground in the horror genre, but it adapts a bunch of the genre's tropes — possessed kid, exorcism, revenge-seeking ghost and the like — to give us a solid horror film." Hindustan Times wrote "Balloon lacks elements that make us sit up. It works to an extent, but even that doesn’t leave us in awe." Behindwoods wrote "Debutante director Sinish Sreedharan’s Balloon is more of a thriller comedy than a horror. Of course, there are plenty of horror moments but the USP of the film is the comedy that keeps the audience entertained in the first half." New Indian Express wrote "Balloon’s story or scares aren’t novel but the laughs are. The humour and one-liners are the saving grace in this film, that is a predictable mish-mash of some memorable horror moments from the past." Firstpost wrote "Balloon is a well made horror comedy that provides the necessary thrill needed for the genre." The Hindu wrote "Balloon is uninventive and ends up repeating sequences from earlier horror flicks".
Despite the favourable response it had at the box office, the film's co-producers, T. N. Arun Balaji and Kandasamy Nandhakumar of 70 MM Films, filed a complaint against Jai to the Tamil Film Producers Council citing that the actor's unprofessional behaviour delayed the film's release. The complaint stated that the shoot for the film began in June 2016 and the film was expected to release by January 2017. However, it was delayed multiple times solely because of Jai and his actions led to the production house seeking a payment of Rs 1.50 crore. They added that Jai failed to turn up on the dates he had given, and did not cooperate with the makers, leading to the film’s release being postponed to September 2017 and his failure to attend the dubbing sessions delayed the release even more. It was also alleged that he regularly attended the shooting spot drunk, and as a result of Jai's troubles, director Sinish contemplated suicide during the making of the film in Kodaikanal.
- "Balloon (Baloon) Tamil Movie, Wiki, Story, Review, Release Date, Trailers,Balloon 2018 - Filmibeat". FilmiBeat. Archived from the original on 2 October 2017. Retrieved 7 December 2017.
- "When Jai was surprised on his birthday". Top 10 Cinema. 8 April 2017. Archived from the original on 10 April 2017. Retrieved 9 April 2017.
- Balloon Movie released on 29 Dec 2017 - Review
- "Horror interests Jai too!". deccanchronicle.com. 25 March 2016. Archived from the original on 26 August 2017. Retrieved 7 December 2017.
- Ramanujam, Srinivasa (24 March 2016). "Jai to sport three looks in next". Retrieved 7 December 2017 – via www.thehindu.com.
- "Anjali and Jai pair up again!". deccanchronicle.com. 17 June 2016. Archived from the original on 26 August 2017. Retrieved 7 December 2017.
- "Jai, Anjali part ways — Times of India". indiatimes.com. Archived from the original on 2 September 2017. Retrieved 7 December 2017.
- "Jai Anjali movie title Balloon — Tamil Movie News — IndiaGlitz". indiaglitz.com. Archived from the original on 26 August 2017. Retrieved 7 December 2017.
- "Anirudh's hand for Jai's horror film". Top 10 Cinema. 25 August 2017. Archived from the original on 26 August 2017. Retrieved 26 August 2017.
- "Balloon 2018 Tamil Movie Audio Songs Mp3 Free Download". musics24.com. Archived from the original on 6 December 2017. Retrieved 7 December 2017.