|Elevation AMSL||1,722 ft / 525 m|
Balmaceda Airport (IATA: BBA, ICAO: SCBA) is an airport next to the village of Balmaceda, serving the Aysén Region of Chile. The airport is 4 kilometres (2.5 mi) west of the Argentina border, it is located 55 km south-east of Coyhaique, the regional capital.
In 2016 works to improve the airfield and expand capacity were commenced consisting of resurfacing the damaged runway surface, the building of a new 30 m wide parallel taxiway, a new control tower, expansion of the apron, and improvements to other administrative structures. These were made with an investment of approximately 27 billion pesos, much of which were national funds intended for the development of remote regions of the country.
In April 2018 the new taxiway entered use as a temporary runway (designated 09L/27R) to enable repair works on the main runway.
Airlines and destinations
|LATAM Chile||Puerto Montt, Santiago de Chile|
|Sky Airline||Puerto Montt, Santiago de Chile|
Accidents and incidents
On 8 April 1968, Douglas C-49K CC-CBM of LADECO crashed on approach, killing all 36 people on board. The aircraft was operating a domestic scheduled passenger flight from Los Cerrillos Airport, Santiago.
- Airport record for Aeródromo Balmaceda at Landings.com
- Airport information for Balmaceda Airport at Great Circle Mapper.
- "Location of Balmaceda Airport". Google Maps. Google.com. Retrieved 12 February 2018.
- Balmaceda VOR
- Balmaceda NDB
- "CONTRATO: AMPLIACIÓN AREA MOVIMIENTO AERÓDROMO BALMACEDA, XI REGION" (PDF). MOP - Dirección de Aeropuertos. September 8, 2016. Retrieved May 29, 2018.
- "Aeródromo de Balmaceda suma nueva pista y torre de control". Economía y Negocios. November 25, 2017. Retrieved May 29, 2018.
- SCTZ NOTAM C0052, Chilean AIP.
- "Sky Airline Adds New Domestic Routes in NW16". routesonline. Retrieved 2 August 2016.
- "CC-CBM Accident description". Aviation Safety Network. Retrieved 24 July 2011.
- OpenStreetMap - Balmaceda
- OurAirports - Balmaceda
- SkyVector - Balmaceda
- FallingRain - Balmaceda Airport
- Accident history for Balmaceda Airport at Aviation Safety Network
- Current weather for Balmaceda Airport at NOAA/NWS
|This article about an airport in Chile is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|