Balmorhea, in Maryland in 2010.
|Genres||Post-rock, minimal music|
|Past members||Nicole Kern
Balmorhea (pronounced bal-mə-ray) is a six-piece minimalist instrumental ensemble  from Austin, Texas, that was formed in 2006 by Rob Lowe and Michael Muller. Balmorhea were influenced by William Ackerman, The Six Parts Seven, Tortoise, Rachel's, Gillian Welch, Max Richter, Arvo Pärt and John Cage.
The band self-released their first album, self-titled Balmorhea, in April 2007, and their second album Rivers Arms in February 2008, and released a limited EP in the fall of 2008. The group released their third full-length album, All is Wild, All is Silent on Western Vinyl Records. Their fourth full-length album, Constellations, was released in February 2010 on Western Vinyl, and their fifth, Stranger, was released late October 2012. The band released the Heir 7" in 2014 as a companion to the re-release of their 2007 eponymous debut. The song "Bowsprit," from the album Constellations, was used as the opening theme for the SundanceTV television series Rectify.
Balmorhea, called "an exemplary experiment in restraint" by The New Yorker, has toured the US and Europe eight times each, including shows with Tortoise, Thurston Moore, Fleet Foxes, Mono, CocoRosie, Sharon Van Etten, Damien Jurado, Efterklang, This Will Destroy You, and others. Additionally the band has performed at Austin City Limits Music Festival, SXSW, Fun Fun Fun Fest, and the Hopscotch Festival among others. Their music has been featured and reviewed by Pitchfork, BBC, Paste, Interview Magazine, NME, The Wall Street Journal, NPR, The Atlantic, and many more.
- Aisha Burns – violin, vocals
- Rob Lowe – guitar, piano
- Michael Muller – guitar, bass guitar
- Jeff Olson – drums, vibraphone
- Sam Pankey – double bass, bass guitar
- Nick Soberon – cello, guitar
- Mike Bell – drums
- Bruce Blay – drums
- Travis Chapman – double bass, bass guitar
- Kendall Clark – drums, vibraphone
- Jacob Glenn-Levin – bass guitar
- Nicole Kern – cello
- Erin Lance – cello
- Dylan Rieck – cello
- Taylor Tehan – drums
- Dave Wiley – cello
- Balmorhea (2007)
- Rivers Arms (2008)
- Tour EP (2008)
- All Is Wild, All Is Silent (2009)
- Constellations (2010)
- Candor / Clamor (2010 7" Vinyl) (2010)
- Live at Sint-Elisabethkerk (2011)
- Stranger (2012)
- HEIR EP (2014)
- Clear Language (2017)
- "Featured Artist: Balmorhea". Retrieved 24 October 2017.
- "15 Questions to Balmorhea - Balmorhea USA Experimental". www.tokafi.com. Retrieved 24 October 2017.
- "Balmorhea: All Is Wild, All Is Silent | Album Reviews". Pitchfork. 2009-06-05. Retrieved 2012-07-05.
- "Balmorhea: Constellations | Album Reviews". Pitchfork. 2010-03-04. Retrieved 2012-07-05.
- "Balmorhea: Stranger". A.V. Club. 2012-12-18. Retrieved 2012-12-18.
|This indie rock band-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|