View of Ballygunge Circular Road
Ballygunge (Bengali: বালিগঞ্জ) is a locality in South Kolkata, India. It is flanked by Park Circus in the north, Kasba and the Eastern Railway south suburban line in the east, Dhakuria and the Lakes (now called Rabindra Sarobar) in the south, and the localities of Bhowanipore and Lansdowne in the west. The postal code of Ballygunge area is Kolkata 700 019.
Ballygunge is home to some of the following educational institutions in Kolkata:
- Army Public School, Kolkata, Ballygunge Maidan Camp
- Ballygunge Government High School, Beltala
- Basanti Devi College, 147B Rash Behari Avenue, Kolkata
- Jagadbandhu Institution, 25, Fern Road, Kolkata.
- Kamala Girls' High School, Lake Road (Kavi Bharati Sarani)
- Modern High School for Girls, Syed Amir Ali Avenue
- Patha Bhavan (Montessori, Primary, High and Higher Secondary Schools), Swinhoe Street, Ekdalia Road, Palm Avenue, Ballygunge Place and Merlin Park
- South Point School, Mandeville Gardens
- St. Lawrence High School, Ballygunge Circular Road
- St. Xavier's College, Ballygunge Circular Road
People from Ballygunge
- Anup Ghoshal, Bengali film singer
- Aroti Dutt, social worker
- Buddhadeva Bose, writer
- Buddhadev Bhattacharya, former Chief Minister of West Bengal
- Buddhadeb Guha, novelist and poet
- Debabrata Biswas, Rabindra Sangeet singer
- Gurusaday Dutt, folklorist and civil servant
- Ghanshyam Das Birla, businessman and industrialist
- Hemanta Mukherjee, singer, composer, and film producer
- Indrajit Gupta, politician
- Jibanananda Das, poet
- Jyoti Basu, former Chief Minister of West Bengal
- Mani Shankar Mukherjee, writer
- Prof. Meghnad Saha, physicist, founder of the Saha Institute of Nuclear Physics
- Nares Chandra Sen-Gupta, Bengali novelist and legal scholar
- P. C. Sorcar, Jr., magician
- Pranab Mukherjee, Union Cabinet Minister
- Ruma Guha Thakurta, Singer, Actress and founder of Calcutta Youth Choir, lives at 38 Ballygunge Place.
- Sarat Chandra Chatterjee, novelist
- Satyajit Ray, film maker of worldwide fame, Academy Award Winner, used to live on Lake Temple Road.
- Sachin Dev Burman, music composer
- Satyendra Chandra Mitra, Congress leader and first President of the Bengal Legislative Council (1937–42)
- Satyendranath Tagore, author and linguist
- Somnath Chatterjee, Speaker of the House of the People (Lok Sabha)
- Subhas Mukhopadhyay, physician, credited with the second "test tube" birth in the world
- Subrata Mukherjee, former Mayor of Kolkata
- Suchitra Sen, famous Bengali film actress lived on Ballygunge Circular Road.
- Suchitra Mitra, playback singer, actress, and professor
- Sunil Gangopadhyay, well known novelist and poet, lived in Mandeville Gardens
- Swarnakumari Devi, poet, musician, and social worker
'KCI Plaza' at Ashutosh Chowdhury Avenue
Paramount Apts, Ballygunge Circular Rd
Gariahat Flyover near Golpark
Astral Apts & Atria shopping plaza
Gariahat Road 'Pantaloons'
'Birla Temple', Ashutosh Chowdhury Avenue
||Wikimedia Commons has media related to Ballygunge.
Kolkata/South travel guide from Wikivoyage
Coordinates: 22°32′N 88°22′E / 22.533°N 88.367°E