|This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Head chef||Jason Fahey & Gillian Hegarty|
|Rating||Michelin Guide (1975-1980)|
The Yeats Room of Ballymaloe House is a restaurant located in Shanagarry in County Cork, Ireland. It is a fine dining restaurant that was awarded one Michelin star in the period 1975-1980. The Michelin Guide awarded the restaurant the "Red M", indicating 'good food at a reasonable price', in the period 1981-1994. The Egon Ronay Guide awarded the restaurant one star in the periods 1975-1981, 1983-1984 and 1987-1988.
The kitchen style of Ballymaloe House is Modern Irish.
In 1964 the Allen family, who had inherited the Ballymaloe estate, converted the old dining room into a restaurant. They named the restaurant The Yeats Room. In 1967 the first few rooms were converted into hotel rooms, to accommodate guests who liked to stay. Later still the Ballymaloe Cookery School was established.
In the time Ballymaloe House was awarded the Michelin star, Myrtle Allen was the head chef. Since at least 2008, Jason Fahey has been the joint head chef. Around 2011, he was joined in that role by Gillian Hegarty.
History of the house
The oldest parts in the present Ballymaloe House can be traced back to an Anglo-Norman castle built on this site around 1450. The castle was held by members of the Desmond FitzGerald families, of Cloyne, particularly Sir John FitzEdmund FitzGerald.
After many demolition works and rebuilding, most of the present building was completed in 1820. In 1990 and 2000 limited works were done on the building.
.goodhotelguide .com /Ireland /Ireland-Co .-Cork-SHANAGARRY-Ballymaloe-House-903
- Michelin Online Archived October 10, 2011, at the Wayback Machine.
- 1979 Michelin Great Britain and Ireland. London/Clermont-Ferrand: Michelin Tyre Co. Ltd./Michelin et Cie. 1979. p. 581. ISBN 2 06 006599 2.
- The emergence, development and influence of French Haute Cuisine on public dining in Dublin restaurants 1900-2000: an oral history. Thesis DIT by Mairtin Mac Con Iomaire, 2009. 3 downloadable volumes.. Part 2, p. 345
- The emergence, development and influence of French Haute Cuisine on public dining in Dublin restaurants 1900-2000: an oral history. Thesis DIT by Mairtin Mac Con Iomaire, 2009. 3 downloadable volumes.. Part 2, p. 348
.jancisrobinson .com /articles /corking-cuisine
.blogspot .ie /2011 /03 /secret-garden-supper .html
- Ballymaloe House – History May 23, 2012 by Annemarie Foley
- Fitzgerald, John Fitzedmund (1528-1612) (DNB00) wikisource